Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for books on the Thames torso murders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for books on the Thames torso murders?

Hi guys,

I've tried using the "search" function to find reviews for books on the Thames torso murders, but received too many irrelevant hits.

There aren't too many books available on the subject, but if anybody here has read them, could you recommend 1 or 2.

Thanks.

There are only two books specifically on the Thames Torso Murders. Of the two I recommend reading The Thames Torso Murders by MJ Trow first as its much better than R Michael Gordan's Book The Thames Torso Murders of Victorian London. I also recommend looking at Ripper suspect Henry Wentworth Bellsmith, usually wrongly referred to as G Wentworth Bellsmith as I believe he may have been The Thames Torso Killer. He moved into London in 1873 when the first Torso Murder occurred and moved to the USA shortly after the last Torso Murder in 1889. I must however warn you that this is my suspect for The Torso Murders and few have even considered him for the Torso Murders. Although MJ Trow mentions him in his The Thames Torso Murders book. He predictably labels him as G Wentworth Bellsmith rather than Henry Wentworth Bellsmith as has been proven was far more likely to be his actual name by persons on this site. The case against Henry Wentworth Bellsmith is however a long way from being water tight and is circumstantial at best but I believe he is worth a look and is a much better match for the Thames Torso Murders than the Ripper murders.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
      There are only two books specifically on the Thames Torso Murders. Of the two I recommend reading The Thames Torso Murders by MJ Trow first as its much better than R Michael Gordan's Book The Thames Torso Murders of Victorian London. I also recommend looking at Ripper suspect Henry Wentworth Bellsmith, usually wrongly referred to as G Wentworth Bellsmith as I believe he may have been The Thames Torso Killer. He moved into London in 1873 when the first Torso Murder occurred and moved to the USA shortly after the last Torso Murder in 1889. I must however warn you that this is my suspect for The Torso Murders and few have even considered him for the Torso Murders. Although MJ Trow mentions him in his The Thames Torso Murders book. He predictably labels him as G Wentworth Bellsmith rather than Henry Wentworth Bellsmith as has been proven was far more likely to be his actual name by persons on this site. The case against Henry Wentworth Bellsmith is however a long way from being water tight and is circumstantial at best but I believe he is worth a look and is a much better match for the Thames Torso Murders than the Ripper murders.

Cheers John
      Hi John,

Quite informative, although (except for an occasional book essay on the "torso" murders) I really never fully read up on the case. But the name of the author M. J. Trow sounds familiar. What other books on crime did he write (if any)?

Jeff

Comment

Mayerling, I have read one of Trow's books on a true crime; 'Let him have it Chris': the story of Derek Bentley' which I enjoyed.

Comment

I have the Trow book on the Torso murders. I enjoyed it and found it informative. There is a chapter on one of the possible victims titled The Girl with the Rose Tattoo. Unfortunately for Trow research by Debra Arif, on this site, determined that she probably didn't have a tattoo. Oops!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            Hi John,

Quite informative, although (except for an occasional book essay on the "torso" murders) I really never fully read up on the case. But the name of the author M. J. Trow sounds familiar. What other books on crime did he write (if any)?

Jeff
            Hi Jeff,

Sorry to interject! He wrote Jack the Ripper:Quest for a Killer. The book suggests that JtR was Robert Mann, a Whitechapel mortuary assistant. I read the book some time ago and found it an interesting read. However, I don't think Mann was JtR!

Comment

Hi Rosella and John G.,

Thanks for the responses on Mr. Trow. I think the Bentley book was the basis for the film about that notorious case from about fifteen years ago (the movie that is).

Jeff

Comment

I'd suggest Jack the Ripper..the forgotten victims. Trow's book is good to read as it doesn't waste time focusing on a suspect. But Debs says it's wrong on a lot of facts...I learned some things I from i thought were interesting...but like Forgotten better...(its only a few chapters on torsos)

Comment

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Luckily, JtR Forgotten Victims is at the library, but I will need to purchase the Trow book on Amazon. Both should make interesting reads for the next few weeks .

Comment

Working...
                  X