thought experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    All rabbit stews comprise of caught rabbits. Some of today's non-caught rabbits may eventually end up in a stew, whilst others will live to a ripe old age. It largely depends on the skill (and luck) of the person hunting them as to which category they'll end up in.Why should such a perception exist? I'm sure there are plenty of criminals, with or without delusional personality decay, who simply "get away with it"; just as there are a certain percentage of criminals, again with or without such "personality decay", who'll get caught.
    I suspect you are correct, there are undoubtably many serials who will never be caught. My point is we have a serial x is custody, serial x describes personality decay characteristics (or exhibits them) and researchers in the past have taken that to mean that personality decay is the precipatational factor in the arrest of x. A causal assumption is being made,and I am unfamiliar with the data in regards to what the state of evidence was to make that assertion.
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

It is true,and the authorities at the time acknowledged,there were no suspects by name.Lewis Carroll,and so too Chapman,are suspect only by misuse of the word.There never was evidence of an incriminating nature against either,in any of the ripper crimes.Still I stand to be corrected.

Comment

a happy concession of point

Originally posted by harry View Post
        It is true,and the authorities at the time acknowledged,there were no suspects by name.Lewis Carroll,and so too Chapman,are suspect only by misuse of the word.There never was evidence of an incriminating nature against either,in any of the ripper crimes.Still I stand to be corrected.
        your absolutely correct, it is a poor use of the word suspect on our part. We will always be suspectless by the definition given. B ecause someone is of interest to our understanding, he is not a suspect. That position would be the oft sided and infinately vague "person of interest". Well reasoned and delivered. Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
          There is no evidence whatsoever of that the Ripper should have had any medical/anatomical knowledge or skill beyond that of a slaughterer/butcher, if even that.

All the best
          There is a suggestion that he wields a knife as someone with rudimentary knowledge. The underlying premise is thst Chapman is JtR, Therefore, Chapman has a demonstrated training in medical knife wielding, JtR exhibits such behavior, and IF Chapman were JtR, at this time in his life we should no loger expect JtR type crimes because of fantasy evolution. The killer has not forsaken release, he has however progressed into other areas of behavior to achieve it, I am postulating that one such area would be low medicine.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Therefore, Chapman has a demonstrated training in medical knife wielding, JtR exhibits such behavior
            But Glenn's point was that JTR didn't exhibit such behaviour.

It's one thing to observe that the killer was "no stranger to the knife", but by the Hanbury Street murderer, he wouldn't have been - he had practice in attacking, killing and mutilating women with it. That doesn't mean he had professional training.

Best regards,
            Ben

Comment

no it doesn't but

Originally posted by Ben View Post
              Hi Dave,

But Glenn's point was that JTR didn't exhibit such behaviour.

It's one thing to observe that the killer was "no stranger to the knife", but by the Hanbury Street murderer, he wouldn't have been - he had practice in attacking, killing and mutilating women with it. That doesn't mean he had professional training.

Best regards,
              Ben
              I doesn't mean he had medical trainig, it means if the killer had some experience with a particular weapon, it means that in future crimes, you should expect skill in the area of the crime....I. E. exactly what the physical data reflects.

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                I doesn't mean he had medical trainig, it means if the killer had some experience with a particular weapon, it means that in future crimes, you should expect skill in the area of the crime....I. E. exactly what the physical data reflects.
                I am no expert but I think you would have to know where and how deep to cut to avoid damaging the cervix uteri. It doesn't make you an expert as much as it clearly says I am familiar with this. c.f. Annie Chapman

Comment

Hi Dave,

We don't know if that was due to luck or design. He only managed to extract a portion of the bladder, which can't have been a product of design. Bear in mind that he botched the uterus extraction at the Eddowes murder.

Regards,
                  Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                    Hi Dave,

We don't know if that was due to luck or design. He only managed to extract a portion of the bladder, which can't have been a product of design. Bear in mind that he botched the uterus extraction at the Eddowes murder.

Regards,
                    Ben
                    Agreed we cannot know. Thank You

Comment

I am no expert but I think you would have to know where and how deep to cut to avoid damaging the cervix uteri. c.f. Annie Chapman
                      Unfortunately, Jack also cut through Annie Chapman's colon - something that's often overlooked, or perhaps more accurately "eclipsed", in favour of more sensational sound-bites from Dr Phillips et al.

(Heaven knows what havoc he inflicted on Nichols' innards, by the way. What descriptions we have are pretty ropy even in terms of her more superficial wounds.)
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Unfortunately, Jack also cut through Annie Chapman's colon - something that's often overlooked, or perhaps more accurately "eclipsed", in favour of more sensational sound-bites from Dr Phillips et al.

(Heaven knows what havoc he inflicted on Nichols' innards, by the way. What descriptions we have are pretty ropy even in terms of her more superficial wounds.)
                        looking at the wound patterns as described, I get the impression he is experimenting in a method that he feels is informative.

Comment

... his "technique" seem to vary from murder to murder, Dave, that's for sure. This strongly suggests, not a learned skill, but a rookie experimenting with different approaches.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

O.K. here's the thing, I am NOT a fan of Gordon, but I do believe the pathology of Chapman fits. I believe that after his apprenticeship, Chapman felt deep disappointment (possibly by the realization he was never going to be a Dr. ) and began in his own mind to see himself as wronged because he felt himself capable of being a surgeon. This belief, with the realization that he could kill and get away with it, lead him to experiment as best he could and "practice" on easy prey. It's a thought anyhow

Comment

... his "technique" seem to vary from murder to murder, Dave, that's for sure. This strongly suggests, not a learned skill, but a rookie experimenting with different approaches.
                              Agreed not a learned skill, but I think he knew enough to formulate a methodology he thought would work. I can see chapman thinking, " how hard can it be"

Comment

Hi Dave,
                                I believe that after his apprenticeship, Chapman felt deep disappointment - possibly by the realization he was never going to be a Dr.
                                This didn't stop Klosowski from announcing himself as a mere "feldscher" to friends and family - this, despite his evident propensity to be something of a "Captain Bull$hit" in so many other ways. He seems to have had a good enough time in being a hairdresser and publican anyway: the womanizing, the boat, the American memorabilia, the la-di-da clothes, the self-confidence...
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X