Kaufmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EOS finis

Hello All. The end. (Oops! Forgot to mention, "And they all lived happily ever after.")

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Comment

• Slaters

Hello All. I was wondering whom were the City of London firm. Turns out that Slaters is most likely.

(Snippet generously donated by Simon Wood.)

Cheers.
      LC
      Attached Files

Comment

• more

Hello All. A bit more on Slater.

(Snippet from "Irish Law Times." January 24, 1903.

Cheers.
        LC
        Attached Files

Comment

• Aziz ud Din

Hello All. I have found a new and interesting spy for my collection--Aziz ud Din.

Aziz (AKA Ali Mohammed, AKA agent LM) was a British agent. He became a "friend" to Duleep Singh. He blew his cover, however, when he was accused of murdering Thakur Singh. His managers noted that, with that lapse, he was of little further use in the Punjab. (They also noted that, although a good agent, he was "sometimes wild indeed." [a bit excessive in his acting on orders])

By August 1888, he is in London arguing with his "managers" about an open position with Special Branch in India. He threatens that, "If I don't get that position I'll go to Russia." (Quipped Sir Henry Mortimer Durand, "He may go to Russia--or the devil, for all I care.") He seems to have had contact with Pat Casey.

He was finally sacked by Special Branch 1890.

Any further information on this lad would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
          LC
          Last edited by lynn cates; 08-03-2011, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• The Frequency

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Simon. Thanks for that. It really makes one wonder about the frequency of people acting as informants for the police. The attitude now seems clear.

Cheers.
            LC

Hi Lyn,

The frequency of people acting as informants for the police? It goes on all the time, so I doubt if it was any different way back when. Prostitutes themselves make good informants - when they are so inclined - because they hang around the streets looking at potential clients. Just to complicate matters still further, it's not unheard of for an arresting officer to tell a suspect he's been grassed up, even if he hasn't. Not exactly honest, but it doesn't hurt to make 'em a little paranoid dontcha know!
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
              Hello Lynn,

Ding-dong...you're not wrong. He of Black Magic fame huh? Nice find!...

best wishes

Phil
              Was Crowley somehow involved in the ripper crimes/case?
              Just wondering. At least he has a fictional cameo in the From Hell graphic novel. (great read by the way, very well researched & captured the feel of the period)
              " The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. "

Albert Einstein

Comment

• spying

Hello Bridewell. You are right, of course. There was a joke about the Anarchists that half were in pay to the police spying on the other half.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Crowley

Hello Luke. Well, he was a theorist about JTR. You might have a go at Spiro's book which has a good bit about Crowley.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Nihilist murder

Hello All. Found this whilst trawling.

Anyone know the full story or is it another Rachkovski fib?

(Snippet from "Putney and Wandsworth Borough News" September 22, 1888.)

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X