Favoured Suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favoured Suspects

Who are peoples favoured suspects and why?

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
    Who are peoples favoured suspects and why?
    Hutch-knew victim, involved in stalking behavior, waited till inquest was over to come forward, unbeleiveable description of His suspect-A-man. Places himself near victim at approx. TOD and outside her door. Typical profile serial killer avg. Joe. Fits general description as stout/short(sarah lewis).

Blotchy-last credible suspect seen entering Marys place. never seen to leave. never came forward. Local avg Joe. possible description fits Lawende suspect.

Chapman-Known serial killer of women. Threatened wife with knife. Lived in area. Police suspect at the time. Abberline suspected. Known to be violent. fits description-even cap with peak (see my sig).

Bury-Known killer of woman-killed wife-knife used, abdomen mutilated, burned clothes (same as Kelly crime scene). Known to be violent. person of interest at time. Known to frequent prostitutes and pubs. local (well bow at least but had cart) avg Joe.

Kelly-killed wife with knife, person of interest at time, fits general description, local-transient, avg Joe. Mental issues and violent.

Koz-Only suspect with possible direct evidence against-ID by witness. named by three police officials. threatened sister with knife. mental issues-somewhat violent. Local avg Joe.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

William Bury, for the reasons you would give, i.e. victim mutilated, chalk writing.

Francis Thompson. Spent six years as a medical student-Dr Phillips seemed to think JtR was a medical expert, which would completely rule out the vast majority of suspects.

Hated women. Was probably living at the Provedence Row night shelter at the time Kelly was murdered, which was about 100 yards from Dorset Street.

Wrote poetry about mutilating women. Soon after the murders wrote about killing female prostitutes with knives.

Fits the profile of this type of killer extremely well, i.e. was a multiple arsonist and had only one relationship with a woman, a prostitute who left him just before the Whitechapel murders began- June 1888. Of course, this could have acted as a catalyst for the subsequent murders.
      Last edited by John G; 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I'm a sucker for Police suspects, mainly because they knew so much more than we do so

Kos, Doc, and Montie (in no real order).

I see potential in Kelly (if just he could be linked to London at the time) and Deeming was one of the nastiest bits of work to walk God's green earth so I'd love to see it all on him.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I tend to prefer or dismiss the suspect of any book I'm currently reading, depending on the quality of the author's research.

Once I've finished the book commonsense takes over again and I go back to no favoured suspect.

I'm currently reading Mike Hawley's Tumberty book.
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

Not much fun, but like Donald Rumbelow I think JtR's name may have slipped through the cracks of time and we may never know.
            But if I have to pick someone from the known suspects, I think Levy. I think he could have been the Butchers Row suspect. But it's nothing more than a guess.
            Last edited by lilyofthevalley; 05-12-2016, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              Hutch-knew victim, involved in stalking behavior, waited till inquest was over to come forward, unbeleiveable description of His suspect-A-man. Places himself near victim at approx. TOD and outside her door. Typical profile serial killer avg. Joe. Fits general description as stout/short(sarah lewis).

Blotchy-last credible suspect seen entering Marys place. never seen to leave. never came forward. Local avg Joe. possible description fits Lawende suspect.

Chapman-Known serial killer of women. Threatened wife with knife. Lived in area. Police suspect at the time. Abberline suspected. Known to be violent. fits description-even cap with peak (see my sig).

Bury-Known killer of woman-killed wife-knife used, abdomen mutilated, burned clothes (same as Kelly crime scene). Known to be violent. person of interest at time. Known to frequent prostitutes and pubs. local (well bow at least but had cart) avg Joe.

Kelly-killed wife with knife, person of interest at time, fits general description, local-transient, avg Joe. Mental issues and violent.

Koz-Only suspect with possible direct evidence against-ID by witness. named by three police officials. threatened sister with knife. mental issues-somewhat violent. Local avg Joe.
              Said this before but witnesses like Hutch do exist, notably the hairdresser who gave a perfect description of the Swedish Foreign Minister's murderer but was not believed by the police because the description was "too perfect".

