the Myth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kensei View Post
    Interesting how the background in the sketch is blurred.
    Could that be because the whole scene was imagined by the artist? I might be making something out of nothing, Ken, but it appears that those ladies - all of them - are depicted wearing bustles. If so, I struggle to understand how so many women in Kelly's circle would have had access to such fashionable accessories. This might only be a generic "Victorian ladies mourning" caricature, hastily drawn to illustrate the newspaper article, rather than a faithful eye-witness sketch by someone who was actually there.
    Last edited by Sam Flynn; 11-08-2008, 03:57 PM.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Could that be because the whole scene was imagined by the artist? I might be making something out of nothing, Ken, but it appears that those ladies - all of them - are depicted wearing bustles. If so, I struggle to understand how so many women in Kelly's circle would have had access to such fashionable accessories. This might only be a generic "Victorian ladies mourning" caricature, hastily drawn to illustrate the newspaper article, rather than a faithful eye-witness sketch by someone who was actually there.
      Thats a good point. The press were there weren't it so it is possible that someone drew this from accounts. Still would be nice to know who was there. Wasn't there one account of a family member being there.
      In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

I've read through this and the 2004 thread with interest. given the number of people around during and immediately after the funeral this grave-spitting scenario seems most unlikely, esp as the account of the funeral (which reads as though it was written by someone in attendance) implies that the grave was filled in whilst the mourners were still there which would be normal practice. The idea that most of the funeral party withdrew leaving Barnett alone with a grave covered by boards is fanciful in the extreme - the boards would be left there to cover the grave after it was dug in case of rain but would not be replaced once the coffin had been lowered, surely?

As I've mentioned on another thread, I knew Farson quite well in later life and worked on hsi last book with him. He was not above embellishing and re-arranging the facts to achieve a dramatic effect or to 'point up' a character to suit his ends, certainly at that stage; he may have been more professional in earlier life before drink took its toll. My experience is that his research and grasp of the requirements of scholarship were both very questionable.

It seems suspicious to me that this purported letter went 'missing' when someone suggested making a programme about it. It would not surprise me in the least if it never existed! (Sorry, Dan...)

One scenario which hasn't been mentioned, were the story true, is that it could have been any member of the public (or cemetery worker) disgusted by MJK's lifestyle. I don't believe the story however - there were far too many observers around for any man to risk such a gesture

Comment

Working...
        X