The Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Diary

Was the maybrick diary ever proved to be a hoax?

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
    Was the maybrick diary ever proved to be a hoax?
    Hi Mike,

No, the diary has never been proven to be a hoax.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
      Hi Mike,

Cheers
      It depends upon your definition of "Proof"
      Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
      Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Was there a Diary supposed to be written by Maybrick, then? Blimey, this is a turn-up for the book and no mistake. Mmmm, sounds interesting. Can anyone tell me more?

Regards,

Ivor Hunch
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Was there a Diary supposed to be written by Maybrick, then? Blimey, this is a turn-up for the book and no mistake. Mmmm, sounds interesting. Can anyone tell me more?

Regards,

Ivor Hunch
          It's hard to know for sure Mr Hunch - probably not if the majority on this Casebook are to be believed .. pretty well anyone other than Maybrick, in fact.

Criminal profilers will tell you that felons can't resist coming back to the scenes of their crimes, or worming their way into the investigation. Maybe our forger is actually one of us!

So what were you doing every evening between 1987 and 1992, Mr Hunch?

Comment

"So what were you doing every evening between 1987 and 1992, Mr Hunch?"

Honing the fine art of piss-taking, actually....

Cheers,

Ida Gesstit
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
              Hi Mike,

Cheers
              How much more proof do you need , given all the errors in the work ?

Comment

If there are so many errors in the diary, can someone explain why it still hasn't been proven to be hoax, please?

Comment

Hi Stevey,

Because there's still money to be made in preventing the "Diary" from being exposed as a hoax.

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Simon,

"Ka-ching!"

--J.

Comment

Hi John,

There's a wonderful Hogarth[?] cartoon depicting two farmers disputing ownership of a cow. One is pulling it by the head, the other by the tail.

In the middle is a lawyer milking the cow.

I feel a certain resonance concerning the "Diary" situation.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Hi John,

There's a wonderful Hogarth[?] cartoon depicting two farmers disputing ownership of a cow. One is pulling it by the head, the other by the tail.

In the middle is a lawyer milking the cow.

I feel a certain resonance concerning the "Diary" situation.

Regards,

Simon
                        You got it dead right, Simon!

Graham

Comment

Hi there,

Mike Barrett admitted he hoaxed it
                          The ink has been scientifically proven to be modern.
                          The handwriting in the diary doesn't match Maybricks handwriting in the will or marriage certificate.
                          The Poste House didn't exist
                          There's no record of the 'FM' on Mary Kelly's wall etc, etc.

These are just some of the things i can remember off the top of my head what i've read. Yet people making money from it are still able to prevent it being exposed as an hoax?

How do they manage to refute all that? Especially the scientific evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by stevey View Post
                            Hi there,

Mike Barrett admitted he hoaxed it
                            The ink has been scientifically proven to be modern.
                            The handwriting in the diary doesn't match Maybricks handwriting in the will or marriage certificate.
                            The Poste House didn't exist
                            There's no record of the 'FM' on Mary Kelly's wall etc, etc.

These are just some of the things i can remember off the top of my head what i've read. Yet people making money from it are still able to prevent it being exposed as an hoax?

How do they manage to refute all that? Especially the scientific evidence.
                            Hi Steve,

Well:

Michael Barrett immediately retracted his confession, which appears to have been motivated by strong emotional circumstances.

If the ink has been proven to be modern, then it's game, set, and match - so you need to check your facts re that one, I suspect.

The handwriting issue has been long disputed, and remains a major inconsistency in the forger's work, without yet finally nailing it.

The 'Poste House' anachronism for many people is a major flaw. For others, it is not the certain flaw we need to be convinced of the diary's fraud (see the 'Incontrovertible ...' thread.

The 'FM' on the wall is the source of huge debate with people seeing them, seeing them but saying it's all blood, and plain not seeing them at all.

Overall, although the diary has a series of weaknesses, it also has strengths, and ultimately no one single incontrovertible flaw which has yet compelled it to the wastebin (though, of course, it was in there 16 years ago for many people on this site).

Comment

Hi,

I must say I have always wondered about the FM on the wall. I can also see the word MAY on Mary's right leg. Spooky!

The handwriting has pretty much nailed it for me though.

I could be wrong, but wasn't there a preservative found in the ink which wasn't produced until the 1970's proving it was a modern forgery?

Will read up on the Poste House when I get round to it. Ta.

Comment

Working...
                              X