Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 7 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 47 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Trevor Marriott 59 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 1 hour and 27 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Varqm 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (11 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (4 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (3 posts)
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 78 39.20%
NO 121 60.80%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
Ah the thread that refuses to die. For those just tuning in, our story so far -- the GSG may or may not have been written by Kate's killer. It may or may not express an anti-Jewish sentiment. The writer himself may or may not have been Jewish. As for what the message means nobody knows and guesses are welcome. Stay tuned for further developments but holding of the breath is not advised.

c.d.

C.D.

Very well summed up account of both the facts and the Thread

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Constable

Default I reckon he did.

It's maybe the first case of a serial killer leaving a calling card, certainly not the last. If the Ripper wrote the Goulston Street message, then he's either blaming the judiciary or police, and/or proclaiming himself, judge, jury, and executioner.

Jewes
Jewes Interpretation:Translation jewes, jewes, -esse var. juise Obs., judgement.[1]
Juise Ju*ise , n. [OF. juise. L. judicium. See {Judicial}.] Judgment; justice; sentence. [Obs.] [1913 Webster] Up [on] pain of hanging and high juise. Chaucer. [1913 Webster] The Collaborative International Dictionary of English. Modern.
A GRAMMAR OF MODERN INDO-EUROPEAN Third Edition. Jewes - diks : Judge.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmebill View Post
It's maybe the first case of a serial killer leaving a calling card, certainly not the last. If the Ripper wrote the Goulston Street message, then he's either blaming the judiciary or police, and/or proclaiming himself, judge, jury, and executioner.

Jewes
Jewes Interpretation:Translation jewes, jewes, -esse var. juise Obs., judgement.[1]
Juise Ju*ise , n. [OF. juise. L. judicium. See {Judicial}.] Judgment; justice; sentence. [Obs.] [1913 Webster] Up [on] pain of hanging and high juise. Chaucer. [1913 Webster] The Collaborative International Dictionary of English. Modern.
A GRAMMAR OF MODERN INDO-EUROPEAN Third Edition. Jewes - diks : Judge.
Do you know Pierre?
That was his idea too.

Steve
Old 02-17-2018, 01:36 AM
Detective

Does anybody know what happened to the photograph of the graffiti that was photographed by Inspector Castle?
"Jack the Ripper" at Greenwich. Woolwich Gazette 19th October 1888.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Detective

Actually, it might help if I posted the article. Apologies

"Jack the Ripper" at Greenwich

On Tuesday morning, some writing in chalk was found on the large gate in the rear of the Ordnance Arms public house, Lewisham road.
The following were the words. "October 14, 88. Murder. Dear Boss, if you want to find the head of the body found on Embankment, it is in a sack on the water. I have done another (this word was indistinctly written and might have been 'nothing') tonight. Jack the Ripper. Revenge"
There was a rude drawing of a dagger at the commencement of the writing.
On the discovery of the writing becoming known, a large crowd assembled. A policeman was sent up from Blackheath road to watch the place and see that the writing was not obliterated until it had been photographed, which was done later on the same day by Inspector Castle.

I don't known if this was just a precaution after the outcry over the erasing of the GSG, or had any genuine evidentiary value.
I incline to the former, and a hoax. Still, I wonder where the photograph is?

All the best.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Chief Inspector

Interesting, that this inscription used the word "nothing" in a way that left no doubt that the author was referring to the victim.

Probably a hoax, but too bad the photograph got lost (if it did).
---------------
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin wilson View Post
Actually, it might help if I posted the article. Apologies

"Jack the Ripper" at Greenwich

On Tuesday morning, some writing in chalk was found on the large gate in the rear of the Ordnance Arms public house, Lewisham road.
The following were the words. "October 14, 88. Murder. Dear Boss, if you want to find the head of the body found on Embankment, it is in a sack on the water. I have done another (this word was indistinctly written and might have been 'nothing') tonight. Jack the Ripper. Revenge"
There was a rude drawing of a dagger at the commencement of the writing.
On the discovery of the writing becoming known, a large crowd assembled. A policeman was sent up from Blackheath road to watch the place and see that the writing was not obliterated until it had been photographed, which was done later on the same day by Inspector Castle.

