Walter Sickert: Whitechapel Murderer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
    Damn. I was expecting acute comment, Gareth. I was being obtuse, no doubt.
    I just didn't want you to feel that I was putting you under the cosh, that's all
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Oh, that was excellent. (None of you can see this, but I just put down my laptop and stood up to applaud.) I'm sorry my last post was so lame. My only excuse is that I was out mowing our lawn this afternoon, and it's very hot here. I was probably dehydrated or something. Anyway, I bow to a master.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        ... "co-signing" a post is better than going off at a tangent
        Just adding my opinions.
        Me?
        For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

Hi y'all...new to the forum.

Here's what I think about WS...

In all likelihood, he probably wasn't JTR but there is no denying that he was a very eccentric individual obviously was interested in the crimes, his artwork is certainly macabre-like, and PC may have shown he might've in the very least wrote a Ripper letter ot 2

In short, while I would definitely place Sickert near the bottom of the list of Ripper suspects, I wouldn't srike hm off the list just yet.
          I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Good evening Mr Sickert, and welcome,

The vast majority of Sickert's work is far from macabre. Have you explored it further than the few mentioned by Ms Cornwell?

Almost the whole of London and most of England was interested in the crimes and it was not just Mr Sickert who represented the killings in his work.

Many, many artists are eccentric - it is what gives them their inspiration and Sickert was painting at a time when art was becoming much more than just portraits and landscapes.

If Ms Cornwell really wanted to prove Sickert was the Ripper, she would have made much more of an effort to determine where he was during the autumn of 1888, or at least at the time when some of the women were killed.

Comment

Right on, Limehouse!

Some of Sickert's work was morbid and macabre - he once said that he was influenced by the works of Edgar Allen Poe, and how morbid and macabre is that?

He probably was interested in The Ripper Crimes, probably did write so-called Ripper letter just for jolly, but he was that kind of guy.

And I don't think anyone could be in Dieppe and Whitechapel at the same time...

Cheers,

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                Good evening Mr Sickert, and welcome,

The vast majority of Sickert's work is far from macabre. Have you explored it further than the few mentioned by Ms Cornwell?

Almost the whole of London and most of England was interested in the crimes and it was not just Mr Sickert who represented the killings in his work.

Many, many artists are eccentric - it is what gives them their inspiration and Sickert was painting at a time when art was becoming much more than just portraits and landscapes.

If Ms Cornwell really wanted to prove Sickert was the Ripper, she would have made much more of an effort to determine where he was during the autumn of 1888, or at least at the time when some of the women were killed.
                I second Grahams applause. Nicely framed LH.

All the best.

Comment

Thanks chaps!

Comment

I heard on a previous Rippercast that Patricia Cornwell is working with keith Skinner in writing a follow up to her Sickert JTR book. Is this still going on?
                    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      And I don't think anyone could be in Dieppe and Whitechapel at the same time...
                      Usain Bolt would give it a bloody good try!
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Highly Highly unlikely to be Mr S!!!!!

Gareth- I made the 'Bolt' remark last night when he flashed (ran) across my screen!

OK Sickert was an 'interesting ' man and to my mind a great artist- I think this back and fore to Dieppe lark may have become tied into the 'I went to France with a gentleman but didn't like it etc etc ' bit in the MJK malarky and therefore become some sort of 'fact'

Walter has maybe.....maybe still has a lot of odd things in his life and times but there again so did Whistler,Wilde, Beardsley etc etc etc....Oh and Crowley! ()
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Found this sketch by Sickert in the Cafe Royal book*...' The Barnacle Woman'
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	sick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	657479

Interesting sketch if nothing else......... and the 'inscription ' in reversed writing is interesting too I guess- in a Leonardo sort of way- .....her hum....

* That's 'Cafe Royal- Ninety Years of Bohemia' - Guy Deghy and Keith Waterhouse 1955
                          Last edited by Suzi; 08-19-2009, 12:27 AM.
                          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Although I think the Royal Conspiracy theory to be BS, is there any truth to the claim that Sickert met or was acquainted with Prince Edward Albert Victor at all? I mean, since he knew such well-hknown people as Whistler, Degas, Oscar Wilde, and Ellen Terry, I wouldn't discard that he might've hobnobbed with royalty too.

Also, even though Joseph Gorman Sickert made up the whole story to Stephen Knight about Gull, Netley, and Sickert, is there any truth to the claim that he was Wally's illegimate son or is that just a load of crap too?

Comment

Crap.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Which part, Mike?

The association with the Prince or Joseph claiming to be Sickert's son?

Comment

Working...
                                X