The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
    That truly is a great Ray Charles song, "You don't know me" Limehouse.

Just a slight correction here, in that the song wasn't released in the UK until late August 1962, entering the charts in mid-September. I remember that summer of '62 very well. I was in junior school and there were absolutely loads of great songs around such as Bobby Darin's "Things" and Ray Charles's immortal classic "I can't stop loving you", which was descending the charts just as "You don't know me" was entering the charts.

One of my favourite songs ever entered the charts on August 23rd 1962, exactly 12 months after the A6 murder. This song is magical.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZ3KKZe26A
    Hi SH,

Thanks for the correction. Funny you should mention 'Things' by Bobby Darin as I have a very clear memory of being a very small child at home with my mum, before I even started school, and hearing that song on the radio. It stopped me in my tracks. I don't know why, but it just moved me greatly. It's one of those songs I like enormously, but for some reason, it's so difficult to listen to. Of course, there was a great deal more to Darin that just a crooner. He was a civil rights activist and great friend of folk singer Tim Hardin, who wrote 'If I were a Carpenter'. Drin himself recorded a really moving version of that song. He sadly died far too young - aged about 37 I think.

That Jimmy Justice song sure brings a tear to my eye. It was one of my brother's great favourites. He was about 11 or 12 at the time I think.

It was, indeed, an extraordinary period in time. Politically volatile (as now!) but culturally dynamic and exciting (not as now).

Kind regards,

Julie

Comment

• Just to be clear, Things was also '62.

I think that's what SH meant.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I heard Helen Shapiro's "Walkin' Back To Happiness" (October 1961)a few days ago, and that brought back some not-altogether warm memories of school and church youth-clubs. She's still singing, too.

How innocent everything was back then, until in my case I heard Bob Dylan for the first time and it all changed overnight for me.

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
          How innocent everything was back then, until in my case I heard Bob Dylan for the first time and it all changed overnight for me.
          So true. The times 'they were a changing' for a lot of people post-1961/62.
          Hard to believe that the immortal Dylan is 74 next month.

Incidentally I hope your TKR went well Graham, I had mine just over a year ago.
          "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• I tend to associate pieces of music with what was going on in my life at the time, so here's three :

Sailor by Petula Clark - measles
            I Can't Stop Loving You by Ray Charles - mumps
            Have I The Right? by the Honeycombs - chicken pox

Comment

• Hi SH,

Yes, the Age Of Innocence came to a fairly abrupt end in the early 1960's, and although some might disagree I think as a result the world became a better place. Fifty-plus years on, I still listen to Dylan's early stuff as well as his later recordings.

My TKR went well, and thanks for asking. Nine weeks on, I'm walking fine without sticks, and driving comfortably. I get days when it goes 'tight', but usually the exercises ease that.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Very atmospheric and nostalgic song from Gerry there.
                The song title may read "Ferry cross the Mersey" but it sounds much more like "Fairy", though I've yet to spot one on the River Mersey.
                Laughing about 'fairy', yes and interesting to read there were no ferry's on that Mersey!

Robert, have you ever considered turning on the tv when sick, instead? Lol!

This one IS from 1961:

Celebrating the style & elegance of Blake Edwards (1922 - 2010), with the famous opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). Blake Edwards, Audrey Hepbur...

Comment

• Looking at the cast list, I saw the name of Buddy Ebsen and, further down, "Miss Beverley Hills." I hope the breakfast wasn't possum stew.

Comment

• Beowulf, for TV I remember :

The Good Old Days - toothache
                    Mary Poppins - sciatica

Comment

• Robert,

Lol!

Here! This early sixties song is from me to you. It has a few diseases in it in case you feel like reminiscing

Comment

• Ha, that was a good one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                          Robert,

Lol!

Here! This early sixties song is from me to you. It has a few diseases in it in case you feel like reminiscing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzErh_s62Wk
                          But maybe this bloke can make you better

Cartoons - Witch DoctorI do not own the song, all rights go to respectful owners.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYgOlqinH7A
                            Or a dose of Medicinal Compound

[Video] The Scaffold - Lily The Pink (Wiggy St Helens UK 2008)
                            G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYgOlqinH7A
                              What I find truly incomprehensible is how this has managed to accumulate 29 million hits.
                              "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

What I find truly incomprehensible is how this has managed to accumulate 29 million hits.
                                Just realised that wasn't the best version, but it was catchy at a time, novelty songs were, to say the least, HUGE.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X