Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I really just read a post from Tom saying it will be available on kindle followed by a post asking if it will be available on kindle?

I missed your Berner Street piece at the time Tom. Since then I have seen it mentioned here and there and would love to read it. To give me a chance of a back issue can I ask what periodical and which issue it appeared in?
    All the best with the book.
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
      Did I really just read a post from Tom saying it will be available on kindle followed by a post asking if it will be available on kindle?

I missed your Berner Street piece at the time Tom. Since then I have seen it mentioned here and there and would love to read it. To give me a chance of a back issue can I ask what periodical and which issue it appeared in?
      All the best with the book.
      Hi Ozzy, thanks for that. I'm pretty sure JTRSickert was 'taking the piss' as the Brits say. I've published a number of Stride articles, the first of which was THE BERNER STREET MYSTERY for Ripper Notes #25. If you fee you must have it now, you can buy back issues on Amazon.com. However, my next project will be the book version which will have lots more in it, and I hope to have that out this year. Possibly by summer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks Tom.
        I will probably wait until your book on Berner St. comes out.
        I'll be getting a kindle copy of The Bank Holiday Murders as well.
        These are not clues, Fred.
        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
        We will not.

Comment

Does nobody buy print any more? No skin off my nose either way. I'm curious to see how my print sales stack up to my kindle sales.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

G'Day Tom

Does nobody buy print any more? No skin off my nose either way. I'm curious to see how my print sales stack up to my kindle sales.
            I'd love to see the figures.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

But to answer your question I ONLY buy print.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                I've pretty much gone over completely to Kindle. With it, I can shop for and buy a book any time of the day or night, without even leaving home. I can also carry hundreds of books about with me where ever I go, plus I can do searches in my Kindle books, and enlarge the illustrations. Some of the newer titles are being written with hyperlinks in the text, so that I can jump to follow up this or that footnote.
                - Ginger

Comment

G'Day Ginger

I know this is off thread, but....

Once upon a time in the days of D.O.S. and Windows [the original] I was a computer wizz but I have lost touch. On a Kindle do I see a page and then I turn the page or do I scroll down.

I have a memory that tells me that what I want is say a third of the way through the book, on the right hand page about a quarter of the way down. All the electronic readers I've used I've lost that type of experience.

Does the Kindle come close to rectifying this.

THANKS
                  G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    On a Kindle do I see a page and then I turn the page or do I scroll down.
                    I've got Kindle software on an Android tablet, which I think works identically to an actual Kindle.

The device displays virtual pages. To turn a page, one makes a swiping motion across the screen from right to left, as though turning a physical page. Although the material is laid out in pages, remembering where something fell upon the page won't be of much use in finding it again, as the reader can vary the text size, which causes the print placement upon the pages to vary. There's a search function, and also a slider bar at the bottom that shows your approximate location in the book, so that you can look e.g 2/3 of the way through. You can tap at the text to insert a bookmark, and there's also a function that allows you to comment the book with marginalia.
                    - Ginger

Comment

Thanks Ginger I'll have to have a play with one I had an iPad but hated it, it was way too limited for me.
                      G U T

Comment

I love my kindle but I like paper backs as well. Depends on the book, I guess. I would imagine one day our Kindle accounts will be obsolete and those who only read on kindle will be out an entire library. Like a fire without the soot.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

G'Day Tom

That's another worry I have, having lost a LOT of book at one time when my son separated from his wife and she refused to let him collect about 500 books. So what happens if I've got 500 books on my Kindle and it dies. I also once lost a good number of books when a computer died, and swore I'd never go electronic again, and that was back in the days when you could really only get public domain books on computer. But being able to quickly get books not available here is attractive.
                          G U T

Comment

Hi Gut. your books would be on Amazon's site so could be loaded onto another device. The question is what about when Amazon goes under? Or the author/publisher pulls the rights? With Kindle, books have now lost their resell value. Goodbye to used books.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

G'Day Tom

Goodbye to used books.
                              OMG I hadn't thought of that and whenever I've got an hour or two in a new town [or even in one I know well] I head straight for the nearest used book store.
                              G U T

Comment

That's good news for authors who make no money from used book sales. Now that paper books are becoming obsolete (think of 2014 as 1993 in the era of audio cassette tapes), people will have to purchase their own e-books, because the law prohibits the resale of such things.

So when you buy on Kindle, you're not actually buying anything. You don't own it. You're just paying used book prices for the text. And it can be pulled from you at any time. It's a trade off. As a reader, you give up your right to ownership for the convenience of being able to carry hundreds of books around on a tablet.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X