No announcement yet.

Photos of Hanbury Street and Mitre Square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty: Thanks for the Whitby clarification. How many Whitby photos have been printed and which book is best source? I have a copy of The London of JtR, Then and Now. Are there more photos in Phil's book?

Weren't the empty cottages damaged in a gas explosion in the 50s?

That makes much more sense than the bomb hypothesis. I checked out a book consisting of maps of World War II bomb sites in London -- literally hundreds of detailed maps. When I finally located Mitre Square, I discovered that Mitre Street was unscathed but Duke's Place was nearly wiped out.

Comment

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
      Monty: Thanks for the Whitby clarification. How many Whitby photos have been printed and which book is best source? I have a copy of The London of JtR, Then and Now. Are there more photos in Phil's book?
      All the Mitre Square photos are in our Then and Now book.
      The complete collection is available here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	41HaSH5jiKL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	665038

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob. I guess I've seen all of the Mitre Square photos that we currently know about. How did Phil find out about the Whitby collection?

Also, has anyone worked with or contacted the people who run Spitalfields Life? More and more photo collections are coming out of the woodwork; it's just a matter of networking.

Comment

Originally posted by DrummondStreet View Post
          Thanks Rob. I guess I've seen all of the Mitre Square photos that we currently know about. How did Phil find out about the Whitby collection?

Also, has anyone worked with or contacted the people who run Spitalfields Life? More and more photo collections are coming out of the woodwork; it's just a matter of networking.
          Philip knew the family which was handy.

Not sure about spitalfields life, someone involved with ripperolgist might have.

Comment

Spitalfields Life is the awesome blog site for the mysterious chronicler of the East End, The Gentle Author.

They can be contacted on Twitter @thegentleauthor or via email SpitalfieldsLife@gmail.com

For the record Ive never met them however I have met their cat.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              Who appears very reluctant to make any comment on the JTR case.
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Stephen Thomas: I, too, have found very little in the way of JtR over at SpitalfieldsLife, but assumed it was down to the fact that the East End has such a rich and interesting history--JtR is but one aspect. On the other hand, the omission may very well be deliberate.

Monty: How did you meet their cat?

Comment

Working...
                X