Going to London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to London

Hi there. I've lurked on this site for quite a long time and never bothered registering because I was always too busy reading what everyone else had to say. I've always been enormously interested in JTR and always wanted to go to London. Well... When I got engaged a year and a half ago, my fiancee and I decided to choose London as our honeymoon destination. A London honeymoon usually surprises people as most are accustomed to a couple going to an island or something. We'll be flying to London June 21st 2009, and we'll be there until the 29th. Anyways, I don't mean to ramble...

Among the numerous things to do/see in London, at the top of the list is Jack the Ripper (Tied with the Beatles of course. We're so excited about London, especially me because this will be the first on a plane. I'm not sure what forum to put this in so, if its the wrong forum, I apologize. I wanted to know the best Ripper tour we could do. We'll be staying at the Flemings Mayfair on Half Moon Street I believe its called so, according to the map and book we have, the JTR sites aren't that far from us. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
    "The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him."

I suggest you follow the link on the left titled Ripper Podcast and listen to the latest podcast episode about Richard Jones' Discovery Tours - In the Footsteps of the Ripper. On this program you will find out about that company's Ripper Walk. Philip Hutchinson and John Bennett, two of the guides, appear on the show and are frequent message board participants.

You basically have 2 companies to choose from, London Walks and Discovery Tours. and it finding the right one depends on how large a group you want to be with, if you are able to schedule your booking in advance rather than just show up, and if you wish to see the most possible sites in the right locations.

JM

Comment

Here's the website for Discovery Tours. It should give you all the information you need.

Have a good time.

Bulldog

Comment

Thank you, very much appreciated!

Comment

PM George Hutchinson (aka Philip) He'll look after you
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

You've certainly picked a hotel in a nice part of town. Half Moon Street was the literary home of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. But I don't know if I'd say that the JtR sites aren't far from there, though. It's a fair schlep from Mayfair to the East End. You will probably want to take the tube.

Comment

Make sure you take some time in the East End to have fun in the pubs!! They are great! Ten Bells is small but fun and the Princess Alice is also a good one!!
              In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Thanks for the advice on places to go, we will definitely check them out. As for the distance... Checking it again, your right, I am completely off! It certainly isn't walking distance..

Comment

I second the recommendation of Phil Hutchinson's Jack the Ripper Tour.

The best way to see London is on foot. For non-Ripper tours I highly recommend a company called London Walks (www.walks.com). They have a very wide repertoire of 2-hour walks led by very knowledgeable guides. I have been on dozens of their walks and always come away with three things:

1. Seeing London sites that can only be seen on foot.
                  2. A wealth of historical information.
                  3. Two hours' worth of entertainment.

The cost is Ģ7 but you can buy a "walkabout card" for an additional Ģ2 which entitles you to subsequent walks at the rate of Ģ5 each. So the card pays for itself on your second walk. They do have a Ripper Walk but it is not necessarily the one I would recommend.

London is a wonderful city that has just about everything you could want to do. Summer, unfortunately, is rather crowded and rather hot (not much is air conditioned), which is one reason I normally choose to go in March.

This is also a great website: http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk

I am perhaps the consummate London tourist, making my 11th trip in March, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask them here.
                  Last edited by aspallek; 02-10-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much! I'll look into that as well!

Comment

In case nobody else has noticed ...MAJEWSKI IS GETTING MARRIED!

Congratulations, Majewski - and very welcome to the boards! And though Mayfair-Whitechapel is a fair distance, make use of your feet as much as possible in London. Itīs by far the best way to do the town, and since itīs practically littered with pubs (and, nowadays, coffeehouses) you can always pop in somewhere to have a drink and a rest.

If, by the way, someone should find it slightly weird that you - on your honeymoon - are taking your wife to see places where women had their throats cut and their abdomens partially emptied, remember weīre all firmly behind you here at Casebook!

All the best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

Hi Majewski,

I just had to chime in here. I'm an American and have been to London twice. The first time in '04 I went on Ripper author Donald Rumbelow's tour which I believe was with London Walks (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and this past Sept. I went on Philip Hutchinson's. Both were great, but Don's was a bit more scholarly while Phil's was filled with rolicking dark humor and visited more sites. If you can only do one I'd reccomend Phil, but since it is not expensive, is something done after hours when other touristy things are closed and since you're in London for over a week, why not do them both?

There is also the unguided approach, which I also did this most recent time, by myself. I took a whole day to visit all the C5 murder sites as well as some of the disputed ones, and also two of the cemeteries. I started at 7 a.m. and finished up sometime after 4 p.m. Fair warning- if you do this you must have good shoes that are properly broken in and will still hurt in places you didn't know you had. You will also find yourself well off the beaten path on some obscure train lines to get to the cemeteries, in places that don't feel like London anymore (directions are here on Casebook). However, it's all very worth it and an experience you'll never forget. An excellent street map of the streets as they are now can be found in the book "Uncovering Jack the Ripper's London" by Richard Jones & Sean East. Note- if you start with Polly Nichols, depart the Whitechapel tube station across from the Royal London Hospital, go east on Whitechapel Road, and watch intently on your left for Brady Street, which leads north to Durward Street where the murder site is. You will come to Brady just very shortly after leaving the tube but it's barely marked if at all, and I went way too far past it on Whitechapel Road and got lost right away.

I guess that was way too much information but I hope it helps. Don't be surprised if locals you talk to are short on info or even seem clueless about the Ripper, but otherwise I'm sure you and your lady will have a grand time.

Comment

Thanks and thanks again!

Comment

Don Rumbelow does indeed (or did) guide for London Walks' ripper walk. However, there is also another gentleman who guides the very same tour for London Walks (Sean, I believe). I have taken the walk both with Don and the other gentleman and the other gentleman made a number of mistakes in his narrative. Don's tour was extremely crowded to the point of being unenjoyable. I would say stick with Philip's. Although, do check out the other London Walks tours as they are generally excellent!

If you care to find the victims' approximate grave sights, you might want to check out my article: http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/rn_graves.html. Again, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask them here.

Comment

Working...
                            X