Question for Wolf...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Wolf...

Wolf can you tell me which of the three authors of your book wrote this about Chapman as I want to quote you/him.

[Chapman] poisoned his ‘wives’ simply to gloat over their agony. In his own way, he cared more for Mrs Spink, Bessie Taylor and Maud Marsh than for any other women who came into his eventful life, yet he could watch them slowly dying without the slightest compunction’... he was ‘the supreme hypocrite who would feign grief over the sufferings of the women dying slowly at his hands.

Dan Norder, Wolf Vanderlinden, Stewart P. Evans Ripper Notes: How the Newspapers Covered the Jack the Ripper Murders
    p84, 87.

Thanks, Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Hi Helena.

First of all, Ripper Notes Magazine, The International Journal For Ripper Studies, to give its full title, was, as it states, a magazine and not a book. However, under the editorship of Dan Norder #19 – 28 were published in softcover form with 100+ pages and were considered to be “books” by the book selling industry (I was Associate Editor from Issue #20 to 27 and then a full editor for #28). The issue you are asking about was #21, January, 2005, and its theme was “How the Newspapers Covered Jack the Ripper.

To answer your question, the quote comes from author Norman Hastings who wrote this in an article in Thomson’s Weekly News in June, 1930. It was Nick Connell who rediscovered the series of articles by Hastings and allowed us to published his transcription of Hastings writings as well as writing a brief introduction for the piece.

Wolf.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Wolf, I will make sure I cite it correctly. Would this be correct?

Norman Hastings, Thomson’s Weekly News, June 1930, quoted in Dan Norder, Wolf Vanderlinden and Stewart P. Evans (2005) Ripper Notes Magazine, The International Journal For Ripper Studies #21: How the Newspapers Covered the Jack the Ripper Murders.

One more question -- who WAS Norman Hastings?

Helena
      Last edited by HelenaWojtczak; 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Hi Helena.

I think this is correct:

Norman Hastings, Thompson’s Weekly News, June 1930, quoted in When The People Were In Terror, Introduction by Nicholas Connell, Ripper Notes Magazine, #21, January, 2005, Dan Norder, Editor.

Stewart contributed an article in that issue but wasn’t one of the editors.

Norman Hastings was a researcher and writer who wrote articles for various newspapers in the 1920’s and 30’s. Other than that I don’t know anything about him.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
          Hi Helena.

I think this is correct:

Norman Hastings, Thompson’s Weekly News, June 1930, quoted in When The People Were In Terror, Introduction by Nicholas Connell, Ripper Notes Magazine, #21, January, 2005, Dan Norder, Editor.

Stewart contributed an article in that issue but wasn’t one of the editors.

Norman Hastings was a researcher and writer who wrote articles for various newspapers in the 1920’s and 30’s. Other than that I don’t know anything about him.

Wolf.
          THanks!

Comment

Working...
          X