Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting the murder sites

Hi,
    Again no doubt people have talked about this countless times, ive searched and learned a lot especially about kellys murder site but im just interested in finding out the exact locations or near enough for all the sites.
    I visited Whitechapel 2 years ago with my other half equipped with a ripper pocket book about the sites, the reason I want to get the locations right is because I now feel like an idiot lol, There was me and my girlfriend taking pictures of the car park where this book said millers court was and where kelly was living...I now know it was directly behind me lol,
    there are loads of guides etc but I want to do it on my own but dont know which source is the most accurate,
    Hopefully someone can help me

thanks for any help you may give

lol anyone?
    Just a quick link would do

Comment

Buy "The London of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Hutchinson and someone whose name nobody can remember. The murder sites are described and the locations given to within a few feet on the majority of sites.

Rob

Comment

Jack,

The book "The London of Jack the Ripper" by what's their faces () is nice to have on hand when you're reading about the murders. It's a good pictorial reference and accompaniment to any book on the murders and the discussion of the murders is very straight forward.
        Best wishes,

Cel
        Last edited by Celesta; 02-10-2009, 03:03 AM.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I would go further than... erm... wotsit above and say that the murder spots are generally pinpointed within inches rather than feet.

You had the Louis London Walks booklet, no doubt, like everyone else understandably buys. It's pretty inaccurate, but no more inaccurate than the majority of tour guides' information.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Thanks Rob and Philip for finally correcting the errors so many have heard. I havent got it yet....but Ive heard nothing but high praise here and elsewhere....Im looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately Ive been bogged down with really dry employment related reading lately....and I still have 2 great books on the Canadian contingent in WW1 in a holding pattern on my nighttable.

Cheers Chaps.

Comment

thanks for the info...I will get that book

Comment

Hi. I was in London last Sept/Oct and I really wanted to visit the Ripper sites. One of the bus tours that operate around London had a free tour guide visit included in the ticket price. You waited outside The Tower of London and off we went. I don't mean to sound boastful but I think I knew more about Jack than the guy running the tour did. Anyway, it gave me my bearings, my nearest Tube stations and I went back a further 3 times. I actually stood in Mitre Sq the anniversary of the night of the double murder. Probably I do need to get a life but...It was an interesting experience.

You don't necessarily need a guide. I also tried the Walking Guide tour. She was OK but again I think I knew more than she did. Mind you, their guide on Oscar Wilde's haunts was terrific.

I know what you mean about Dorset St. But the Providence Row building is still there and there are still places that can evoke Jack. I guess it was
                enough for me that I walked where Jack probably walked and I know I stood in Mitre Sq where Jack stood. So.
                http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Hi, NTS.

You're right - most of the people who use this site do not need to use a guide. We're mostly for the casual tourist who knows nothing about the case. A lot of Casebookers DO do a tour, however, just as a box to tick. Especially for US members, I guess it can be odd to tell people you had been to London as a Ripper historian and had not done a Ripper tour. That said, there can also be a perverse pride in announcing that you hadn't.

And yes, most guides in my opinion are pants.

Michael - thanks for the kind words.

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

The JTR Encyclopaedia by J. Eddlestone is an excellent reference book that has a step-by-step "Do your own Ripper tour" in it.

Phillip or Robert could probably tell you if it is too dated (my Ed. 2002) but I would highly recommend the book as a handy reference on your journey. (if needed)

Comment

Hello I-Am-Jack,

Small world- I just went over this minutes ago on the "Going to London" thread, about how I did a solo Ripper tour this past September that visited all the murder sites as well as two cemeteries, which took something over nine hours. Rather than be repetitive, I'll direct you to the much longer post that I wrote right after I got home from that trip. I think it should be of great help to you. Entitled "Crossing the Pond," it can be found at:

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Phil Hutchinson's (and that other guy's) book was an absolutely indispensible aid that day, as was the street map found in "Uncovering Jack the Ripper's London" by Richard Jones & Sean East. Hope this helps you!

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                        Hi, NTS.

You're right - most of the people who use this site do not need to use a guide. We're mostly for the casual tourist who knows nothing about the case. A lot of Casebookers DO do a tour, however, just as a box to tick. Especially for US members, I guess it can be odd to tell people you had been to London as a Ripper historian and had not done a Ripper tour. That said, there can also be a perverse pride in announcing that you hadn't.

And yes, most guides in my opinion are pants.

Michael - thanks for the kind words.

PHILIP
                        Thanks for that. Did I follow the ones who really don't know what they're talking about? I got my bearings and went back on my own many times.

Aren't these guides supposed to know what they're talking about?

I don't mean to sound rude but I paid for this.
                        http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nothing to see View Post
                          Thanks for that. Did I follow the ones who really don't know what they're talking about? I got my bearings and went back on my own many times.

Aren't these guides supposed to know what they're talking about?

I don't mean to sound rude but I paid for this.
                          All too often the guides {and guidebooks} are there not for the even half-serious historian. They're produced {probably on the cheap} to provide thrills and spills rather than historical accuracy. Rather like TV documentaries, newspaper articles and the Sealed Knot. Little basis in fact, but lots of whizbang. I exclude, of course, our own dear and much respected resident guides from this, and Phil's own assesment of them isn't at all glowing. But my own experience of JTR walking guides is not, on the whole, good. It's a bit of a ballache, I know, to be told that you've probably not been terribly well informed. But at least you can go back and do the whole thing again, with a trip to Sweet & Spicy halfway through and a couple in the Pride Of Spitalfields afterwards!
                          "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

Originally posted by The English Gardener View Post
                            They're produced {probably on the cheap} to provide thrills and spills rather than historical accuracy. Rather like TV documentaries, newspaper articles and the Sealed Knot. Little basis in fact, but lots of whizbang.

So True........
                            Steve(who belongs to a rival re-enactment group)............

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                              So True........
                              Steve(who belongs to a rival re-enactment group)............
                              Ah, a re enactor and ripperologist. Guess you have me beaten 2 anoraks to 1!
                              Only joking........
                              "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

Working...
                              X