Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Fisherman 27 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by Fisherman 30 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - by Fisherman 33 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by AmericanSherlock 1 hour and 4 minutes ago.
Rippercast: Oh, Dear Boss: The Ripper Had All The Luck - by GUT 2 hours ago.
Rippercast: Oh, Dear Boss: The Ripper Had All The Luck - by DirectorDave 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (26 posts)
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (18 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (6 posts)
Rippercast: Oh, Dear Boss: The Ripper Had All The Luck - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
.... So, why can't an owner turn down a special order when it conflicts with his personal beliefs?
It was my understanding a private business owner can refuse service to anyone.
He doesn't have to give a reason, like a landlord in a pub who can refuse service without giving a reason.
I don't agree with the reason this baker gives for refusing service, but it's his right to refuse service. If I understand this correctly, it's the reason he chose to give which makes it unlawful, race, religion, sex, etc. are not justifiable reason's.

This is why I think he is making a political issue out of it, he didn't need to give a reason, but he chose to give a controversial reason instead of avoiding the controversy altogether. But, as with many others, I maybe have not heard the whole story yet.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Chief Inspector

Good point, Wickerman, ŕnd I think it started with the lawsuit brought by the prospective clients, because of the baker's stated reason for his refusal of their business. Colorado law doesn't allow discrimination against others on the basis of race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual preference, legal status, or mental or physical handicap. Colorado judges have supported the plaintiffs, and the Baker is hoping a conservative Supreme Court will overrule our State Supreme Court.

it is definitely politicized, I think.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
During oral argument the justices were asking about a message that you don't agree with. What if someone came into a Jewish bakery and requested a cake with a message that said we need another Holocaust? Should the Jewish baker be required by law to make it? These are tough questions.

c.d.
Would a baker be entitled to refuse to bake a cake for someone on account of their race or religion? There is, of course, the Civil Rights Act, 1964, but this legislation only applies to public accommodation, which includes "any restaurant, cafeteria, lunch room, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises..."
Old 12-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Commisioner

Like so many US Supreme Court cases these days- a Court sharply divided on ideological lines- it looks like the decision will be determined by Anthony M Kennedy's swing vote: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/u...iage-cake.html
Old 12-11-2017, 01:07 AM
Chief Inspector

Isn't this the case where a young employee accepted the order, but once the owners realized the cake was for a gay wedding, they then turned it down?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:50 AM
Commisioner

It’s a tough one, but I’m leaning towards the gay couple on this one.

Although if I were gay and this happened to me, I wouldn’t want anything to do with the owner, his business etc, and move on. But I suppose they are doing it for the principal of it and for future situations.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-11-2017, 04:55 AM
WWotW

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Or should a Muslim caterer be required to make sausage balls for a brunch? Would they be required to cook bacon recipes, etc. There has to be a way to respect everyone . . .

The muslim caterer gets to offer a menu of what services they do and do not provide. No outside force can come in and demand you make something not on your menu.

The way to respect everyone is: if a baker disagrees with legal marriages in this country, don't make wedding cakes, just like the muslim baker doesn't cook pork products.

End of problem.

Let all Oz be agreed;
I'm Wicked through and through.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:11 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
It’s a tough one, but I’m leaning towards the gay couple on this one.

Although if I were gay and this happened to me, I wouldn’t want anything to do with the owner, his business etc, and move on. But I suppose they are doing it for the principal of it and for future situations.
I agree with you, Abby.

There's also the little matter of why you'd want to force someone to make food or drink for you if that person is reluctant because they happen to have a personal problem with your sexuality, religion, hair colour or whatever. I was brought up to believe it's never wise to upset the person with the power to secretly spit in your soup - or worse.

If someone wanted to refuse me one of the services or products they openly offer, on the grounds of who I am or what I believe in, I wouldn't want to give them my custom. Similarly if they were okay with serving me but refusing to serve others, I hope I'd walk out and take my custom elsewhere. But I'd still like to see them exposed and ridiculed for their stupidity and to lose business as a result.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
The muslim caterer gets to offer a menu of what services they do and do not provide. No outside force can come in and demand you make something not on your menu.

The way to respect everyone is: if a baker disagrees with legal marriages in this country, don't make wedding cakes, just like the muslim baker doesn't cook pork products.

End of problem.
Exactly, Ally.

If bakers want to make money out of flogging wedding cakes, it should be none of their business who is actually getting married assuming it's a legal union. If they don't want to flog wedding cakes for same sex marriages, tough. They needn't offer the service at all. It's not like there aren't a million other excuses and occasions for people to want a special cake. I'd have one made right now with "Happy Monday Afternoon" written on it if it wouldn't play such havoc with my efforts to squeeze into my Christmas party frocks.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 12-11-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Superintendent

I certainly wouldn’t want to eat a cake that someone had been forced against their will, for whatever reason, to make for me

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"