What was withheld??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my knowledge it never did C4.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
      Wouldnt an accessory before the fact or after the fact be regarded as equally guilty in the eyes of the law?How could any such accomplice be given a free pardon or amnesty anyway?
      Exactly who would have the authority to grant such a pardon, the Queen?

Stan Reid

Comment

• Perhaps it wasn't an official pardon but rather just a police promise not to prosecute.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Or a promise from the QC.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
            Hi,
            How about the suggestion that the police formed an opinion that the Millers court murder was committed in daylight , making it more obvious that the killer may have had difficulty in reaching his den, or being inconspicuous once there, without someone having knowledge, or suspicions.
            I Have always held that opinion.
            Regards Richard.
            I would not argue with that Richard.

Stan Reid

Comment

• An indication that perhaps he lived or had refuge nearby.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Or, had an excuse for having blood on his person.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Since som many documents on the case got lost during the WW2, its seems that we will never know for sure what was withheld and what not.
                  " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

• That could be true Luke. Hopefully some of the City files were pilfered as with the Met files and are waiting to be discovered in someones attic.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Stan, Luke, all,

It looks like many of the Met documents went missing during the 60's and 70's, following the revival of interest in the Ripper with the two books in 1965 and then Farson, the Stowell theory, etc. Many of these documents would have disappeared into personal collections and their value would be known. My hope is that as the owners pass on and leave these items to their family, some of these items will be returned or at least published and made public. It might take generations, but I'm convinced that some of these documents will become available again one day.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• There's a Guy I know who, as a young PC, was based at Arbour Square.

He told me that as a young PC, sometime in the 60s/70s, he was sent to Commercial St Police Station with a couple of other new Bobbies. His task was to incinerate old witness statements from numerous crimes dated around the mid to late 1800s. He was told that space was needed.

Don Rumbelow once told me that Policemen are terrible historians. Most have no concept of the historical significance of their documentation. Rob and I have advised the police on some historical queries put to us by the City Police (identifing location photos/JTR queries).

So whilst some docs have been pilfered, others have just been destroyed. If it wasn't for Don a lot of the City stuff would have perished, we owe Don a mass of gratitude. If it wasn't for Don we wouldn't have the MJK photos, and Rob and I wouldn't have been able to have identified some of the City PCs involved in the Eddowes case.

Monty
                        Last edited by Monty; 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM.
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Monty, you capitalized 'Guy'. That's interesting. You mean 'Jon Guy'? And yes, unfortunately you're correct. I don't like to think of these documents being destroyed and much prefer the thought that they're safe in the hands of collectors awaiting to be thrust once again upon the world. But the sad reality is that many left this world long ago. It's remarkable to me that these officers would dig into the boxes marked 'Whitechapel murders' and think it made sense to burn them when there were so many other options for 'shelf space'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Don Rumbelow once told me that Policemen are terrible historians. Most have no concept of the historical significance of their documentation. Rob and I have advised the police on some historical queries put to us by the City Police (identifing location photos/JTR queries).

So whilst some docs have been pilfered, others have just been destroyed. If it wasn't for Don a lot of the City stuff would have perished, we owe Don a mass of gratitude. If it wasn't for Don we wouldn't have the MJK photos, and Rob and I wouldn't have been able to have identified some of the City PCs involved in the Eddowes case.
                            When did the first MJK photo resurface? If I recall, Barlow & Watt mentioned seeing it in their 1973 series.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Heart info

Originally posted by sdreid View Post

If Kelly's heart was truly missing, that might be something along the line. If so, was that the only example?

Hi sdreid,
                              I'm not sure if someone commented on this or not yet because I just started reading this thread. But what I wanted to say was yes I think the police withheld info for future use against the killer.
                              About Kellys heart, my opinion is that it was taken and the police were holding that information(or at least trying to) because they didnt want to happen what happened before with Eddowes. Where word got out to the public about her kidney being taken and after word was out they recieved a human kidney and since it was public knowledge they couldnt be sure if in fact it was Eddowes or if it was just some idiot playing a sick joke.
                              This way, if the police did not make it public that the heart was missing and they recieved a part or all of one in the mail, then they could be certain that it was in fact, from the killer.

Comment

• Hi there,

I've been wondering for a while now if MJK's heart was thrown on the fire by the murderer. A case of 'may you burn in Hell', bearing in mind the heart had for centuries been assumed to be the centre of our emotions.

Any thoughts?

Carol

Comment

Working...
                                X