Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Ripper movie is the best?!

Hello you all!

Since there is a thread about an ultimate line-up, I thought, that why don't we vote for the best Ripper movie so far!

All the best
    Jukka
    From Hell!
    8.70%
    Jack the Ripper (tv-movie 1988)
    56.52%
    Some other, what?1
    34.78%
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

I said another because it depends on the criteria with me.

Best cinematography From Hell 2001

Most accurate Jack the Ripper 1988

Most atmospheric Pandora's Box 1928

Most watchable The Lodger 1944

None are great in my view but I haven't seen every one. I have seen those four however plus several I wish I hadn't.
    Last edited by sdreid; 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Haven't seen the 1988 Jack the Ripper yet, so I'll have to hold off my opinion for now.

I think it's on youtube.
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

In movie terms, From Hell has to be the best even though it goes with the wretched Royal Conspiracy Theory. Even my wife likes that one but then again she likes any film with Johnny Depp in it because she's madly in love with him.

Man in the Attic was OK though.

Here's the trailer for that

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          In movie terms, From Hell has to be the best even though it goes with the wretched Royal Conspiracy Theory. Even my wife likes that one but then again she likes any film with Johnny Depp in it because she's madly in love with him.
          Yeah, I liked how they characterized the victims. Yes, the movie was historically inaccurate in that regard, but at least it didn't treat them like slabs of meat like I've seen other films do.

The movie would've been much, much better if they had avoided the same old garbage.
          "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

I enjoy both From Hell and Jack The Ripper (1988) for different reasons.

Although I think both aren't quite accurate in their telling of the facts, they are both good to watch in their own right. From Hell is a bit more atmospheric and you see more of the iconic Ripper in that movie (top hat, cloak, knife, etc.)

I think I like the Michael Caine miniseries better though. It's longer, slightly more true to the case, and let's face it, Michael does a brillant job as Abberline. A true Golden Globe winner (which he did in fact win, although he was tied with another actor that same year).
            I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Hello Stan!

Thank you for presenting the variations!

Though I am a friend of the silent movies, I had completely forgotten the Pandora's box...

It would be interesting to see Hitchcock's "The Lodger" from 1926!

All the best
              Jukka
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

How about the Ripper treatments in "Fantasy Island" (Ripper is run over by a horse and coach at the end) or "Star Trek" (Ripper in outer space!)? Or Carl Kolchak on the trail of an immortal Ripper on "The Night Stalker"?

No, seriously- totally kidding. "Jack the Ripper" in 1988 with Michael Caine gets my vote for the best rendition so far. But the very best would be a film that is willing to end without a satisfying conclusion, and I wish someone would be willing to produce it.

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
                  It would be interesting to see Hitchcock's "The Lodger" from 1926!
                  Hi Jukka,

Yes, the first The Lodger is good as is, despite what I'd heard, the first sound remake.
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

What no Murder by Decree? By far, the best atmospheric....granted it's the "royal conspiracy" theory, but great camera angles, scary lighting, and great acting...C'mon not only James Mason, but Christopher Plummer, Donald Sutherland, Anthony Qualye and Sir John Guilguld? Not to mention Bob Clark...did you know that he's the guy who directed A Christmas Story and Porky's?

Comment

I have just started a PHD on screen depictions of the Ripper so very interested to see the voting on the best film. How about tv versions? Sanctuary for example? or Whitechapel?

Also the new film The Wolfman features Frederick Abberline as a character. In addition to a wonderfully chewing the scenery perfomance by Anthony Hopkins!

Comment

Gman,

Agreed, "Decree" has a cast that is difficult to match, and the quality of the acting was excellent. AQ was most impressive in this film I thought.

Caine's dialect in that mini series was spot on though, not surprising when ine learns of his background irl. The coachman Netley's part was well played too.

Granted both are based on the Joseph Sickert/Gorman story, but that stuff sells.

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

Murder By Degree had a great cast and was very atmospheric but I thought the last part bogged down as it got into the Royal Conspiracy bit. Might have worked better without bringing Sherlock Holmes into an already complicated plot. Just for me that is. As far Sherlock versus JtR, I prefer A Study in Terror. I know it's not accurate but just like it.

Have seen Pandora's Box and Hitchcock's The Lodger and like 'em both. Also the 1933 remake of the latter and again starring Ivor Novello (U.S. title: The Phantom Fiend). Prefer the '44 Lodger with Laird Cregar and the near-identical '53 Man in the Attic with Jack Palance just because they're more overtly Ripper and contemporary. It's pure fantasy but I also like Time After Time.

Worst one's gotta be the Klaus Kinski movie.

Comment

My top 3 favorites are:

1. Jack The Ripper (1988)

2. From Hell

3. Time After Time
                            I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Borrowed "A Study in Terror" from the library a couple of days ago for the first time, and I'm always amazed how the victims are portrayed as "buxom babes" who looked as if they all appeared on the cover of Maxim magazine...especially the girl who portrayed Annie Chapman. The same goes with the ladies in From Hell. C'mon, they are not even in the same age bracket!

Comment

Working...
                              X