The Surly Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Fish, and everyone,
    Because nobody then, and now. have any idea what occured on those nights,given all the statements given, the police then ,came to the conclusion that as things didnt fit, something like witnesses mistakes must have occured, something which has filtered down to the present.
    But what if no mistakes occured.. what have we?
    Kelly leaving the court at 9pm onthe 8th[ seen by Prater] wearing her jacket, and bonnet.
    Cox seeing Kelly near midnight , but dressed differently.
    Hutchinson seeing Kelly at 2am on the 9th.
    Prater hearing a cry around 4am ' like awakening from a nightmare'
    Maxwell seeing Kelly at 815am, and 845 am .
    mentions she was talking to a middle aged market porter.
    Maurice Lewis, admits to playing a illegal game of pitch in the court , when he saw kelly leave her room soon after 8am, and return shortly after with milk.
    Lottie , interviewed by Kit Watkins , three years after, mentions that Kelly had a nightmare in which she was 'being murdered' [ note Praters comments] also note the cry 'Oh Murder' which is apt.
    Maxwell describes as a 'Level headed woman' of good character, swears under a cautioned oath at the inquest.
    So What have we ... make sense of all that.?
    Regards Richard.

Comment

• Hi all,

I agree entirely with Sally and Abby. The publicity seeker explanation simply had an established precedent for the police as far as false witnesses were concerned, and it would be entirely understandable for them to have cast Hutchinson in this mould, even if they did so erroneously. Significantly, Emanuel Violenia was a “witness” who, despite claiming to have been at the crime scene at a time relevant to the murder, was not apparently investigated as a suspect, but simply dismissed as a publicity seeker. If we’re not castigating the intelligence of the police for this “oversight”, we shouldn’t really change the goalposts for Hutchinson.

I don’t dismiss Caz’s suggestion that the police “sought to ascertain a new reason for Hutch to have been there innocently, or failing that, to ascertain that he wasn't there as previously stated, and could be safely allowed to drop off their radar”, but there’s a crucial difference between “seeking” to ascertain something and actually ascertaining it, and I can guarantee you that the latter is a lot less common in criminal investigations. The likelihood is that if (a big “if” for which we have no evidence) the police ever came to suspect Hutchinson of ripping, they would not have been able to convert suspicions into proof. But the reality, I suspect, is that Hutchinson was dismissed as yet another bull$hitter and cast into the burgeoning bull$hit basket without the possibility of his guilt ever being considered.

Best regards,
      Ben

Comment

• Can anyone provide an example,a verified case of a suspect being created with the attention to detail that Hutch showed. Surely, if Hutch wanted divert attention away from himself then he would have created something more believable?.
        SCORPIO

Comment

• Hi Scorpio,

Surely, if Hutch wanted divert attention away from himself then he would have created something more believable?
          As I've pointed out on a number of occasions, it simply doesn't follow that if the lie is particularly unconvincing, it cannot have been a lie at all. As such, it cannot be argued that the "unbelievability" of Hutchinson's description lends weight to him not having lied about it and not having used it as a means of "diverting attention away from himself".

It was necessary for the suspect to "stand out" in order to legimitize Hutchinson's interest in following him. Remember that the man's appearance was the reason he gave Abberline for his Miller's Court vigil. This reason would obviously have been invalidated if Hutchinson had described someone who looked more like Blotchy, who would not have been conspicuous either in the area or consorting with a common prostitute. It would also have defeated the purpose of deflecting suspicion in a different direction if he described someone of a similar physical appearance to himself.

All the best,
          Ben

Comment

• Thanks for pointing out the short sightedness in my arguement. However,the general rule in the creation of invented suspects, tends toward more conventional criminal stereotypes,but with few distinguishing features, as most people of normal intelligence realise quickly that remembering so many details on multiple occasions is a tough call. I believe Hutch could have given us such a limited description but provide a simple reason for loitering. Consider Dr Sam Sheppard's " Bushy haired man ", and Sam was considered an intelligent man. Sheppard was convicted,then later acquited of his wife's murder, but the weight of opinion still considers him guilty.
            Last edited by Scorpio; 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM.
            SCORPIO

Comment

• "However,the general rule in the creation of invented suspects, tends toward more conventional criminal stereotypes"
              Yes, but those stereotypes change over time, Scorpio. There are compelling compelling indications that Hutchinson sought to incorporate as many "suspicious" elements as possible into the Astrakhan man creation, and in that regard, it appears he borrowed from both press reports and other witness descriptions. There had been widespread suspicion against the Jews in the wake of "Leather Apron", so he made him Jewish and surly looking. There was suspicion that he might have been a medical man, so he made him well dressed and wealthy-looking, also giving him a black package of potentially knife-shaped dimensions in accordance with several other press accounts.

I agree, it is most assuredly a tough call to both notice and memorize all that Hutchinson alleged, which means he simply over-egged the pudding a bit when constructing his "suspect.

Best regards,
              Ben

Comment

• This is engaging theory;Composite fake suspects are a new concept for me as these bogeymen/scapegoats are usually pretty basic. I just wonder if Hutch possesed adequate motivation and the cognitive skills to achieve it. A feat worthy of Moriarty.
                SCORPIO

Comment

• I just wonder if Hutch possesed adequate motivation and the cognitive skills to achieve it. A feat worthy of Moriarty.
                  I thought you were arguing the exact opposite, Scorpio - that a sensible and intelligent "suspicion-deflector" would construct a more "believable" suspect? Hutchinson's obvious failure in this regard would mean that his was not a feat worthy of Moriarty.

Comment

• Well, i am arguing that an ordinary Joe would probably do that, but your Hutch shows much more imagination.
                    SCORPIO

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
                      Can anyone provide an example,a verified case of a suspect being created with the attention to detail that Hutch showed. Surely, if Hutch wanted divert attention away from himself then he would have created something more believable?.
                      Hi Scorpio

-His story of A-man was initially totally believable by Abberline
                      -In his mind maybe Hutch thought the more detail he gave the more believable A-man would be
                      -what Ben said
                      -If Hutch was the murderer, he wanted to divert attention far away from himself, so much that he would even offer to aid the police in finding this A-man. Therefore he needed to bolster his claim to them with detail that he could indentify again.
                      -If trying to blame jews, the more detail he could provide other than saying he looked jewish, would make A-man more beleivable

Comment

Working...
                      X