Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 28 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 38 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Fisherman 52 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Simon Wood 59 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 1 hour and 27 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (46 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (23 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 12-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Hi Graham,

He could have just Ďarrangedí for it to happen while he was at the chess club. It could then have been said that someone had simply learned of Wallaceís hobby and saw their chance.
Hi HS,

I genuinely and honestly doubt if WW employed an early 1930's equivalent of Jack 'The Hat' McVitie, but if he had, then why didn't The Hat strike on the night Wallace was at the chess club? Why concoct a weird alibi for the next evening? Was it because The Hat was elsewhere doing another hit...?

Graham
Old 12-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hi HS,

I genuinely and honestly doubt if WW employed an early 1930's equivalent of Jack 'The Hat' McVitie, but if he had, then why didn't The Hat strike on the night Wallace was at the chess club? Why concoct a weird alibi for the next evening? Was it because The Hat was elsewhere doing another hit...?

Graham
Hi Graham,

It’s certainly difficult to see how Wallace could have persuaded anyone (Parry included) to be in on a plan. Especially a plan that involves Mr X (or indeed Parry) risking the gallows.
Anyone planning to kill Julia (and steal cash) could have done it either when Wallace went on his morning round, when Wallace went on his afternoon round or while he was at the chess club. The Qualtrough phone call smacks of an ‘alibi’ to me

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Hi Graham,

Itís certainly difficult to see how Wallace could have persuaded anyone (Parry included) to be in on a plan. Especially a plan that involves Mr X (or indeed Parry) risking the gallows.
Anyone planning to kill Julia (and steal cash) could have done it either when Wallace went on his morning round, when Wallace went on his afternoon round or while he was at the chess club. The Qualtrough phone call smacks of an Ďalibií to me
Absolutely. Either the call was Wallace himself as part of a murder plot or a prank IMO. There is no use for the call otherwise; there is nothing it could achieve that could not be acquired thru easier and more reliable means.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:50 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi HS and AS,

I think you can tell by the tone of my previous post that I don't really give much credence to WW hiring a hit man....

.....so do you thing that the phone call was a prank and completely coincidental?

Graham
Old 12-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Superintendent

Hi Graham,

I personally donít give much credence to the idea of a prank call. I just canít see it myself. And like you I donít see Wallace turning Don Corleone and hiring a hit man. Itís not impossible of course that he might have persuaded Parry to do the job, he needed cash, but thereís nothing to suggest any payment being made. Thereís also the risk of Parry being arrested and spilling the beans. Itís also a big step from petty theft/embezzlement to a brutal murder of someone that he knew and might even have been fond of.
Iím certain that the call was either to get Wallace away from the scene (despite there being many other opportunities) or else it was an alibi for Wallace.

Herlock

Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Superintendent

A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all on the Wallace thread.

Herlock

Old 12-29-2017, 07:06 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hi Caz,

yep, quite so, but in concocting a business reason for being out of the house at a rather non-business time, maybe he felt that would be slightly more convincing than just telling Julia he was nipping down the road to see so-and-so. I'm only speculating, any way.

Bye,

Graham
Hi Graham,

But in the scenario whereby someone else was going to do the actual deed for Wallace, it wouldn't have mattered what he told Julia as long as he was provably elsewhere for the duration. That's all I meant.

The whole Qualtrough business shone the spotlight on Wallace in a thoroughly negative and unnecessary manner if he wasn't acting alone in bumping off the missus. If he was acting alone, he had to make the best of an imperfect alibi job - which the ruse undoubtedly proved for him, or he would never have been charged in the first place.

It's the same if Parry acted alone or with someone else. By rights Wallace should have had a perfect alibi if totally innocent. In his shoes I'd have set off a fair bit earlier for the 7.30 appointment with a complete stranger at an unfamiliar address and been well on my way, asking around for directions on the tram, by the time the milk boy eventually showed up.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 12-29-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:24 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
Hi Graham,

But in the scenario whereby someone else was going to do the actual deed for Wallace, it wouldn't have mattered what he told Julia as long as he was provably elsewhere for the duration. That's all I meant.

The whole Qualtrough business shone the spotlight on Wallace in a thoroughly negative and unnecessary manner if he wasn't acting alone in bumping off the missus. If he was acting alone, he had to make the best of an imperfect alibi job - which the ruse undoubtedly proved for him, or he would never have been charged in the first place.

It's the same if Parry acted alone or with someone else. By rights Wallace should have had a perfect alibi if totally innocent. In his shoes I'd have set off a fair bit earlier for the 7.30 appointment with a complete stranger at an unfamiliar address and been well on my way, asking around for directions on the tram, by the time the milk boy eventually showed up.

Love,

Caz
X
Hi Caz,

But Wallace had little choice as regards the time he left on account of his last regular appointment. Thus, he finished this last call at around 5:55-this was verified by the customer-arriving home at about 6:05. This then allowed him a relatively brief period-40 minutes according to him-with which to finish a light tea, have a wash, change his collar, and to gather his papers for the Qualtrough call.

Maybe this quick turnaround was one of the reasons why he initially equivocated about whether he would visit Qualtrough at all.

Last edited by John G : 12-29-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to all on the Wallace thread.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, Herlock. Although I'm a bit late for the Merry Christmas, I'm afraid! Mind you, as it's my birthday today I shall be enjoying an extended New Year celebration!

Last edited by John G : 12-29-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:47 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, Herlock. Although I'm a bit late for the Merry Christmas, I'm afraid! Mind you, as it's my birthday today I shall be enjoying an extended New Year celebration!
Happy Birthday John!

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year

I think the timeline of events is very significant. I'm trying to say this without sounding prejudiced to my conclusion; If Wallace was guilty, then the timing lines up exactly with what you would expect. At least from my POV, he would not be able to act until the milk boy had come and left and then he would have to spring into action right away.

Whether you think this is even possible is another question we've debated in the past as regards to the limited time he would have, being bloodfree, and the weapon disposal. But I think it's a bit odd that the time line fits that scenario, when if he left literally just a few minutes earlier, he would be totally in the clear.

And as CAZ points out, one could be forgiven for expecting that he would do so.

Therefore it becomes important to consider whether it is reasonable that he left when he did, changed collar, had tea etc. It strikes me if he was that casual about heading on business to an unfamiliar address across town, it is odd he went all.

His going on a lousy winter's evening when his wife was sick with cold, on a day he made 400 calls shows that for some reason he found it very important to go. He could be forgiven for not going at all and blowing Qualtrough off or assuming it was a prank. In his shoes, I probably would have done so. Instead, he decides to go, showcasing how critical this prospective client was to him. One could argue that he was sufficiently enticed by the chance at a commission or "professional recognition", but then why was he so casual with the timing, arriving in the neighborhood right before 7:30 without knowing precisely where he was going? This also, to my mind, makes it more surprising that he did not consult a map beforehand for such a crucial business venture.