New Independent Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Independent Review

Issue one of the New Independent Review is now out and features a "Pair of Jacks: the Saga of Melville Mcnaghten" by Jonathan Hainsworth; "Bachert of Berner Street" by Tom Wescott and a pair of short essays by David M. Gates on fixed point policing in 1888 and just how violent was Jack. There is also "According to Adam," a column by Adam Went and "Book 'em!" a column on detective fiction by Don Souden.

The issue is available free for download at http://newindependentreview.com/
    Remember that the magazine is most eaily read in "Full Screen Mode." Use Escape to return to normal.

Enjoy this latest experience in magazines.

Don Souden.
    Last edited by Supe; 09-23-2011, 11:52 PM.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

I can't believe the readership is quite so blase, so I'll try again. A new magazine with major articles is available FREE
    at http://newindependentreview.com/

Articles by Jonathan Hainsworth, Tom Wescott. Dave Gates and Adam Went -- FREE!
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Sorry Don,

I've been stuck on that 'Plausibility of Kosminski' thread. I just downloaded it and will be enjoying my weekend with a good read! Thanks Don!

Mike
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

ways of old folk

Hello Don. Not blase. Just takes old people a while to read through.

I'm already enjoying Hainsworth's article. Look forward to the rest--and, of course, subscribing to future issues.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
          Issue one of the New Independent Review is now out and features a "Pair of Jacks: the Saga of Melville Mcnaghten" by Jonathan Hainsworth; "Bachert of Berner Street" by Tom Wescott and a pair of short essays by David M. Gates on fixed point policing in 1888 and just how violent was Jack. There is also "According to Adam," a column by Adam Went and "Book 'em!" a column on detective fiction by Don Souden.

The issue is available free for download at http://newindependentreview.com/
          Remember that the magazine is most eaily read in "Full Screen Mode." Use Escape to return to normal.

Enjoy this latest experience in magazines.

Don Souden.
          There are some folks on here who will never be able to return to normal.

c.d.

Comment

c.d.

That supposes that at one time they were normal . . . which in some cases is dubious at best.

Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
              c.d.

That supposes that at one time they were normal . . . which in some cases is dubious at best.

Don.
              Amen.

c.d.

Comment

Congratulations Don, and thanks for all your hard work on the Review.

I particularly enjoyed Tom's article on Albert Bachert. I've long thought him an intriguing character (umm- Bachert, not Tom ) and it's very difficult to know what to make of him.

Best regards,
                Archaic
                Last edited by Archaic; 10-02-2011, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Hi Archaic, thank you for that. What sparked the article was my observation that Bachert, like Le Grand, first appeared on the Ripper scene immediately after the double event, and also like Le Grand, promoted a suspect that seemed completely fictitious. While pondering Bachert's place in the Ripper mystery, I realized that he described a man very much like Fanny Mortimer's (who subsequently turned out to be Leon Goldstein), who carried a black bag. I knew that the chatty Mortimer was talking up what she saw on the pavement of Berner Street, and I wondered if maybe Bachert didn't hear it there. I already knew that he had a beef with the Berner Street boys, so I built the article around that. Even though I don't personally think Bachert killed anybody, I think if that article had been published in the mid-90's, when Ripperology was not jaded at all, he would have grown into a full-blown suspect by now.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Bunny,

I've long thought him an intriguing character (umm- Bachert, not Tom )

Tom is quite intriguing himself. Indeed, there is much mystery attached to him (a picture of Tom ranks just behind those of MJK in life and Aberline among Ripperologists) and that coupled with his seeming endless cranking out of articles has created a rumor that "Tom Wescott" is actually a consortium of three men, a woman and a wonder horse operating out of an abandoned Air Force base in Oklahoma.

Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      ....While pondering Bachert's place in the Ripper mystery, I realized that he described a man very much like Fanny Mortimer's (who subsequently turned out to be Leon Goldstein), who carried a black bag.
                      Congratulations Tom, very interesting article. I did wonder what the basis was for the claim that the man Bachert saw was, "..the spitting image of Leon Goldstein", how do you establish that?
                      Then, this claim appears to be the basis for your subsequent suggestion that Bachert's story was concocted?
                      Though it has also struck me the over supply of men in morning-coats hovering around Stride moments before her death.

That was the only part I saw as suspicious, otherwise a nicely written article.

Regards, Jon S.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Archaic, thank you for that. What sparked the article was my observation that Bachert, like Le Grand, first appeared on the Ripper scene immediately after the double event, and also like Le Grand, promoted a suspect that seemed completely fictitious. While pondering Bachert's place in the Ripper mystery, I realized that he described a man very much like Fanny Mortimer's (who subsequently turned out to be Leon Goldstein), who carried a black bag. I knew that the chatty Mortimer was talking up what she saw on the pavement of Berner Street, and I wondered if maybe Bachert didn't hear it there. I already knew that he had a beef with the Berner Street boys, so I built the article around that. Even though I don't personally think Bachert killed anybody, I think if that article had been published in the mid-90's, when Ripperology was not jaded at all, he would have grown into a full-blown suspect by now.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                        Tom,

I always enjoy reading your articles. Keep on being prolific.

Mike
                        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hi Mike, thanks for that. You know I like your stuff, and I hear there's more coming soon? As for me being prolific, I haven't written an article since early 2010, I just wrote a bunch at once and they've been getting published ever since. Bachert in Berner Street was the last, unless Don breaks down and agrees to pay me more than that Hainsworth guy is getting.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

unless Don breaks down and agrees to pay me more than that Hainsworth guy is getting.
                            To quote AP Wolf, “it's all about the Yankee $$“ (compared to the Aussie $), though nowadays with the crisis people have started saving up confederate money, which at least has historical value. :-)
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

kudos

Hello Jonathan and Tom. I finished your articles and I can see you are up to your old tricks--researching and connecting the dots.

Kudos, lads.

Now, let's see what David is up to.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X