The Fox and the Flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fox and the Flies

The Fox and the Flies: The Secret Life of a Grotesque Master Criminal (2007).
    by Charles Van Onselen

- Is anyone familiar with this book. And if so, any recommendations or criticisms? The same author has another book published under The Fox and the Flies: The Criminal Empire of the Whitechapel Murderer (2008). I wonder if the title was changed in order to reference the Ripper killings for marketing purposes.

I have the book. As far as I know the two are the same. Silver/ Lis is an interesting character, but the WM part is pure conjecture except the information on Isaacs. The caveat is that the author thinks Isaacs is really Lis.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Yes, this really is not a Ripper book and will convince you of nothing Ripper-wise, but it's also an exceptionally researched book into the times and the movements of an international criminal.

An obscure reference in this book is what led me to seek out a previously unknown source of information on Le Grand as a Ripper suspect, and I plan one day to return to this book to see what other little nuggets might be hidden in there.

So while I couldn't recommend this as a 'Ripper' book, I'd still highly recommend it for its other merits, although it's a bit dense at times.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

You are spot on, Tom. This book is a classic example of finding little nuggets of information despite the conjecture because it was well researched. The footnotes and their sources are the most valuable parts for other researchers... provided that the reader has sufficient knowledge to separate real information from conjecture.

Its the minefield that often has to be tread through in this field. The trick is to already have a good map that shows where the mines are and step around them.
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

As a rule I do not buy suspect books.

I only ordered this book for what it contains about Joseph Isaacs, as that is minimal, and the book was cheap, I'm sure I've not wasted any money.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Gentleman,

Thank you for the replies. I was unsure of whether or not this book was worth the read; however, your reviews do intrigue me, I'll have to give this book a try.

Best regards,

Comment

Thanks Tom/Cris

Since you two in particular feel it's worthwhile, I've ordered it - now there's a compliment you won't get very often!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X