Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by FrankO 33 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 58 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by FrankO 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre square - sets, what happened to them when it was renovated last year? - by Rob1n 4 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (11 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (10 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (7 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (6 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre square, very upsetting! - (1 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Sickert, Walter

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM
BTCG BTCG is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 116
Default

No sense?

It made no sense, so you were forced to reply.

Pot... meet kettle!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Damaso Marte Damaso Marte is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 454
Default

Thought that just occurred to me: if Casebook were around back then, Sickert would surely be a poster. Imagine the arguments we might have with him@
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-14-2015, 12:11 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,916
Default

Dare I say there is a recently published book, "The Camden Town Murder Mystery" by David Barrat (that's me!) - self-published under the imprint of Orsam Books - which has a section dealing with Cornwell's book, showing a number of errors that she makes. It also shows that there were other suspects than Robert Wood.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-14-2015, 02:46 AM
Rosella Rosella is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,542
Default

The Rising Sun murder does point to Robert Wood, though, to a great extent, and yes I know there were other suspects, her defacto Bert Shaw for example.

However, that little drawing on the 'assignation' postcard, the obviously frantic hunt for it afterwards, Wood's liking for the company of prostitutes, his attempts afterwards to build an alibi by asking a male friend and Ruby Young to lie for him, all point to his being the probable murderer.

Ruby recognising Wood's writing on the card and the fact that he was seen drinking with Phyllis Dimmock at the Eagle pub are all pointers too, IMO. I agree with Miss Marple with regard to Marshall Hall. A modern jury would probably have convicted Wood.

I agree with other posters that Sickert was a man fascinated by murder. The Camden Town murder was a tremendous sensation, just as the Ripper Murders had been. He may well have felt compassion for a young woman so brutally murdered and this may well have drawn him to sketch and paint 'What shall we do for the Rent' and others
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Ausgirl Ausgirl is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
He may well have felt compassion for a young woman so brutally murdered
I really think not.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-14-2015, 08:48 AM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
yes I know there were other suspects, her defacto Bert Shaw for example.
Not a good example for he had a solid alibi, being in Sheffield on the night she was murdered.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Limehouse Limehouse is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridgeshire, England.
Posts: 1,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Wrong!

Sickert WAS the Ripper... he wrote many of the letters cited. The paper evidence as coming from Sickert's quire... you can't argue against this, at least, sensibly (yes, his wife had access to the paper too).

The question is: was Sickert also the killer?

There is no evidence that Sickert wrote any letters at all.

However, if he did, your argument is still flawed because there were many people who wrote multiple letters claiming to be JtR. These people are well documented by Neil Storey and others.

They could not all have been JtR!!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-04-2015, 12:23 PM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,771
Default

To Limehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limehouse View Post
There is no evidence that Sickert wrote any letters at all.

However, if he did, your argument is still flawed because there were many people who wrote multiple letters claiming to be JtR. These people are well documented by Neil Storey and others.

They could not all have been JtR!!
Of course there is the distinct possibility that none of them were JTR.

Cheers John
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Limehouse Limehouse is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cambridgeshire, England.
Posts: 1,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheat View Post
To Limehouse



Of course there is the distinct possibility that none of them were JTR.

Cheers John

I think that is a very likely scenario John.

Kind regards,

Julie
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.