X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello!

Hi all!

Just thought I'd post an introduction.

My name is John and I have had a fascination with unsolved crime in general for many years, and obviously the Ripper murders are the most famous of these.
    From time to time, usually after catching a documentary or the publishing of a new theory and to some extent when one of the semi-factual films is shown, I will visit these forums to read up on what your other members think. I will often Google stuff about any topic if I am watching a movie or documentary about it to find out the facts for myself rather than what the movie is asking me believe.
    Obviously, the case has remained unsolved for over 120 years now and there are countless theories. I respect that every single member has his or her own thoughts on these, as do I, and I won't lower myself to petty squabbling over something nobody can be 100% sure of.
    Personally, I like the Carl Feigenbaum theory, but not in the fact that he could have been the Ripper, but that somebody like him was, IE ship personnel. I also like the way the film "From Hell" shows William Gull believing he is in a surgical auditorium while he is mutilating (who he believes is) Mary Kelly. I know the film is only loosely based on the facts and I don't take it too seriously, but it makes me wonder if the killer (of at least Mary) did believe a similar scenario was taking place.
    Only the killer knew what he was really thinking though?....or did he?

Anyway, it's good to be here posting after what seems like years just lurking, and I look forward to some fascinating discussions!

Cheers,
    John

Welcome.

Hope you enjoy Casebook.

Debate and discussion can get pretty intense and heated from time to time, and be warned, some of your ideas might not find wide favour. But join and, and you'll soon find yourself posting alongside some famous names in Ripperology.

I learn huge amounts every time I come on here. We have psosters who are very well-informed (I could say expert) on criminology, psychology, genealogy as well as C19th crime as a whole and, of course, the Ripper case. The other areas of Casebook are also an invaluable source - but then if you have been lurking for a while, you'll know that.

Casebook is a community and like all such we have our moments of celebration and crisis.

I hope you remain posting for a long time to come.

Phil H

Comment

Yes

Welcome John!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi John,

Welcome from me too. I'm glad you don't take the 'From Hell' film too seriously. Abberline was nearly 87 when he died! In fairness, I don't think Johnny Depp took it too seriously either.

Regards, Bridewell.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks all!

Yes, "From Hell" took some blatant liberties with Abberline. I wonder why they did that? Some films will show text at the end to say what became of the characters, but they chose to kill him
          It was still a good film for it's entertainment properties though and I also enjoyed the Michael Caine effort.

Comment

Working...
          X