Best wishes
              C4

Comment

Originally posted by lilyofthevalley View Post
                Not much fun, but like Donald Rumbelow I think JtR's name may have slipped through the cracks of time and we may never know.
                But if I have to pick someone from the known suspects, I think Levy. I think he could have been the Butchers Row suspect. But it's nothing more than a guess.
                I basically agree U. N. Known should be the favourite.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Its interesting that the same sort of thing a few months back gives a slightly different result for me

Top is Still Kos, with the rider it could be someone else very like him, but some confusion some where. the reasoning is 3 senior officers name him, two suggest some form of id took place.

Next Levy, could fit into the above, he certainly had a trigger to start him off. And could easily be the suspect watched by Cox/Sagar.

Now a change, Tumblety has moved back up following Mike Hawley's excellent new book. he is suggested by Littlechild, and is certainly worth a new look.

Then Druitt and Bury and Cutbush in no particular order.

steve

Comment

Said this before but witnesses like Hutch do exist, notably the hairdresser who gave a perfect description of the Swedish Foreign Minister's murderer but was not believed by the police because the description was "too perfect".
                    But is there any evidence to suggest that the hairdresser in question was seen loitering near the scene of the crime shortly before it occurred, and only came forward after learning he had been seen by another witness? I'm not aware of anyone having suggested that Hutchinson's description was "too perfect"; it is simply not plausible given the reported circumstances and the brevity with which the sighing allegedly occurred. Unless the above was true of the hairdresser, there's not an awful lot to suggest he was "like Hutch"

All the best,
                    Ben

P.S. Not an invitation to start another monster Hutchinson debate, as this thread relates to all suspects and persons of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                      I tend to prefer or dismiss the suspect of any book I'm currently reading, depending on the quality of the author's research.

Once I've finished the book commonsense takes over again and I go back to no favoured suspect.

I'm currently reading Mike Hawley's Tumberty book.
                      How are you thinking after reading it has he moved up or down?
                      G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                        In my mind there is no getting around this. Couple that with the fact he lived in the heart of Whitechapel and was under intense surveillance after the Kelly murder and was subsequently institutionalised soon after.

I had my moments with Chapman too. But in the end, with the evidence we have, it always comes back to AK. I could be wrong.

Comment

It's Mr U.N. Known for me too. An anonymous little man no one took much notice of. If I was forced, under threat of thumbscrews or something, to name a likely suspect I think it would be Levy. I'm convinced Mr Ripper knew his patch inside out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                            But is there any evidence to suggest that the hairdresser in question was seen loitering near the scene of the crime shortly before it occurred, and only came forward after learning he had been seen by another witness? I'm not aware of anyone having suggested that Hutchinson's description was "too perfect"; it is simply not plausible given the reported circumstances and the brevity with which the sighing allegedly occurred. Unless the above was true of the hairdresser, there's not an awful lot to suggest he was "like Hutch"

All the best,
                            Ben

P.S. Not an invitation to start another monster Hutchinson debate, as this thread relates to all suspects and persons of interest.
                            Hello Ben

Hutch did have a valid reason for being there. And something I read about Anderson (I think) has stayed in my mind. It was that he made a decision after "consulting with his friends". Is it so inconceivable that a working class man would do this? That Hutch wanted to be sure about what he should do? And I have read that some have found Hutch's description too detailed.

Best wishes
                            C4
                            Last edited by curious4; 05-12-2016, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                              It's Mr U.N. Known for me too. An anonymous little man no one took much notice of. If I was forced, under threat of thumbscrews or something, to name a likely suspect I think it would be Levy. I'm convinced Mr Ripper knew his patch inside out.
                              For me too, I'm afraid...I think he's lost to history now. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he had lodgings on, or near, Whitechapel High Street but that's about it.

I'd love a dusty old box to turn up in someone's attic, bursting at the seams with all the proof anyone would ever need of his true identity, but I'd also like to win the next Euromillions. Since I don't actually do the lottery, I think the chances of my box turning up are roughly the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X