No announcement yet.

Favorite fictional early (before 1930) detective poll besides Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about that crime fighter Zorro - 1919?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

If there's any question, I said "besides Sherlock Holmes" (1887) because there'd likely be no contest if he was in the field.

Stan Reid

Comment

Just as a side note, since Sherlock Holmes is out of the equation, when he was a young man, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was actually quite a fan of the work of Edgar Allen Poe (along with many others), and enjoyed reading the adventures of Dupin.....we might even say that there's a bit of Dupin in the Holmes stories! So I'll vote for him.

Cheers,
        Adam

Comment

Hi Adam:

Do you know what the "C." stands for? Is it for a name or some sort of title?

Stan Reid

Comment

Hey Stan,

That's a good question actually. I'm not certain about this but I've read that he had the title of "Chevalier", which means "knight". So I would guess that the C might stand for that....

Anybody else know whether this is correct?

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

The trouble with Father Brown is, too many of the stories depend upon someone being in some sort of disguise.

There was a series shown in the UK c1970 called The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, but the only one I can remember is Dorrington.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                There was a series shown in the UK c1970 called The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, but the only one I can remember is Dorrington.
                Thanks Robert. I'd never heard if that guy but I see he's from 1897.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  There's a full list here:

Comment

I've only heard of a couple of those.

Stan Reid

Comment

I can't recall the exact years the "Professor S.F.X. Van Dusen" stories were set, but the author, Jacques Futrelle, was on the Titanic when it sank.

Vila
                      "Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible - However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..." - Brice Linch: Max Headroom
                      Dan L Hollifield
                      Senior Editor/Publisher: Aphelion Webzine
                      http://www.aphelion-webzine.com

Comment

That would definitely qualify Vila.

Stan Reid

Comment

I love Tuppence!!!

Hi Stan,

There was always Sexton Blake, a.k.a. "the poor man's Sherlock Holmes". But my vote has to be for that pair of devilishly charming blackmailers turned detectives, Tommy and Tuppence. I used to love the TV adaptation "Partners in Crime". I simply couldn't take my eyes off Francesca Annis's Tuppence!!!

I also venture that an honourable mention be made for one A.J. Raffles, Esq. and his live-in, err... "chum", Harry "Bunny" Manders. While certainly not detectives and indeed spending most of their time on the wrong side of the law, they were poachers who were quite prepared to turn occasional gamekeepers for a good cause. By day they led a gay life as ostensible men-about-town. While at night, they donned masks and got up to all sorts of queer business under the cover of darkness!
                          A "Gentleman Thief", Raffles always preferred to refer to himself as an "Amateur Cracksman". Hmm, now that would look good on my Passport! LOL.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                          And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                          With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                          And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

When I get the vote it will be for Richard Hannay.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac View Post
                              I simply couldn't take my eyes off Francesca Annis's Tuppence!!!
                              Likewise old fellow.

Stan Reid

Comment

Railway enthusiasts might be interested in the stories of V.L. Whitechurch.

Comment

Working...
                                X