No announcement yet.

29 Hanburry street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As per post #13, are there any other sound film interviews with cat's meat men or might this be it?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Can you imagine the stink in that place - this was condemned meat! And they slept there in the room too...

JtR must have been familiar with the layout and the habits of the Hardimans, he would never have risked going through the house into the yard otherwise surely? - and how on earth did he persuade his victim to go with him? The mind boggles

Comment

Familiar ain't the word
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Sara,

I think most modern Ripperologists would find most of the East End in 1888 to be quite malodorous, so I'm not sure using a passageway through a home with a cats-meat store in the front parlor was that much more offensive than many other places. Those who yearn for time machines and enjoy modern notions of hygiene are apt to be in for some unpleasant surprises if their wishes are granted.

Don.
          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

That's true! I read somewhere that people kept their windows closed to keep the smells *out* and with chamber pots and unwashed bodies, lack of refrigeration etc indoors, that's a pretty startling thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
              Can you imagine the stink in that place - this was condemned meat! And they slept there in the room too...

JtR must have been familiar with the layout and the habits of the Hardimans, he would never have risked going through the house into the yard otherwise surely? - and how on earth did he persuade his victim to go with him? The mind boggles
              It was probably Annie who knew the layout. It wasnt unususual for people to just walk through doors into buildings. Im sure Annie was quite willing to go with JTR to the backyard.

Comment

And finally an answer...

I've always felt there was some confusion as to when 29 Hanbury Street was demolished. It is often said late 1960s. Don Rumbelow says c.1968. It is also said that it was 1972. Winston G Ramsey has it as April 1970, but he got several things wrong.

I found this today. East London Advertiser, 6th March 1970.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanbury Clipping.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	657190

It's packed with typically dodgy Ripper journalism, but as it copied poorly, here's a transcription:

'JACK THE RIPPER' LANDMARK GOES

The East End lost a “landmark” this week when workmen pulled down a house and the courtyard behind in Hanbury Street, Stepney. The narrow, dim courtyard was the scene 80 years ago of the savage murder of Jack the Ripper’s third woman victim.

Scotland Yard “top brass” and local police from Commercial Street crowded the cobbled courtyard in days gone by when the woman, believed to be a prostitute, was found slumped up against a wall, her stomach slashed to ribbons.

Although Jack may be long dead, his ghost returned to haunt motorists trying to drive down Hanbury Street – police had to seal off the road because of falling rubble and dangerous brickwork.

Looks like Winston was the closest!
                JB

Comment

An excellent find there John!

It's nice to have such an event pinpointed in time so accurately! Now we just need to find proof of when all the other "about 1972-ish" demolitions took place in the East End!

All the best
                  Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                    An excellent find there John!

It's nice to have such an event pinpointed in time so accurately! Now we just need to find proof of when all the other "about 1972-ish" demolitions took place in the East End!

All the best
                    Andrew
                    Cheers Andrew. Which 'about 1972-ish' demolitions would you be referring to? Might be able to help there...

Comment

I was just thinking of Durward Street and George Yard Buildings. They seem to have been demolished around then. And did I once see an illustration printed in a newspaper around 1974 of one of the buildings in Mitre Square that was set for demolition?

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        Sara,

I think most modern Ripperologists would find most of the East End in 1888 to be quite malodorous, so I'm not sure using a passageway through a home with a cats-meat store in the front parlor was that much more offensive than many other places. Those who yearn for time machines and enjoy modern notions of hygiene are apt to be in for some unpleasant surprises if their wishes are granted.

Don.
                        If anyone wants to recreate the 'odours' of Victorian eastend then I suggest a stroll through Abel buildings.

I did that last month and the stench of human excrement was quite exquisit.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I took a couple of friends around the east end last month, and we passed through Abel's Buildings.

Suffice to say, we didn't hang around for long!

All the best
                          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                            I was just thinking of Durward Street and George Yard Buildings. They seem to have been demolished around then.
                            Durward Street (the houses) was January 1972. George Yard Buildings was January 1973.

Comment

Andrew,

Sn experience aint it?

I recall a contemporary news piece on the Coles murder thst describes Swallow Gardens in a similar state.

As for Hanbury St, Ive seen some guides describe the buildings opposite 29 as the murder scene of Chapman, least some got the right side.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

John,

Many thanks for the clarification on those dates.

Monty,

I can imagine Swallow Gardens being just the same, smell-wise! I suppose any public right of way, covered over by a railway viaduct, and therefore not having the benefit of direct rainfall to keep it clean, would smell less than pleasant.

All the best
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X