Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Simon Wood 2 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 23 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 33 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 43 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 46 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 48 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (46 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (18 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Druitt, Montague John

Old 12-01-2016, 12:05 AM
Inactive

The 1921 article is quoting Sir Melville Macnaghten's memoir chapter (4) "Laying the Ghost of Jack the Ripper".

It can be found on this site. Here is the final climax:

"Only last autumn I was very much interested in a book entitled The Lodger, which set forth in vivid colours what the Whitechapel murderer's life might have been while dwelling in London lodgings. The talented authoress portrayed him as a religious enthusiast, gone crazy over the belief that he was predestined to slaughter a certain number of unfortunate women, and that he had been confined in a criminal lunatic asylum and had escaped therefrom. I do not think that there was anything of religious mania about the real Simon Pure, nor do I believe that he had ever been detained in an asylum, nor lived in lodgings. I incline to the belief that the individual who held up London in terror resided with his own people ; that he absented himself from home at certain times, and that he committed suicide on or about the 10th of November 1888, after he had knocked out a Commissioner of Police and very nearly settled the hash of one of Her Majesty's principal Secretaries of State."

The words about the Ripper being almost omnipotent against two officers of the state is how the chapter ends. It is purest hyperbole as Jeff wrote: Mathews could not be sacked without the government falling on the numbers and Warren did not resign over the Whitechapel murders, but over an indiscreet essay for a newspaper (that he did not concede was indiscreet).

Macnaghten despised Warren for blackballing him from joining the Yard until the Commissioner himself was out. I think Mac is therefore deliberately teasing Warren by having the Ripper maybe kill himself on Nov 10th 1888, because that is the very date that Warren's resignation to Matthews was accepted (it was sent on the 8th,m and on the 9th Mary Jane Kelly was killed, hence the popular perception that the Commissioner had resigned over the case.)

To Paddy

I quite understand why you made that erroneous interpretation, as Macnaghten writes cryptically and ambiguously in his memoir about the un-named Druitt.

I also subscribe to the theory that when Douglas G. Browne wrote his book on the history of the Yard, in 1956, he also mistook those lines for being literally true. Consequently he thought that Macnaghten was referring to an abortive attempt to kill the Home Sec, in 1888 by Irish terrorists -- and there was such a plot -- and wrote, wrongly, that Mac identified the leader of the terrorists with the Ripper.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 AM
Detective

It will require a decent researcher (not me) to look a little closer at the Majendie family.
I am having trouble trying to discover the familial relationship if any, between Vivian Majendie and Lewis Ashurst Majendie who married the daughter of the Earl of Crawford (who pops up in a dissertation about a possible source for Mcnaghten's 'family' member)
Lewis's daughter Aline was a Maid of Honour to Queen Victoria from 1894 to 1901.
JH is on to something here. Read more sympathetically.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote