Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Sam,

Was that one originally titled "The Man From the Pru"?
    That's the one, Simon. A really scary film.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

This thread made me go back and watch the Exorcist again (I do own the special edition DVD.. so not like I had to go far) and it made me realize how much I really love this film, everything about it is damn near perfect....the acting is beyond top notch, the lighting and cinematography are second to none, the story/script are fantastic (in both senses of the word) but the pace is what may be the best thing about the film... very slow (today's audience would NEVER stand for a film that is so slow in developing), plus the fact that it is obvious that it was NOT made to be a horror film!!! And it really isn't one, despite being called the scariest film ever made, and I do find it quite disturbing (not "scary").. but not for the same reason most do....as a non-Christian "demonic possession" never scared me, but...the mental anguish of Father Karras and his pain, and guilt (over not only not being able to care for his mother, but for the losing of his own faith) are truly disturbing to watch... a great character study, and made the ending truly gratifying (and most people never get the ending....they think the devil wins and kills Karrass...that's not how I see it at all.... Karrass wins, and restores his faith and caring in the process.. in my humble opinion anyway)..of course the Exorcist 3 kind of ruins that take for me.. but it was a fun little horror film on it's own (yes, Exorcist 3 was just a horror film...and Exorcist 2... well best not to mention that one... or those damn "prequels")
      Anyway... I'll stop boring you all now, just wanted to share that...and for those of you that haven't seen it in years, or ever, I suggest you give it a view.. it really is a masterpiece of cinema!!

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I sometimes walk by the house which now has a fairly high fence in front of it but the famous steps are still there.

c.d.
        And the film is geographically correct about the location, too. That staircase was indeed only a few feet from the house, so that a person could actually fall from a window down to it, just as depicted in the film. But I believe the house has since been renovated, and a large portion closest to the staircase has been removed.
        Last edited by YomRippur; 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
          This thread made me go back and watch the Exorcist again (I do own the special edition DVD.. so not like I had to go far) and it made me realize how much I really love this film, everything about it is damn near perfect....the acting is beyond top notch, the lighting and cinematography are second to none, the story/script are fantastic (in both senses of the word) but the pace is what may be the best thing about the film... very slow (today's audience would NEVER stand for a film that is so slow in developing), plus the fact that it is obvious that it was NOT made to be a horror film!!! And it really isn't one, despite being called the scariest film ever made, and I do find it quite disturbing (not "scary").. but not for the same reason most do....as a non-Christian "demonic possession" never scared me, but...the mental anguish of Father Karras and his pain, and guilt (over not only not being able to care for his mother, but for the losing of his own faith) are truly disturbing to watch... a great character study, and made the ending truly gratifying (and most people never get the ending....they think the devil wins and kills Karrass...that's not how I see it at all.... Karrass wins, and restores his faith and caring in the process.. in my humble opinion anyway)..of course the Exorcist 3 kind of ruins that take for me.. but it was a fun little horror film on it's own (yes, Exorcist 3 was just a horror film...and Exorcist 2... well best not to mention that one... or those damn "prequels")
          Anyway... I'll stop boring you all now, just wanted to share that...and for those of you that haven't seen it in years, or ever, I suggest you give it a view.. it really is a masterpiece of cinema!!

Steadmund Brand
          I love the movie as well, and have also read the original novel. While the movie is pretty clear that a genuine possession is taking place, the novel still maintains the possibility that both the girl and the Jesuit priest have mental issues. In the book, Regan's imaginary friend "Captain Howdy" implies that she may heve "daddy issues" since her father is named Howard. Also, a book about witchcraft is found under Regan's pillow (the book had been given to her mother by a party guest), suggesting that she may have read it and used that knowledge in acting out certain occultist rituals. During the supposed exorcism, while the movie is pretty clear that the devil transfers himself to the priest's body, the book still suggests the possibility the guilt-stricken priest simply suffers a mental breakdown. Also not adequately explained in the movie is that why the Jesuit priest, who has been so skeptical of the alleged possession, should have a change of heart and agree to perform an exorcism. The book explains this. Although he doesn't believe a possession has occurred, he believes the ritual of exorcism would actually serve some form of psychiatric treatment which no known scientific method can do.
          Last edited by YomRippur; 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Are you "Exorcist" fans aware that the novel was based on a real case, but of a young boy, not a girl? In both reality and fiction, it was the Ouija board that started things off...

