Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know the origin of this image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know the origin of this image?

I was looking through a Pinterest board of Ripper-related images the other night and came across this strange one:

Jan 31, 2019 - This Pin was discovered by QueenofOJ. Discover (and save!) your own Pins on Pinterest

My first thought was that this is a modern photo manipulation of the famous morgue photograph, with special care taken on the hair, eyes, and lips. Whatever it is, I think it's really eerie and it's piqued my curiosity.

Unfortunately, the link to the original source of the image doesn't work, so I can't trace it that way. I can't read the writing at the bottom either.

Has anyone else seen this before and can tell me where it comes from?

I placed the two photos side by side and there are parts that are the same ie: Eyebrows, nose, eye sockets, head, left cheek, ear and angle of chin. I would say it is a touched up photo of the mortuary picture.
    Quite well done though

Pat.......

Comment

I agree with Paddy, it looks like a retouched copy of the mortuary photograph.

I enlarged the image to try and make sense of the writing at the bottom of the picture, is that a "..otter.." at the bottom right hand side of the image?

Liz was born Elisabeth Gustafsdotter.

Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
        I agree with Paddy, it looks like a retouched copy of the mortuary photograph.
        Thirded. The adjacent photo purporting to be 'Poly' [sic] Nichols is spurious, though.
        I enlarged the image to try and make sense of the writing at the bottom of the picture, is that a "..otter.." at the bottom right hand side of the image?
        The image is reversed, and the writing actually says ©ForgottenFacesandLongAgoPlaces.blogspot.com

Here's the relevant part of the image turned the right way round:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stride writing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	667011
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by LMY View Post
          Unfortunately, the link to the original source of the image doesn't work, so I can't trace it that way. I can't read the writing at the bottom either.
          Try ForgottenFacesandLongAgoPlaces.blogspot.com
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Wow. I'm glad you solved that. Otherwise I would probably still be staring at that writing.

I looked through the vintage photo blog and didn't see the Stride pic posted, so I'm assuming the blogger took it down at some point. It looks like she posts scans of actual photos she's found, so that deepens the mystery a little.

Comment

I have found the actual picture on the vintage photo blog. It has been super imposed over a woman with same hair, dress and collar but has been flipped.
              Someone must have copied hers and played around with it...The surround is the same. I shall try to post it but my computer is dying and freezes all the time now. But Iassure you it is the same hair, brooch. buttons and collar. Even the hair slide.... Oh and surround is same only shows more of womans body....

Pat....

Comment

This is the photo you might need to blow it up to see detail...
                Pat.....
                Attached Files

Comment

THis is same photo cropped and flipped...Pat
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I have found the actual picture on the vintage photo blog. It has been super imposed over a woman with same hair, dress and collar but has been flipped.
                    Nice find! and you're quite correct about the superimposition.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Very interesting! No telling what people will get up to with photographic retouch programs.

Did anyone notice the "flipped and cropped" photo purporting to be Stride bears the incorrect date of "18888"? I presume she is a time-traveler from the year 18,888!!
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

Working...
                      X