Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Herlock Sholmes 50 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Elamarna 55 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Herlock Sholmes 1 hours ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Elamarna 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Fisherman 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (25 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (11 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (10 posts)
Rippercast: Oh, Dear Boss: The Ripper Had All The Luck - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Audio -- Visual

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,043
Default

I've watched 3 episodes so far, all late at night so I did 'nod off' for a few seconds. I saw Stewart Evans who didn't endorse Holmes but just gave the benefit of his knowledge. If Paul was in it I may have missed it or it's in a later episode?

Not exactly unbiased are they?

Holmes possibly 'mistaken' for Tumblety!

Americanisms in the letters but no mention that most people (even senior police officers at the time) believe them to be hoaxes!

Holmes pseudonyms on ships manifests when it would be more surprising if those names couldn't be found!

It all smacks of desperation to me.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Who do you have in mind? Did anyone endorse H.H. Holmes as the Ripper?
No, but some presented misleading Ripper facts didnt they ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Pcdunn Pcdunn is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,643
Default

I got caught up with the final episode tonight. Holmes' grave was exhumed and proved to be quite a puzzle box (almost an "Oak Island" treasure hunt), with two false caskets buried atop the real one containing the murderer's body.
Aside here-- given what Holmes knew of the body-snatching game and insurance hoaxes, I can definitely see him leaving detailed instructions for his burial, as well as the cash to secure they were followed.
DNA tests matched Mudgett, so we know Holmes did die at the end of a rope, and wasn't responsible for the so-called "Holmes curse" nor other Ripper-like killings.

Mudgett, however, is still hoping for the JtR angle. I foresee a second season , alas.
__________________
Pat D.
---------------
Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 PM
peg&pie peg&pie is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northants
Posts: 14
Default

I got the impression the interviews with noted ripperologists were heavily edited to seem more favourable, or at least not completely destructive to their theory's.

What's with digging up the 1872 fake picture of Eddowes and claiming it to be authentic. Did I miss something a while back ?

You need to watch this series with a clear understanding of it's intent. That is entertainment. I can watch it on that level. If you try to take it seriously your blood will boil!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:42 PM
PaulB PaulB is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
No, but some presented misleading Ripper facts didnt they ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
I don't know, Trevor. Did they? Who are you talking about? What misleading information did "they" present? How did it do their reputation or the reputation of Ripperology no good? I haven't had the opportunity to watch the whole series, so I'm wondering what I should watch for that led you to be critical of Ripper authorities and specifically which ones you meant.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
I don't know, Trevor. Did they? Who are you talking about? What misleading information did "they" present? How did it do their reputation or the reputation of Ripperology no good? I haven't had the opportunity to watch the whole series, so I'm wondering what I should watch for that led you to be critical of Ripper authorities and specifically which ones you meant.
No names. no pack drill, they know who they are, as do all those who watched it. I am afraid I am not like you, I am not into character assassinations.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 AM
PaulB PaulB is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
No names. no pack drill, they know who they are, as do all those who watched it. I am afraid I am not like you, I am not into character assassinations.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor,
Straight in with the rudeness, I see.

How do you know the experts who appeared on the show know who they are?

I havenít seen anyone whoís watched the show be critical of any Ripper authorities, so Iím not sure they know who you ae talking about either.

Yes you are into character assassination. What do you think writing, ďAnd some of the Ripperologists used in this debacle, have also not done themselves, or ripperology any favoursĒ is? It's character assassination. Quite a few authorities appeared on the television programme and you are leaving your allegation hanging over all of them. It is therefore only fair that you be asked to be specific about who you mean and why you think their appearance hasnít done Ripperology any favours. At least those people would then have the opportunity fess up, explain themselves, or possibly even refute your allegation.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:06 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Trevor,
Straight in with the rudeness, I see.

How do you know the experts who appeared on the show know who they are?

I havenít seen anyone whoís watched the show be critical of any Ripper authorities, so Iím not sure they know who you ae talking about either.

Yes you are into character assassination. What do you think writing, ďAnd some of the Ripperologists used in this debacle, have also not done themselves, or ripperology any favoursĒ is? It's character assassination. Quite a few authorities appeared on the television programme and you are leaving your allegation hanging over all of them. It is therefore only fair that you be asked to be specific about who you mean and why you think their appearance hasnít done Ripperology any favours. At least those people would then have the opportunity fess up, explain themselves, or possibly even refute your allegation.
What I wrote did not name any names. So how can that be classed as character assassination, and I am my own master, I do and say what I want not, what you tell me to do. I am entitled to my own opinion as is everyone else, and if that doesn't sit well with you then thats tough.

If you haven't seen all the episodes then I would suggest you take time to view them all, then you will no doubt have the answers to your own questions

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-31-2017, 03:41 AM
PaulB PaulB is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
What I wrote did not name any names. So how can that be classed as character assassination, and I am my own master, I do and say what I want not, what you tell me to do. I am entitled to my own opinion as is everyone else, and if that doesn't sit well with you then thats tough.

If you haven't seen all the episodes then I would suggest you take time to view them all, then you will no doubt have the answers to your own questions

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Never mind, Trevor. Not having seen any authority on the television programme say or do anything to bring themselves or this subject into disrepute, and not having seen anyone else level that accusation, I thought you might be able to enlighten me. When someone makes an allegation it is reasonable to expect them to substantiate it if asked to do so, but it seems to be beyond your capacity to do that.

Instead you have to be rude, falsely accuse me of indulging in character assassination, and wander off into nonsense about not having to do or say what I tell you, being entitled to your own opinions, and so forth. Sheesh, all I asked was for you to justify something you said. But if you won't or probably can't do that. Fine. No problems.

As a quick aside, some people might conclude that not naming names is an unsavoury tactic used by some to imply something about people who they lack the chutzpah to name, but I think this sort of nebulous allegation is simply unfair. It hangs the allegation over the head of everyone who appeared on the television programme, and it doesn't give those to whom it does apply the opportunity to offer an explanation. There is also the possibility that the person not naming names is simply trying to maliciously and unjustifiably malign the authorities who appeared on the programme. I am not suggesting anything like that in this case, of course, but clarity would instantly dispell the thought from the heads of those who might have thought it.

And to the very best of my knowledge I have never maliciously harmed the reputation of a good person (the definition of "character assassination", I believe). So, unless you can name an instance where I have done this, it would be the right and decent thing to withdraw your statement.

Last edited by PaulB : 08-31-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-31-2017, 03:47 AM
PaulB PaulB is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg&pie View Post
I got the impression the interviews with noted ripperologists were heavily edited to seem more favourable, or at least not completely destructive to their theory's.

What's with digging up the 1872 fake picture of Eddowes and claiming it to be authentic. Did I miss something a while back ?

You need to watch this series with a clear understanding of it's intent. That is entertainment. I can watch it on that level. If you try to take it seriously your blood will boil!
Do you mean the fake picture of Stride? That was wonderful. Daniel Olsson, in Ripperologist, 141, December 2014, published the full photograph, which had been sold on eBay by an elderly gentleman. It was of his Southampton-resident great-grandmother, Catherine, a sometime dressmakerís model. So they found a photograph in that box allegeldly Holmes's, which had a 64% match to a dressmakers model named Catherine who lived in Southampton. What, I wonder, does that say for that whole technique of photo matching?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.