Lipski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
    Wasn't the Brown case in Holborn or Westminster? I believe Forbes Winslow wanted the authorities to take a look at that one [Brown] if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Westminster.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
      Look no further than Mr Brown Harry, on the so called Double Event night. 3 women had their throats cut that night, and 1 is in no way connected to any Ripper. That's proof positive that other women in East End London, during this period in time, had their throats cut without any Ripper involvement. Kate is obviously different, Liz isn't.
      Look no further?

Mrs. Brown was killed in Westminster, Michael. Her murder was not unsolved, it was a domestic. Please try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
        Look no further?

Mrs. Brown was killed in Westminster, Michael. Her murder was not unsolved, it was a domestic. Please try again.
        Oh...so its unsolved murders without any known motive then? Seems a weak premise to build a list under 1 killer. Why not include all 13 under jack then?
        Michael Richards

Comment

Oh...so its unsolved murders without any known motive then? Seems a weak premise to build a list under 1 killer.
          Yes, Michael. Mrs. Brown's murder was a domestic that was quickly solved. It didn't happen in the same localized area where a series of seemingly motiveless murders involved women having their throats slit.

Why not include all 13 under jack then?
          You might be onto something there!

Comment

Yes, Michael. Mrs. Brown's murder was a domestic that was quickly solved. It didn't happen in the same localized area where a series of seemingly motiveless murders involved women having their throats slit.

You might be onto something there!
            The way many people group these murders you would think they wrote names of murder victims on individual pieces of paper and threw them into the air...and then assume the ones that touch each other when they land were connected.

There are 2 victims within the Canonical Group that were committed by an opportunistic killer who most likely was a stranger to them. He killed to satisfy urges that were known only to him. These are random killings, and they are virtually identical in every important category...they followed the same A to B to C actions, and they were within 2 weeks of each other.

Neither of those murders resemble in any relevant way Liz Strides murder or Mary Kellys murder. They are however similar to Kates murder.

Adding any other unsolved murder to that list requires a full redo on the profile, both pattern and methodology, demonstrated in those first 2 murders. Those are the facts. I have no problem with people playing "what if", I have a problem with doing that without ANY real evidence to support the theorizing. Such as ....Liz Strides murderer changed his mind...or was interrupted, and that explains why she in no way resembles any other Canonical murder. Absolutely unfounded speculation, with zero supporting evidence, unless of course you prefer to use modern serial killer profiling instead of interpreting hard evidence.

When a killer kills almost exactly the same within 2 weeks, its my opinion you have the makings of a profile. In yours, and others opinions, the consistency isn't relevant. I most strongly disagree. The killer of Polly and Annie was someone very sick who had overwhelming compulsion to kill and mutilate strange women when he found them vulnerable on the streets in the middle of the night. Not someone who cuts and runs, nor someone who enters peoples rooms while they sleep.

As I said, Motives, not assumptions, catch killers.
            Last edited by Michael W Richards; 02-13-2017, 12:02 PM.
            Michael Richards

Comment

The way many people group these murders you would think they wrote names of murder victims on individual pieces of paper and threw them into the air...and then assume the ones that touch each other when they land were connected.

There are 2 victims within the Canonical Group that were committed by an opportunistic killer who most likely was a stranger to them. He killed to satisfy urges that were known only to him. These are random killings, and they are virtually identical in every important category...they followed the same A to B to C actions, and they were within 2 weeks of each other.

Neither of those murders resemble in any relevant way Liz Strides murder or Mary Kellys murder. They are however similar to Kates murder.

Adding any other unsolved murder to that list requires a full redo on the profile, both pattern and methodology, demonstrated in those first 2 murders. Those are the facts. I have no problem with people playing "what if", I have a problem with doing that without ANY real evidence to support the theorizing. Such as ....Liz Strides murderer changed his mind...or was interrupted, and that explains why she in no way resembles any other Canonical murder. Absolutely unfounded speculation, with zero supporting evidence, unless of course you prefer to use modern serial killer profiling instead of interpreting hard evidence.

When a killer kills almost exactly the same within 2 weeks, its my opinion you have the makings of a profile. In yours, and others opinions, the consistency isn't relevant. I most strongly disagree. The killer of Polly and Annie was someone very sick who had overwhelming compulsion to kill and mutilate strange women when he found them vulnerable on the streets in the middle of the night. Not someone who cuts and runs, nor someone who enters peoples rooms while they sleep.

do you mean Kate and Annie. theyre the two most similar. Polly didn't have any organs removed.

Comment

Nope, evidence catches killers. Countless murders have been solved without ever determining the motive of the killer.

The problem is you're trying to compartmentalize each murder, which might make sense had these murders been isolated incidents with different MOs, but all of the victims were dispatched in the same manner and all but one were subjected to similar mutilations. There weren't many individuals capable of committing such a crime, hence why these murders were unprecedented at the time and evaporated after Autumn 1888. The common denominator would be the person who committed them.

And there's really no point continuing this discussion when you've said in the past that a serial killer is an anachronistic concept in Victorian England and therefore comparisons can't be drawn with modern criminal profiling.

