Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court to Hear Case of Bakery That Refused to Bake Cake for Same Sex Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ginger

No, not a democracy if it excluded sane adult people, who had lived there a long time, and weren't incarcerated in a prison (and maybe a few other caveats) from the franchise. Great Britain only became a democracy when women got the vote - although it could be argued that it only became a democracy when the voting age became the same for both genders.

Of course, some countries were relatively democratic compared with others but that's not the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
      Oddly enough, a friend recently traveled to India (Bangalore, where they make the torpedoes), on business. The person who gave him his pre-trip orientation seemed to believe that suttee was still practiced. He and I both have our doubts.
      That's the practice of the widow throwing herself on her husband's funeral pyre? I've read of modern accounts of widows still doing such suicides.

The tradition of ritual suicides by widowed women is still respected in certain communities of India and, despite long ago being prohibited, such cases continue to occur.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        That's the practice of the widow throwing herself on her husband's funeral pyre? I've read of modern accounts of widows still doing such suicides.

https://www.rt.com/news/india-ritual-suicide-sati/
        Ooo! How remarkable! I wasn't aware.
        - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Just my opinion but no one should be forced into commerce that is against their beliefs, moral, religious, whatever.
          I undestand that wish for freedom of opinion, belief and actions GUT. I certainly get uncomfortable when people say “i believe in freedom of speech except for.....” For me freedom of speech is freedom of speech which includes the right to anger, insult and offend.
          A question that we can ask ourselves is ‘would we allow someone to say i wont sell things to black people because it is my deeply held belief that they are inferior.’ The idea would make us uncomfortable at least. But do we say ‘if they want to think like that we’ll let them. They will suffer anyway because how many people would give their custom to a racist tradesman.’ Obviously racial discrimination is prohibited by law.
          These kind of questions we could discuss for ever and never get to an answer that satisfies everyone and deals with every issue.

Ask me an easy one like who was Jack The Ripper
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• This article from USA Today does a nice job of explaining the decision of Justice Kennedy and other Supreme Court justices in the Masterpiece Bakery case. It has some interesting comments about how an apparent victory can also be a loss. I understand what happened better, and feel better about my state and my country now.

USA TODAY: Actually the baker in Supreme Court Masterpiece ruling lost, it only looked like he won. https://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwkdLEszs
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

• Church sign weighs in on the cake controversy:

---------------
              ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Ask me an easy one like who was Jack The Ripper

I've no idea, but I'm just waiting for the suspect book on Trump.
                My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                  I've no idea, but I'm just waiting for the suspect book on Trump.
                  It anyone wrote one they might risk getting accused of blasphemy for insulting the messiah.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                    The muslim caterer gets to offer a menu of what services they do and do not provide. No outside force can come in and demand you make something not on your menu.

The way to respect everyone is: if a baker disagrees with legal marriages in this country, don't make wedding cakes, just like the muslim baker doesn't cook pork products.

End of problem.

How about a muslim wedding caterer who disagrees with both gay marriage and the consumption of pork products? (Presumably the law in the US allows bacon eaters to marry.) He shouldn't be allowed to carry on his business?
                    Last edited by MrBarnett; 06-10-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                      It anyone wrote one they might risk getting accused of blasphemy for insulting the messiah.
                      I will not rise to your bait of trying to pythonise this thread.
                      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                        I will not rise to your bait of trying to pythonise this thread.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                          How about a muslim wedding caterer who disagrees with both gay marriage and the consumption of pork products? (Presumably the law in the US allows bacon eaters to marry.) He shouldn't be allowed to carry on his business?
                          I was initially thinking “do they eat pork cake in London?”

But I take your point Gary
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                          X