Clarke's Yard, Poplar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarke's Yard, Poplar

Does anyone know what became of the location where Mylett's body was found? If this has already been discussed then I cannot find it anywhere, apologies if it has though.

Thanks for any help - appreciated as ever.

The area around and including Clark's Yard was demolished in the mid 1930s (1936 I believe).
    This is the spot now. The entrance to Clark's Yard would be just to the right of the sign that says 'Norwood House'

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poplar High Street 2008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	659131

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob that's brilliant - what is the address of that road?

I don't suppose you have a map of the area with Clarke's Yard extant do you, just to help compare? Or anyone?

See, you give me an inch and I want a mile. Seriously though that's excellent Rob -even now I am still regularly amazed by how quickly people can come up with answers on here.

See you next week Rob?

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post

I don't suppose you have a map of the area with Clarke's Yard extant do you, just to help compare? Or anyone?

See, you give me an inch and I want a mile. Seriously though that's excellent Rob -even now I am still regularly amazed by how quickly people can come up with answers on here.

See you next week Rob?
        It's Poplar High High Street. The yard was originally between 186 and 188 Poplar High Street.

Here it is on an 1894 Map. Harrow Lane is still there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poplar 1894.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	659132

Yep you'll see me baring an accident.

Rob

Comment

Cheers Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post

See you next week Rob?
            Yes, the combined knowledge on here is amazing, isn't it? So good to be able to read and ask questions --- even dumb ones.

curious

Comment

A more recent one of the scene. Also some pictures from the area behind the flats in what was the actual yard. The black bricks are from the rear wall which faces the railway line (now Docklands Light Railway I think). I think it is the original rear boundary wall (partially rebuilt) of the yard. Also a couple of shots of what I think would have been the inner front wall of the yard (to the west of the passage). Again partially rebuilt, but the lower courses look old and are probably original.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X