Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graffiti

Hello,

My first post here so I hope I put it in the right place. I'm a beginner in ripperology, so excuse me if the question seems stupid. I have also to state that I'm french, and that I could make language mistakes.

So, the question is : do we know any graffito, apart from the Goulston Street one, which were allegedly made by the Ripper, or even signed "Jack the Ripper" ?

I've just read in the book "Leather Apron" (1888) : "The discovery of a piece of chalk-writing on the shutter of a house in Hanbury Street, next door to where the horrible assassination of the Chapman woman had taken place, greatly inflamated the public mind (...) (he) stated that he had now killed four and that he would give himself up to the police when he had killed sixteen." ( page 9 )

Does this graffito actually existed ? Is there any mention on newspapers or police reports ? Or is it a false information given by the writer, who mixed up with Ripper's letters ?

I've read in one dissertation on Goulston Street that they were several graffiti, thought to be hoaxes by police, related to the murders. Do we have any record ?

Answers welcomed
    E.J.H.

Hi EJ. The Hanbury Street graffiti did not exist, or at least not on the day of the murder. The first graffiti to appear in the case was after the murder of Polly Nichols when somebody wrote 'the murderers are here' outside the door of the butchers who were inquest witnesses in the case. On the day of Mary Kelly's funeral a graffiti was found on the home of Albert Bachert signed 'Jack the Ripper', but Bachert most likely put it there himself. I personally believe the Goulston Street graffiti was written by the Ripper, as did most of the contemporary investigators, but nowadays it's for the most part fallen victim to historical revision and is considered to have been just coincidence...like the murder of two women in the same neighborhood, in the same hour, by the same method, is considered coincidence.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I don't have my notes handy at the moment, but I remember reading comments, from a police officer of the time, that graffiti associated with the Whitechapel Killer was quite common.
      protohistorian-Where would we be without Stewart Evans or Paul Begg,Kieth Skinner, Martin Fido,or Donald Rumbelow?

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course

Comment

Originally posted by Sox View Post
        graffiti associated with the Whitechapel Killer was quite common.
        Yes, but what distinguishes the GSG with those, is that the link is provided by the piece of apron, without which it would have been a mere antisemitic graffito.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Thank you for your answers ! I will try to investigate more on the subject.
          I think the GSG genuine too. A good red-herring made by a very cunning "Jack" ... but it's not the point here.

(Off-board, but Sox, Life on Mars rules )

Comment

Originally posted by E.J.H
            Life on Mars rules
            How is that possible when Buffy the Vampire Slayer still and will always rule?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I don't like vampires.

Comment

How is that possible when Buffy the Vampire Slayer still and will always rule?

Gene Hunt would have her in tears in no time - or in the kitchen making his tea and ironing his socks!!

tj
                It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by E.J.H
                  I don't like vampires.
                  Neither does Buffy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    I personally believe the Goulston Street graffiti was written by the Ripper, as did most of the contemporary investigators, but nowadays it's for the most part fallen victim to historical revision and is considered to have been just coincidence...
                    Hello Tom,

I am certainly in agreement with you here...whether it be JTR or "A Killer"... that was written, IMHO by a murderer.

It was his intension to cause a stir.

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Case Closed !!!!

The police were so concerned about the "juwes" graffito that they failed to notice the other message on the wall left of the door jamb. Oh my! if they had just beeen a little more observant, the never ending question would have been answered then and there.
                      Attached Files
                      " ON A HOT SUMMERS NITE, WOULD YOU OFFER YOUR THROAT TO WITH THE RED ROSES ?"

Comment

Working...
                      X