I've seen an interesting television program about this case. From the article at the above link, under "Literature and Film":

"This exorcism case inspired the 1971 novel The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty, which in turn was adapted into the classic 1973 horror film of the same name.[11] The case also inspired the 2000 movie Possessed, which is said to be closer to the story in Allen's book.[11] A documentary was also made of the case, titled In the Grip of Evil.[12] Another documentary movie was made in 2010 named "The Haunted Boy: The Secret Diary of the Exorcist" where a group of investigators travels to the location in question and uncovers the diary that is said to be kept by William S. Bowdern.[13]"
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              Are you "Exorcist" fans aware that the novel was based on a real case, but of a young boy, not a girl? In both reality and fiction, it was the Ouija board that started things off...

I've seen an interesting television program about this case. From the article at the above link, under "Literature and Film":

"This exorcism case inspired the 1971 novel The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty, which in turn was adapted into the classic 1973 horror film of the same name.[11] The case also inspired the 2000 movie Possessed, which is said to be closer to the story in Allen's book.[11] A documentary was also made of the case, titled In the Grip of Evil.[12] Another documentary movie was made in 2010 named "The Haunted Boy: The Secret Diary of the Exorcist" where a group of investigators travels to the location in question and uncovers the diary that is said to be kept by William S. Bowdern.[13]"
              Hi PC
              I just read your link-I thought the boy lived in Georgetown DC?
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hello Abby,

My understanding is that the boy lived in Maryland. Author William Peter Blatty lived in Georgetown which is probably why he used it for the setting of the book.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
                  And the film is geographically correct about the location, too. That staircase was indeed only a few feet from the house, so that a person could actually fall from a window down to it, just as depicted in the film. But I believe the house has since been renovated, and a large portion closest to the staircase has been removed.
                  I don't know about renovations but as it stands now the house is close to the steps but not close enough so that a person could fall from the window to the steps.

The house is only the exterior that was used in the movie. The inside was shot in Hollywood.

c.d.

Comment

I saw the television program some time ago but I seem to recall that the priest who did the exorcism said that he was walking down the hallway in the hospital where the boy was when he heard a loud bang that sounded like a shotgun. He rushed back to the boy's room and found that the boy had returned to his normal self.

c.d.

Comment

This makes me want to get that movie thread back up and running again

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

I don't know about renovations but as it stands now the house is close to the steps but not close enough so that a person could fall from the window to the steps.

The house is only the exterior that was used in the movie. The inside was shot in Hollywood.

c.d.

The house was indeed modified as shown in the photos below. The area where Regan's bedroom used to be was completely removed. Instead of a few feet away from the staircase, the house is now about 50 feet away.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          Hi PC
                          I just read your link-I thought the boy lived in Georgetown DC?
                          Hi, Abby,

No, Cottage City, Maryland was "Roland Doe's" home.
                          It was reported the boy was admitted to Georgetown University Hospital, but no evidence of this being true has been found.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

I have seen the documentaries on the "actual possession" but they don't really interest me... as someone who doesn't believe in "demonic possession" , I do believe in mental illness... and sadly these documentaries never seem to talk about that angle... just go straight in for the religious mumbo jumbo...sorta like the stuff on Anneliese Michel's "exorcism" that killed her... the courts pretty much held the church and family responsible for her unfortunate death....yet still the "documentaries" wanna blame the devil....I love the fact that you never hear of an Atheist being "possessed", you would think they would be an easier target for Satan wouldn't you...put up less of a fight anyway... but no....

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Why don't they just ignore the demon instead of trying to exorcise it? I would have to imagine that it would get bored pretty quickly and depart on its own.

I wonder if demons talk among themselves. "Hey, I haven't seen Bob lately, I wonder what he is up to?" "Last I heard he was on earth possessing somebody." "Yeah, that sounds like old Bob all right. Always trying to get attention."

c.d.

Comment

Hello Abby,

My understanding is that the boy lived in Maryland. Author William Peter Blatty lived in Georgetown which is probably why he used it for the setting of the book.

c.d.
                                Thanks cd.
                                So the house , steps whole g town setting is BS?
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X