Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I retired when I was 47 Will be 67 this year
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      I retired when I was 47 Will be 67 this year
      I retired in October at 58 1/2. It was about time too.

Jeff

Comment

• Congratulations Jeff!!

Stan Reid

Comment

• Retirement

Having done a couple of years as a civil servant, (not to mention labouring on the roofs plus the time spent working for a local charity), then thirty seven years continuous solid work for the same transport outfit seems to me pretty reasonable...the fact I've still got to do another six years to get a pension, somehow doesn't seem so reasonable...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
            Having done a couple of years as a civil servant, (not to mention labouring on the roofs plus the time spent working for a local charity), then thirty seven years continuous solid work for the same transport outfit seems to me pretty reasonable...the fact I've still got to do another six years to get a pension, somehow doesn't seem so reasonable...

All the best

Dave
            Hi Dave,

I agree - it isn't reasonable. I had to put in over 30 years to get my full pension.

Thanks Stan for your support.

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 January 27 - The Perth serial killer, Eric Edgar Cooke shoots five, killing three. He murdered a total of eight over his career and was hanged by an Australian executioner in 1964.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 January 27 - Edward Hopwood is hanged in England for the murder of his actress girlfriend Florence Dudley in the back of a taxi. The killer shot Florence, whose real last name was Silles, when she ended their relationship after discovering that Hopwood was married. After killing Florence, he turned the gun on himself but survived. He made the claim that he'd only intended to kill himself and that the shooting of Florence was an accident but the jury rejected the story.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Actually, that last date should have been 1913 January 29. Sorry about that.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 January 30 - John Williams aka George Mackay is hanged in England for the murder of Inspector Arthur Walls. The lawman was shot when he interrupted the criminal in the act of committing a burglary.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Derek Bentley

It's not a centenary, but it is 60 years ago today that Derek Bentley was hanged for the murder of P.c. Sidney Miles.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1913 February 22 - The former Mexican President and Vice President, Francisco Madero and Jose Pino Suarez are assassinated in a shooting. They had been compelled to resign days earlier as the result of a coup d'etat that led to the installation of General Victoriano Huerta as the new President. The belief is that the killings were on orders from Huerta.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1913 February 22 - The former Mexican President and Vice President, Francisco Madero and Jose Pino Suarez are assassinated in a shooting. They had been compelled to resign days earlier as the result of a coup d'etat that led to the installation of General Victoriano Huerta as the new President. The belief is that the killings were on orders from Huerta.
                          And the assassinations were another cause for intense anti-American feelings in Mexico. The idiot U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Henry Wilson, apparently knew and approved of he overthrow and murders of Madera and Pino (possibly assisted in the background of them). President Woodrow Wilson (not related to the Ambassador) removed him after all this came out, but the damage was done. President Wilson would not recognize Huerta's government and after staggering on for about a year or so it collapsed. Huerta fled to the U.S., and died in 1917 in Texas. President Wilson's efforts to undue the damage were doomed. In 1914 a misunderstanding about respecting our flag in Vera Cruz harbor led to an assault and seizure of the customs house there, with many casualties on both sides. In 1916 Pancho Villa would invade the U.S. and shoot up Columbus, New Mexico, killing a dozen U.S. citizens. Wilson would send the army under General John J. Pershiing into Mexico to capture or kill Villa. After nearly a year we failed to catch him (and Villa's popuarity in Mexico soared). Then in 1917 the Germans, who'd been watching all this, sent the Zimmermann Telegram to Mexico's President Carranza, suggesting a military alliance against the U.S. with the intention of reclaiming the southwest states for Mexico. The British intercepted the telegram and sent it to Washington. When it was made known many formerly anti-war western Americans changed their mind. The Telegram and the resumption of submarine warfare led to our declaration of war against Germany in April 1917, and our entrance into World War I.

Jeff

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1963 February 28 - In the evening, Chicago Alderman Benjamin Lewis, aka "The Big Cat", is murdered with three gunshots to the back of his head. Mr. Lewis was found on the floor of his office in the morning, still shackled with the handcuffs that had been his restraints. There were several theories regarding the murder although robbery was not the motive and the crime remains unsolved. The victim had just won reelection earlier in the week.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1963 February 28 - In the evening, Chicago Alderman Benjamin Lewis, aka "The Big Cat", is murdered with three gunshots to the back of his head. Mr. Lewis was found on the floor of his office in the morning, still shackled with the handcuffs that had been his restraints. There were several theories regarding the murder although robbery was not the motive and the crime remains unsolved. The victim had just won reelection earlier in the week.
                              Hi Stan,

Although he just won reelection, did Lewis have any reputation for being corrupt?

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff:

I think there were some questions about possible corruption. He was also married and had several mistresses.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X