Ripperologists' Heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologists' Heaven

So, after the wonderful York conference, my wife and I came to London. Today we did our own tour of the East End and then met Liza Hopkinson in Brick Lane for an excellent meal. Then Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson took us on another tour that included places we would never have found on our own. Then we went to a meeting of the Whitechapel Society that had a very interesting talk by Sue Parry and I got to meet Stewart Evans. Then we went to the White Hart and Mark Ripper convinced the landlord to let us see the basement where George Chapman worked as a barber and I got to meet Caz and Chris Jones. I don't think that a day could get any better than this one.

excursion

Hello Ken. Delighted that your excursion worked out so well.

Did you, per chance, make a trek to Mitre Square?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
      So, after the wonderful York conference, my wife and I came to London. Today we did our own tour of the East End and then met Liza Hopkinson in Brick Lane for an excellent meal.
      At the Monsoon, I hope !
      Managing Editor
      Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice
        So, after the wonderful York conference, my wife and I came to London. Today we did our own tour of the East End and then met Liza Hopkinson in Brick Lane for an excellent meal. Then Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson took us on another tour that included places we would never have found on our own. Then we went to a meeting of the Whitechapel Society that had a very interesting talk by Sue Parry and I got to meet Stewart Evans. Then we went to the White Hart and Mark Ripper convinced the landlord to let us see the basement where George Chapman worked as a barber and I got to meet Caz and Chris Jones. I don't think that a day could get any better than this one.
        This all happened in one day? You must be exhausted!!! Sounds like an amazing day, though. Please tell me you plan to visit your namesake pub!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It's kind of fun to think of Ripperologists having their own little place to hang out at in heaven.

Comment

What was Caz wearing?

Comment

It was a pleasure to eat with you Saturday Ken, apologies for not being able to stay around.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Lynn: Yep, we made it to Mitre Square but they've begun the construction work and it's not as photogenic as it was the last time we were there.

Robert: It was indeed the Monsoon. Liza talked the staff into giving us a huge meal for a pittance.

Tom: I'm afraid that my namesake closed last year and became a betting shop. We did walk over to have a look at it, though. At least the name is still on the building. And, yes, all of that happened in one amazing day. (We're having a lie-in this morning.)

Scott: I believe Caz was wearing dark pants and a nice sweater. Anyway, she looked wonderful.

Neil: It was a pleasure meeting you face to face too. With luck, maybe we'll get to chat a little more next year.

Now, back to bed for just a little more kip.

Comment

What a bummer though, I dont think I had one proper conversation with you the entire conference (probably due to the massive amounts of alcohol I consumed). Feel like I missed out!

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Yes, Ally, you're right: we had a short chat when you dropped by our table when we were having lunch with Rob House; but we haven't had a proper chat since Baltimore in '06. We'll have to try harder next year.

Comment

Hi Ken

Glad to hear that your visit to London went so well.

Best regards

Chris
                      Christopher T. George
                      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thanks, Chris. We're just off to spend the day at the BM. Geez, I love this town.

Comment

I am coming down to London on the 20th for 5 days.....determined to do some whitechapel walking ! any tips for good places to seek out ?....aside from the murder sites themselves of course !!....if anyone wants to give me a guided tour then just put your hand in the air !

Comment

Working...
                          X