Comment

Nope, evidence catches killers. Countless murders have been solved without ever determining the motive of the killer.

The problem is you're trying to compartmentalize each murder, which might make sense had these murders been isolated incidents with different MOs, but all of the victims were dispatched in the same manner and all but one were subjected to similar mutilations. There weren't many individuals capable of committing such a crime, hence why these murders were unprecedented at the time and evaporated after Autumn 1888. The common denominator would be the person who committed them.

And there's really no point continuing this discussion when you've said in the past that a serial killer is an anachronistic concept in Victorian England and therefore comparisons can't be drawn with modern criminal profiling.
                  bingo. I would just add that the common denominator IMHO is post mortem mutilation via knife. specifically the abdomen.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    bingo. I would just add that the common denominator IMHO is post mortem mutilation via knife. specifically the abdomen.
                    I agree, but would go a little further - more precisely, the common factor seems to be post mortem cutting open of the abdomen for the desired or achieved purpose of removing abdominal organs.

"Mutilation" in a generic sense, as well as using a knife, occur often enough among serial murders (and one-off murders for that matter), and consequently cannot be used as strong differentiating criteria.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      I agree, but would go a little further - more precisely, the common factor seems to be post mortem cutting open of the abdomen for the desired or achieved purpose of removing abdominal organs.

"Mutilation" in a generic sense, as well as using a knife, occur often enough among serial murders (and one-off murders for that matter), and consequently cannot be used as strong differentiating criteria.
                      Hi Sam
                      yes but post mortem mutilation is what I was getting at. but agree-with target of internal organs.
                      tabram through McKenzie all exhibit post mortem mutilation to abdomen

Comment

1- Sorry Michael i tend to disagree. The MO is consistent, we only have Schwatrz police report that she was attacked shortly before her murder, and even if what he is saying is true would someone then go on to kill her knowing there are at least two witnesses , Schwartz and pipeman who could identify him { especially if it was Kidney, the first suspect the police would turn to ] and send him to the Gallows. The fact that she was an impoverished { probably prostituting herself ] woman , the same as the other victims . In the right area at the right time, during the night , Plus the fact she had her throat cut with a knife,probably silently { no screams heard from the club etc ] and swiftly, lack of defense wounds and the cachous in her hand must weigh heavily in the balance.

Comment

Tom , How can you identify pipeman as Le Grand ? description given to police by Schwartz. Second man: age, 35; ht., 5 ft 11in; comp., fresh; hair, light brown; dress, dark overcoat, old black hard felt hat, wide brim; had a clay pipe in his hand. The height and age seems to be right for him, but surely that description would fit quite a few locals.

Comment

If his aim was the abdomen, Gareth - then why did he cut up all of the body of Mary Kelly?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Hi Sam
                              yes but post mortem mutilation is what I was getting at.
                              Indeed, but my point is that "mutilation" (post mortem or otherwise) is probably too wide a term to usefully differentiate between murders. The examples of Tabram and McKenzie demonstrate how using a non-specific "mutilation" criterion can create an artificially wide net. Tabram was stabbed, with the focus of the stabbings extending "north" of the stomach/upper abdomen (there were umpteen stab-wounds in her throat). McKenzie sustained minor scratches/cuts. Neither woman sustained abdominal cuts of any significance, and certainly not to the extent whereby one could conclude that their killers had any designs on their innards.

Actually, I'd hesitate to say that Tabram was mutilated at all. Of course, multiple stab-wounds are horrifically disfiguring, but they are stab-wounds for all that. The collateral (incidental) damage inflicted by a knife punching into the body produces is rather different from the deliberate scoring and cutting away of flesh, which is how I'd personally define "true" mutilation.
                              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 02-13-2017, 02:43 PM.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Indeed, but my point is that "mutilation" (post mortem or otherwise) is probably too wide a term to usefully differentiate between murders. The examples of Tabram and McKenzie demonstrate how using a non-specific "mutilation" criterion can create an artificially wide net. Tabram was stabbed, with the focus of the stabbings extending "north" of the stomach/upper abdomen (there were umpteen stab-wounds in her throat). McKenzie sustained minor scratches/cuts. Neither woman sustained abdominal cuts of any significance, and certainly not to the extent whereby one could conclude that their killers had any designs on their innards.

Actually, I'd hesitate to say that Tabram was mutilated at all. Of course, multiple stab-wounds are horrifically disfiguring, but they are stab-wounds for all that. The collateral (incidental) damage inflicted by a knife punching into the body produces is rather different from the deliberate scoring and cutting away of flesh, which is how I'd personally define "true" mutilation.
                                well now I disagree
                                Tabram had stab wounds to the abdomen and private parts and McKenzie had also a cut/s to the abdomen. Both done post mortem. serial/killers who continue to stab/cut/ mutilate post mortem are rare. add to that to the abdomen and rarer still.

if your getting caught up by the specific term "mutilate" then fine-how about injuries inflicted to abdomen post mortem by knife? tabram-through McKenzie all.

add to that both also had neck targeted by knife. add to that both were found with skirt raised up show targeting to the naked abdomen---and Ill eat my hat if tabram-mckenzie weren't done by the same man.

Comment

Working...
                                X