Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someday, men will say....

Hi

Do any of you know were the: "Someday, men will say that I gave birth to the 20th century" is from ?

I seen it a couple of time ( on the internet and in the beginning of "From Hell" )
    But is it fiction, or from a "Ripper" letter ?

Best

Mr. Volfing.

Hi Mr. Volfing,

I believe it was Sir William Gull, as played by Ian Holm in "From Hell".

Fiction, I'm afraid, but still a good quote.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

It is spoken by Gull to Netley in a scene were Netley has reservations about continuing the "work" they are doing!

The quote first featured in the Graphic Novel "From Hell" which was written by Alan Moore and designed by Eddie Cambell.

The Hughes Brothers decided to use this line to open the Movie with!!

The actual scene was cut from the Theatrical release but can be seen on the double disk edition, and is reffered to in the commentary.

And thats Hollywood baby!!

Welcome to the boards
      Regards Mike

Comment

In the movie "From Hell" Dr. Gull says to Detective Abberline this line:
        "Some day men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century."

In the graphic novel "From Hell" Dr. Gull says to his coach driver, Netley, this line:
        "For better or worse, the twentieth century, I have delivered it."

For my money that's quite a difference, but it's close enough for fickle Hollywood.

Had I written the line it would have read:
        "The twentieth century, for better or worse, I have delivered it."
        But that's just me, and what do I know? ;-)
        "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Since that is about it for the thread, here is one. From where did Tarantino get:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who shepherds the weak through the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the [Hint goes here.--Ed.], when I lay my vengeance upon you!
          --J. "Not Ezek 25:17" D.

Comment

Well, of course, part of it is, loosely, from Ezekiel. But I'd always heard it was from one of those Kung Fu movies Tarantino loves.

Comment

Close.

It comes from the Sonny Chiba film The Bodyguard. It opens with him saying, in English, that very passage--identifying it as "Ezekiel 25:17" which it is not. It ends with "And you will know I am the Bodyguard when I lay my vengeance upon you!"

Otherwise an unwatchable chopsoki film.

Yours truly,

--J. "But You've Caught Me in a Transitional Period" D.

Comment

Thanks

Hi.

Thanks a lot for all of the answers -
                I am looking forward to talk more to all of you.

Best.

Mr. Volfing.

Comment

Working...
                X