I don't known if this was just a precaution after the outcry over the erasing of the GSG, or had any genuine evidentiary value.
I incline to the former, and a hoax. Still, I wonder where the photograph is?

All the best.
Hi Martin,

Another chalk writing was found in Deptford not too far from this location also in October of 1888.

Echo
London, U.K.
29 October 1888

It is stated that the words, "I shall do another murder, and will receive her heart," have been found written in chalk on the footway in Camplin-street, Deptford."
Old 02-18-2018, 04:26 AM
Detective

Hi Jerry d

That is interesting, a possible reference to Mary Kelly?

In the context of theories abound, a letter appeared in the Daily News 13/10/88 which I offer for consideration.

The Writing On The Wall.

Sir- It seems a very great deal of unnecessary fuss is being made about the rubbing out of the "writing on the wall" in Whitechapel
It seems to be generally assumed that if this writing had been photographed the police would have been put in possession of a trustworthy means of identifying the "hand" of the murderer.
Now, if anyone will take the trouble to write a similar sentence upon a surface of the same kind, he will be astonished at the difference between his production and his ordinary writing.
There are very few people who can write easily and freely upon a black board until they have had considerable practice, and writing upon a less regular surface is more difficult still. At first the letters are much more irregular and much more cramped than in ordinary writing, and the likeness of writing with a pen or pencil and the larger characters traced in chalk only comes out unmistakably after long practice. I have indeed known men who wrote entirely different hands under the different circumstances, so that a knowledge of the true handwriting would by no means have been the necessary consequence of preserving a sentence written under the Whitechapel conditions. Of course the writer may have been an experienced hand at black board demonstrations, but the supposition is not likely.
It seems, therefore that if this writing had been preserved it might very possibly thrown the pursuers off the scent instead of proving the invaluable clue that some suppose.
I am-

A WRITER WITH CHALK

All the best.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 AM
Detective

Reposting some information I wrongly posted on the Leaving One's Beat thread.

A chalk system was introduced by the police so that the beat sergeant could see the officers were where they were supposed to be.
It worked like this. The beat constable made a chalk mark at a known point. The beat sergeant would see it and rub it out.
Next time around the constable would leave another chalk mark, which the sergeant would expect to see on his next inspection.

Herlock Sholmes made the excellent suggestion that mischief makers would rub it out instead, and get the constable in trouble.
Possibly unprovable but must be true.

So the speculation is that policemen were carrying chalk around with them, which I think is of interest.

All the best.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin wilson View Post
Hi Jerry d

That is interesting, a possible reference to Mary Kelly?

In the context of theories abound, a letter appeared in the Daily News 13/10/88 which I offer for consideration.

The Writing On The Wall.

Sir- It seems a very great deal of unnecessary fuss is being made about the rubbing out of the "writing on the wall" in Whitechapel
It seems to be generally assumed that if this writing had been photographed the police would have been put in possession of a trustworthy means of identifying the "hand" of the murderer.
Now, if anyone will take the trouble to write a similar sentence upon a surface of the same kind, he will be astonished at the difference between his production and his ordinary writing.
There are very few people who can write easily and freely upon a black board until they have had considerable practice, and writing upon a less regular surface is more difficult still. At first the letters are much more irregular and much more cramped than in ordinary writing, and the likeness of writing with a pen or pencil and the larger characters traced in chalk only comes out unmistakably after long practice. I have indeed known men who wrote entirely different hands under the different circumstances, so that a knowledge of the true handwriting would by no means have been the necessary consequence of preserving a sentence written under the Whitechapel conditions. Of course the writer may have been an experienced hand at black board demonstrations, but the supposition is not likely.
It seems, therefore that if this writing had been preserved it might very possibly thrown the pursuers off the scent instead of proving the invaluable clue that some suppose.
I am-

A WRITER WITH CHALK

All the best.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter ..... a pathology teacher who had been preparing classroom boards for Monday's start of the Michaelmas Term.

Would be ~ 5'3" by the height of the writing , about the same as the man seen by Long with Chapman outside 29 Hanbury Street.

Last edited by DJA : 02-19-2018 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Last sentence.