Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Batman 3 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by DJA 3 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by etenguy 4 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by MrBarnett 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (38 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (28 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (24 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lech versus Kos - (17 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Jack leave his fingerprints on Mary Jane Kelly? - (11 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Sickert, Walter

Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Cadet

Default Ian Porter's essay

Please correct me if I am wrong, but is the crux of the original argument for Sickert the following:

a) Sickert Painted creepy works of art.
b) May have had access to multiple studios in or around Whitechapel.
c) May have authored one or more letters during the Ripper scare.
d) May have traveled to Ireland with his wife after 30 September 1888.
e) Was closer to the prostitutes of Dieppe, but did not avail himself of those unfortunates because the French port town was too small.

Source: Ian Porter's essay on Sickert in Jack the Ripper the Suspects. Published by the Whitechapel Society in 2011

There has to be more to this argument than what I have gleaned from previous literary works. Familial DNA comparisons, matching Sickert's known property to one or more letters would be interesting; however, if this all that Cornwell is presenting in her new book, then it is far from conclusive evidence of guilt.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Superintendent

Hi,
If it could be proven that Sickert definitely penned a Ripper letter, then I would consider it damming evidence, how can any of us seriously suggest that we should ignore someone of eccentricity , that used to dress up as the Ripper, and obsessed with wearing a handkerchief , and painting macabre paintings , and whats more writing letters, and posting them, posing as the killer.
Regards Richard.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Richard

On the evidence, which you discovered, (and which I rate as highly as I rate anything I've seen so far of Ms Cornwells!), I think Mrs Maxwell did the lot of them...not...

Dave
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi,
If it could be proven that Sickert definitely penned a Ripper letter, then I would consider it damming evidence, how can any of us seriously suggest that we should ignore someone of eccentricity , that used to dress up as the Ripper, and obsessed with wearing a handkerchief , and painting macabre paintings , and whats more writing letters, and posting them, posing as the killer.
Regards Richard.
Hi Richard,I will concede all the above points to you but why did sickert stop killing he lived to a ripe old age I do believe and it was only his son with a little help from stephen knight who brought his name into the ripper story.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Cadet

From what I understand yeah, thats what she's running with. I haven't read her book myself but I did see the documentary about it called Jack The Ripper Case Closed. She seems to have made up her mind from the go that Walter Sickert is Jack the Ripper and is twisting her findings to suit that theory.

She manages to get access to alot of the Ripper letters for DNA tests, but it appears that she is only testing the hoax letters, she never tests the Dear Boss letters or the From Hell letter. The only thing she finds is a watermark on one of the hoax letters that matches stationary that Sickert had been know to use. To me this at best proves that either Sickert penned one of the hoax letters, or whoever wrote this particular letter used the same brand of stationary as Sickert.

Also, I've heard that Walter Sickert wasn't in London during 2 or 3 of the murders, is this true? If so, wouldn't that be the first thing you'd check before dropping millions of dollars to accuse a man of being the worlds most notorious serial killer?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Sergeant

Sickert did not' dress up' as the ripper, whatever that means.
He was a great ranconteur who was fascinated by contemporary stories including the Ripper and the Titchbourne claimaint. His art was not macarbre but in a late 19th century realist tradition, his master was Degas, he was one of the first artists to be inspired by photos. His art was about the ordinary working people of a great city.
Apart from the much repeated truth that he was in France during the murders, I do not see how owning stationary from a batch on which someone had written a hoax letter could put him in the frame. There were hundreds of ripper letters written, its like saying anyone interested in a contemporary murder must be a murderer.
Apart from the inaccurate assumptions of her first book, its sounds like Cornwall has swallowed Stephen Knight. The poor cow has a fixation on proving Sickert' dun it' People in that state are beyond rational thought.
There must be better things to do with her money.
I advised anyone who has not done so to read Sickert's writing on art, that will give you a better understanding of the man than all this curfuffel.

Miss Marple
Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
its sounds like Cornwall has swallowed Stephen Knight. The poor cow has a fixation on proving Sickert' dun it' People in that state are beyond rational thought.

Miss Marple
Exactly right. Imagine how fixated one must be to fill two books with tenuous connections, invented motives, ailments, psychoses, unconvincing "evidence" and out-of-leftfield conclusions! What could the motivation be.....oh...wait.......I think I know.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Cadet

She really should stop wasting our time and her money.

I think my idea of who Jack is, is more credible.

I think it is winnie the poo.

They both have the same middle name.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnunweek View Post
Hi,
Regards Richard.
Where is the evidence that Sickert dressed up as the Ripper? How could he dress up as someone who is completely unknown? I am also struggling with the idea that someone obsessed with wearing a handkerchief might be Jack the Ripper.

Bram Stoker wrote macabre books. So did Mary Shelley and even Shakespeare. It doesn't make them murderers. Painting about a topic that was in the news as much as JtR was is no grounds for being a suspect. Even writing one of the letters is no grounds for guilt. Has anyone forgotten the Yorkshire Ripper 'Geordie' hoax?

Cornwell is hijacking popular myth and hearsay and working it into yet more nonsense. She ought to watch out. Using her logic, the contents of her books should make her a prime suspect for any unsolved serial murders in the USA.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Superintendent

Hi.
No grounds for guilt..
Would we say the same if Druitt , or Barnett, or Chapman , was proved to have wrote a Ripper letter.?, or even suspected of writing one.
Regards Richard.