No announcement yet.

"I never killed a man who didn't need killin"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By classic Universal I mean classic Universal Horror ( not that Universal didn't make other good films as well)

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      hmm top 10... that is REALLY hard.. there are so many films I love....

1- My Favorite Year
      2- City Lights
      3- Eraserhead
      4- Duck Soup (or Horse Feathers or Monkey Business)
      5- La Strada
      6- Harvey
      7- not fair to have to pick 1 classic Universal Film!!!
      8- The Hustler
      9- Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)
      10- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

now as it has been said before, this list would change daily.. depending on my mood etc....

Might be better for me to list top 10 films of each genre... but I won’t do that now... unless others want to start that kind of thread

Steadmund Brand--
      Hi Steadmund,

Your suggested thread is acted upon - your "wish" is our command.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

I'll check out those Rathbone films you mentioned.

A couple more Hay films : The Black Sheep of Whitehall where his co-star is John Mills. This has an entertaining car chase in which an economics professor in a bath chair is towed behind Hay's car, with Nazi fifth columnists in hot pursuit. The other one is The Goose Steps Out in which Hay poses as the instructor of a class of trainee Nazi spies in Germany, and contains the scene where he invites the class to give the traditional English form of greeting, which turns out to be a two-fingered salute. He tells them to turn and face the painting of the Fuhrer on the wall when giving the salute. This film, like the Ghost of St Michael's, has Charles Hawtrey.

I loved the Ladykillers scene where 'Mrs Lopsided' has stepped in to chastise Frankie Howerd for being cruel to a horse, and the camera pans from one crook to another as they stare in astonishment at her capacity to inject chaos.

Also I've an idea that when Greene is chasing Peter Sellers under the illusion that he's murdered Mrs Lopsided, a terrified Sellers lapses into his Bluebottle voice when he says "Where's your sense of humour, One Round?"

And of course there's Mrs Lopsided's "I'm going to stay buttoned up."

The whole film is simply marvellous.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Hawtrey plays one of his obnoxious "know-it-all" students in the film "Go To Blazes". You Tube has a sequence from the film that involves Hay, Moffatt, and Marriott trying to put back the sliding pole in their firehouse which they managed to remove while cleaning it. In the end they managed to create total pandemonium in the neighboring streets lugging this huge pole about, and managing to dragoon about thirty or forty men into assisting them. At the same time they decide to follow Hawtrey's advice (yes Hawtrey's!) on how to get it back up to roof and down using physics!! Needless to say Hay puts it into effect only to forget one cardinal point in the operation.

There is also a lovely moment in "The Ladykillers" for Cecil Parker, when "Claude" tries to tell a tale of sadness and woe to Mrs. Wilberforce about how he had fallen onto hard times and joined these ruffians for the sake of an elderly lady not unlike Mrs. W. When she won't budge from her moral position despite the "hearts and flowers" approach, Parker says , "Madam, you are cruel!"

Jeff

Comment

Perhaps at this point it would be better to return this thread to Hardin, and other desperados of the Old West.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X