"The Murderer a Dibbuk!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Murderer a Dibbuk!"

The following cutting from the Jewish Standard of 12 October 1888 claims that poor, superstitious Jews believed the killer was an evil spirit that "answered to the name" of Dibbuk. Can anyone tell me what this means?
    Attached Files

Demon

I believe this website might help.

Encyclopedia of Jewish and Israeli history, politics and culture, with biographies, statistics, articles and documents on topics from anti-Semitism to Zionism.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

This probably belongs in other mysteries, but it is about Dibbiks so it is kind of relevant.

http://www.dibbukbox.com/

Comment

Creepy....
        Would make a good horror story though.
        "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Fascinating and really odd, mind you I suppose it is no weirder than believeing in elves, pixies, ghosts, father christmas, or a chap who was born at christmas and then returned from the dead to 'save' us all.

It never ceases to amaze me how strong the human urge to mystify everything is.

doris
          ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

I wish I had known about the Dibbuk wine box. $280 was a steal! I would love to have a little storage chest like that.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Working...
            X