Analytic vs Holistic Reasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analytic vs Holistic Reasoning

It seems a lot of the issues on the site are tackled with a kind of 19th cent analytical approach at dissection and analysing the parts ('facts') in isolation. Very Ripperish. I suspect we'd grasp a lot more if we looked at the bigger picture and how everything fits together (or not) and how the evidence reinforces each other (or not). A holistic vision of the case rather than a piecemeal. And one that has a historical and sociological grounding too.

Hi Skidoo

Maybe you'd like to read this, and the subsequent discussion on the old Boards.

Comment

Agreed. The two approaches should be complementary, and it's advisable to take an holistic approach even when focusing on the minutiæ of the case. No fact should be taken in isolation, and likewise no "holistic" approach should ignore the facts.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by 23Skidoo View Post
        It seems a lot of the issues on the site are tackled with a kind of 19th cent analytical approach at dissection and analysing the parts ('facts') in isolation. Very Ripperish. I suspect we'd grasp a lot more if we looked at the bigger picture and how everything fits together (or not) and how the evidence reinforces each other (or not). A holistic vision of the case rather than a piecemeal. And one that has a historical and sociological grounding too.
        What the f*ck...
        This is frustrating to say the least.
        Now, I totally agree with him (?) about the holistic approach (and no doubt this person's intentions are good), and I suppose that he/she is new to the site must be seen as an excuse, but it is a fact that some of us here are actually historians in one way or the other. I myself studied historical research with cultural and sociological direction and I know I am not the only one here with that background.
        Although some prefer to indulge and rely on modern profiling and the murders as isolated crimes and sometimes forgets the historical context, several of us has been trying to use a holistic approach for a long time by trying to look at the broader picture and how the murders fitted into society and the social conditions, how the press reports influenced people of the day etc.
        And God knows 'looking at the bigger picture' is an approach that's not always being met with great applauses.
        As for the lack of sociohistorical approaches, has this person ever read Paul Begg?
        Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM.
        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

I got a grounding in ground hog whisky, I fire rubber bands at the sun - when I'm feeling the devil in me I use condoms - my breath is extremely holistic, I chew through a thousand copies of 'The Times' for breakfast and chuck 'em back up again for lunch, then douse 'em with gazolinas and burn my house down. I get up in the morning and say vat the fuk 'appened 'ere?
          Get my 'Times', rustle it a bit, eat some eggs and then go to the Old Bailey for lunch, where I kick asp. Seven bottles of good red wine later my rubber band has become a fiendish weapon that will wipe out planets with a single flick, then I read the 'Star' and 'Sun', get some tequila down my screech... you just gotta smell my breath by then... Holistically impossible.
          The Duke of Normandy invites me out for dinner and I chuck up all over the table, it's that letter pasta thing, you pick through the vomit and all these court and press reports appear.
          When they clear the table they say 'ucking 'ell wolfman you got some words in that belly of yours, and when they put me in a taxi they say thank fuk for that.
          That's holistic breath for you.
          Or did I mean haliotrocious?

Comment

Erm, yeah, right.

Comment

Posting . . . and You.

--J.D.

Comment

Excellent thanks

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Hi Skidoo

Maybe you'd like to read this, and the subsequent discussion on the old Boards.

http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-ar.html

Comment

Keep you hair on Swedey, I said most not all, and yes I joined the other day...

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                  What the f*ck...
                  This is frustrating to say the least.
                  Now, I totally agree with him (?) about the holistic approach (and no doubt this person's intentions are good), and I suppose that he/she is new to the site must be seen as an excuse, but it is a fact that some of us here are actually historians in one way or the other. I myself studied historical research with cultural and sociological direction and I know I am not the only one here with that background.
                  Although some prefer to indulge and rely on modern profiling and the murders as isolated crimes and sometimes forgets the historical context, several of us has been trying to use a holistic approach for a long time by trying to look at the broader picture and how the murders fitted into society and the social conditions, how the press reports influenced people of the day etc.
                  And God knows 'looking at the bigger picture' is an approach that's not always being met with great applauses.
                  As for the lack of sociohistorical approaches, has this person ever read Paul Begg?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson
                    What the f*ck...
                    You officially qualify to migrate to America, Glenn. Congratulations.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                    X