Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Bagster Phillips the bedstead was

"hard up against the partition".

Is it likely that the bed was originally against the partition wall, but pulled out to facilitate the taking of a photograph from that side of the body?
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

So do you think that in the 'famous' photo the bed was moved? What are the blankets sitting on to the right of MJK's right leg?

Edit:
      It just occurred to me: Could the bed be in that odd position (two or three feet from both the partition and the back wall) so that the bed was closer to the fire in order for the occupant(s) (in bed) to get more warmth from the fire? After all, it was probably very cold in that far corner. The back wall IS an outside wall.
      Last edited by richardh; 01-14-2013, 10:12 PM.
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
      JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
      ---------------------------------------------------
      JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

BUMP:

Originally posted by richardh View Post
        Question: Where was the wash-stand and could anyone link to an image that they feel might be similar to one used by MJK?

Another question: Should I have the MJK mannequin on the bed or leave the bed empty? Or perhaps put another way, should the room depict before or after the murder?

ta
        Sorry to bump this but I want to get the Miller's Court walk-thru (Ver 1.0)online this weekend and the wash-stand is going to be worked on tonight.
        N.B: I have found the anwer to an earlier question of mine as to what flooring (concrete or boards) No.13 had... It was boards.

Comment

I have found the anwer to an earlier question of mine as to what flooring (concrete or boards) No.13 had... It was boards.
          So I guessed wrong? No surprises there then! Well done Richard...

For my part I'd rather the body was in situ

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

So do you think that in the 'famous' photo the bed was moved?
            It's supposition on my part. There was a second photograph taken which I don't think would have been possible without the bed having been moved. I'm neither a photographer nor particularly knowledge on the subject of 13, Millers Court. Need some input from someone better qualified than I am.

Comment

Right then, I'm almost done with what I'll call version 1 (v1.0) of No.13 Miller's Court. Just a few tweaks but the main room is finished. I will upload it later tonight (27th) for folk to have a 'virtual' walk around.

I've not finished by a long shot. Things need to be added like the pile of folded clothes, the coat at the broken window, things on the table(s) more living utensils, more dirt on the walls and more shabbiness to the room, a proper candle/fire flame etc.

Before I do that I want a critique of the room layout, the partition wall needs to be decided upon, the position of the bed things like that. Once we're all happy then I can proceed with the additions and tweaks.

I will be adding better controls to allow for height adjustments of the viewing camera and perhaps a zoom so it will be possible to view the room and it's contents (and MJK) from all angles.

more soon...

Comment

Miller's Court 3D Now Live

Righto!
                The link below will take you to No.13 Miller's Court. You will need Unity's WebPlayer browser plugin which is free and trusted and takes but a mo to install (unless you already have it installed). The load time for this scene is around 50 seconds on my elderly PC so I guess it would take less than 30 secs on a more modern machine.

Have a walk around the room and let me know your thoughts on what needs work.

Hope you like.

No.13 Miller's Court walk-thru

Comment

wow.....that is bloody awesome......so atmospheric and gives a fantastic perspective of just how small that room is......wonderful !!

Comment

That's quite a strange experience, almost an intrusion. It's possible to "stand" in the corner of the room furthest from the body and not be seen through the window from Thomas Bowyer's vantage point.

Comment

If you want to view the room in full screen just right click your mouse. On my PC the scene starts up in full screen already but on my son's much more modern PC it starts up as a window. So right click and select full screen. Press the esc key to escape.
                      Will be adding a camera height tweak so it'll be possible to view low to the floor or high from the ceiling.

Need feedback on what needs changing. I think the bed is too narrow for a start.

Comment

No matter how much reading we do we can never hope to appreciate what it might have been like when "the beauty and the beast" were confined in that depressing little room.
                        Truly impressive Richard, you've done what words cannot do.

Regards, Jon S.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Richard I'm unable to see your handiwork. I'm getting unsupported browser.

Comment

Ok, that was...words fail me. It was a little scary, a little creepy, and I have tears in my eyes. I couldn't stay very long, but I will be going back to visit. And, yes, I felt like I was visiting a real room.

Very well done!

The only thing I can suggest is to lighten it up a tad. Not much, and I realize you want to keep to the candlelight and night time atmosphere. But I did have trouble seeing things clearly...but that could be my tired, old eyes.

One thing I did notice was the broken upper pane on the smaller window that's right by the door. Wasn't the broken upper pane on the larger window instead? Or am I misremembering?

Thank you so much for doing this! It takes reading about and researching Jack the Ripper and victims to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                              Hi Richard I'm unable to see your handiwork. I'm getting unsupported browser.
                              Are you using a Mac? I was under the impression that Mac was supported by Unity. What browser and version? Gimme the details and I'll investigate.

I think I can create a stand alone version which can be downloaded and opened on your PC.

I'll have a look.

Comment

Very impressive Richard. As close as we'll ever get to actually being in the room.

Comment

Working...
                                X