Billy the Kid photo could be worth $5m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hanway3 View Post
    About Billy the Kid playing croquet. Wasn't he at the time of the photo, being employed by a British ranch owner?
    Could that be a possible reason for him trying the game, if the owner played it?

By the way, I am English, and I have never played croquet-- or watched Downton Abbey!!
    Yes, that might have something to do with it-good guess.

But I am laughing at my keyboard right now still!!
    Billy the Kid playing croquet!!!LOL. And that sweater!!! Its just too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Yes, that might have something to do with it-good guess.

But I am laughing at my keyboard right now still!!
      Billy the Kid playing croquet!!!LOL. And that sweater!!! Its just too funny.
      Perhaps the apparently incongruous details make this photo more likely to be genuine? Who'd have thought of Billy the Kid playing croquet?

I think it's really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
        Perhaps the apparently incongruous details make this photo more likely to be genuine? Who'd have thought of Billy the Kid playing croquet?

Hi sally
        Mee too. and even thought its an old picture taken at distance, its still pretty clear and it does look like him, to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post

I heard Jack the Ripper played shuffleboard.

Comment

About Billy the Kid playing croquet. Wasn't he at the time of the photo, being employed by a British ranch owner?
            Could that be a possible reason for him trying the game, if the owner played it?

By the way, I am English, and I have never played croquet-- or watched Downton Abbey!!
            I had forgotten that Billy's employer was an Englishman. That might explain where he picked up the game. Either that or he and his gang were going to use the mallets for some un-sportsmanlike purposes on their foes.

Jack the Ripper played shuffleboard (according to Kurt Vonnegut). Well Jack McCall appears to have been really opposed to card playing.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
              I'm surprised he had time - what with his murderin' ways and everything. Not to mention his daily trek to Pickfords....

Comment

The theological significance of shuffleboard

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
                According to Mr. Vonnegut, "everyone" plays shuffleboard in Heaven, good and evil alike.

Perhaps there is a lesson there... Somewhere...
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Great observation.

Putting 2 pics here for comparison.

Was checking out the ears, which they say is the best way to tell. Ears are as specific to a person as fingerprints. The ears, though hard to see, look quite similar.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                    Great observation.

Was checking out the ears, which they say is the best way to tell. Ears are as specific to a person as fingerprints. The ears, though hard to see, look quite similar.
                    Yet many doubt Joe recognized Mary by her ear.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                      Great observation.

I thought there was another photo (besides the one showing Billy holding a rifle) of Billy neatly made up sitting for a portrait?

Looking at Billy in the new photograph, his expression looks like he is losing the croquet match - or studying the croquet field.

Who would have thought of him and croquet? Like remembering Warren Harding played the tuba.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                        I thought there was another photo (besides the one showing Billy holding a rifle) of Billy neatly made up sitting for a portrait?

Looking at Billy in the new photograph, his expression looks like he is losing the croquet match - or studying the croquet field.

Who would have thought of him and croquet? Like remembering Warren Harding played the tuba.

Jeff
                        Are you talking about this one (on the left):
                        Irish news, entertainment and politics coverage from the best daily source for everything Irish: IrishCentral.com

I'm not sure if it's ever been verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                          Are you talking about this one (on the left):
                          Irish news, entertainment and politics coverage from the best daily source for everything Irish: IrishCentral.com

I'm not sure if it's ever been verified.
                          Actually no, but thank you for the opportunity to see that one. The one I recall is a "bust" picture from the shirtfront up, three quarter vies, and Billy has slight sideburns. He was spruced up for that photo (as for the one you showed me).

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Looking at Billy in the new photograph, his expression looks like he is losing the croquet match...

Jeff
                            Next photo: Opponent lying on ground, dead.

Comment

A few more thoughts on this photo, if I may.
                              I must state I have no evidence that the croquet was connected with his British boss, it is just a guess which may be completely groundless. But it did seem possible to me.
                              Has the photo been proven to be genuine yet? And where was it before it came to the junk shop? Any other providence of earlier owners etc.?
                              Do we know who the other man in the picture is? Was he a fellow worker and or gang member? And whatever became of him and the others in the gang?
                              Lots of questions, and I see that Billy could have been born as Henry McCarthy in New York, but has anyone done any research on his parents? There are census entries that say they were born in Britain or Ireland. Does anyone know more? And I know McCarthy is quite a common name but they couldn't be related to OUR McCarthy's. Couldn't they?

Comment

A few more thoughts on this photo, if I may.
                                I must state I have no evidence that the croquet was connected with his British boss, it is just a guess which may be completely groundless. But it did seem possible to me.
                                Has the photo been proven to be genuine yet? And where was it before it came to the junk shop? Any other providence of earlier owners etc.?
                                Do we know who the other man in the picture is? Was he a fellow worker and or gang member? And whatever became of him and the others in the gang?
                                Lots of questions, and I see that Billy could have been born as Henry McCarthy in New York, but has anyone done any research on his parents? There are census entries that say they were born in Britain or Ireland. Does anyone know more? And I know McCarthy is quite a common name but they couldn't be related to OUR McCarthy's. Couldn't they?
                                Hi Hanway
                                Coincidently I just saw a docu on this photo-I think it was in the Missing Evidence series-same as Lechmere doc with Fish ? LOL!

Anyway I didn't see all of it but it has pretty much been confirmed that this is an authentic photo of the kid. There was a team of independent experts that analyzed it.

One way they documented it was they compared known photos of other members of the regulators and matched them up with people in this photo.

They also did a comparison of the other known portrait photo of the kid facial recognition and matched. Also matched his body and amazingly he is in almost the same exact stance.

Interestingly and expert on western attire said that he only knows of one other photo where a contemporaneous cowboy is wearing a sweater and its the other picture of the kid!

Its him.

Comment

Working...
                                X