Exact boundaries of Whitechapel and other boroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
    Assuming that Swanson did, in fact, write the so-called 'marginalia'; he probably made a mistake. Use of the term "workhouse" (if, in fact, in reference to Aaron Kosminski), was a mistake in itself. Aaron Kosminski was twice admitted to an infirmary; not a workhouse.
    That at least is a mistake Swanson can be absolved of. It was the workhouse, not the infirmary, on both occasions (ref. London Metropolitan Archives StBG/ME/116/5).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
      Assuming that Swanson did, in fact, write the so-called 'marginalia'; he probably made a mistake. Use of the term "workhouse" (if, in fact, in reference to Aaron Kosminski), was a mistake in itself. Aaron Kosminski was twice admitted to an infirmary; not a workhouse.
      That at least is a mistake Swanson can be absolved of. It was the workhouse, not the infirmary, on both occasions (ref. London Metropolitan Archives StBG/ME/116/5).
      Well, then I have made a mistake, for which I cannot be absolved.

Admittedly, I was making an assumption: That Kosminski would have been placed in a so-called 'Imbecile Ward'; and that such a ward would have been part of the infirmary.

Comment

Here is an 1877 map (click) with Poor Law Districts marked with a dotted line and Ecclesiastical Districts marked with a solid line and population shown.

But for the whole of London, this section alone has a special area outlined in purple, with an enblem inside, which is a mystery to me. It doesn't concide with the parish or poor law boundaries of the area as known.

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Link

Colin, you mentioned that link to the brown Parish map has gone dead. Here is a better link but it only gets you so far.

You will notice the list of maps here is north of London. To get the London area maps, including Middlesex, you must center the map on London, then zoom in (use the box in the lower right as a guide). Eventually you will see Middlesex, Kent, Essex etc maps listed.

Roy
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

Another old thread revived

I rather think that to the people living in the area at the time, the boundaries were generally regarded in a far more arbitrary or fluid fashion.

I have ancestors who are described in family history as dying in Stepney poorhouse when it is clear that Mile End Old Town is intended , (My great great grandfather Jeremiah McCarthy, no relation as far as I know, for example).

My own mother is described on her birth certificate as being born at an address in Raine Street, St George in the East - this is all true but she was actually born in the Wapping Poorhouse...which is a piece of official connivance intended to avoid embarassment to folk in this situation.

I've ancestor's described in family history as living in Wapping when Whitechapel was the case, and vice versa...does it matter?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X