Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'McCarthy's Rents' art installation

I've found this set on FLICKR.

I've contacted the photographer to find out more about it. This will certainly divide opinion and I can't make up my mind which side of the fence I'm standing on.

On one hand, it could be deeply offensive and on the other, its relative accuracy may be something very worthy of inspection and study.

Views, people?

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Was just going to post this on the boards. We received this today:

Hello Casebook,

I'm writing to share images of an installation that was just installed in the Austin branch of our bookstore/gallery.

McCarthy¹s Rents
    26 Dorset Street #13, Miller¹s Court

An installation by Dave Allen recreating the infamous Jack the Ripper murder of Mary Jane Kelly

... Hope you enjoy the photos.

- Russell

Russell Etchen
    ----------------
    Domy Books, Austin
    913 E Cesar Chavez
    Austin, Texas 78702

Comment

Irrespective of one's opinion of the subject matter, it's clear that an astonishing amount of work has gone into making the reconstruction as accurate as possible.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I would just like to point out that the re-creationist chose to put a "bolster" on the table. Thank you and goodnight.

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

You're right Sam, it does look like it was a lot of work- but how can anybody possibly "enjoy" the photos?

Comment

I guess my question would be: what's the point? WHY did he do it?

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

I agree, Ally.

I don't understand the point of it, I can't really visualize a setting in which such an "installation" might seem appropriate
              or serve any meaningful purpose, and I cannot call it "Art".

I'm afraid the words "morbid", "disturbing" and "prurient" are what come to mind.

I'm a fan of the avante-garde and have quite a large number of friends who are artists, collectors, gallery owners & museum curators, but the only appropriate setting I can think of for this piece is perhaps as an aid in the study of crime scene forensics... but that doesn't seem very practical.

Does anyone happen to know if its creator ever explained their motivation or their goal?

(Please don't say "Art for Art's sake" )

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

A statement from the artist...

Hello all,
                My name is Dave Allen, and I am the artist responsible for the art installation at Domy Books here in Austin, Texas. I was hoping to post the info about the exhibit on this site before it became common knowledge, but in this day and age I guess that was a little too much to hope for...However I am glad it is here for all to see.
                This weekend I will post another message explaining a lot more about the piece and how it came to be and why I chose Mary Kelly's murder for the exhibit, but for now, please know that I'm just an average guy with an interest in true crime, Jack The Ripper, and special effects.
                Most of what went into the installation is information I gathered from reading this site for the last 4-5 months, as well as my own collection of Jack The Ripper books and various other sites I found while digging for information into this horrific crime.
                If anyone has any questions that I can address in my next post, please feel free to write them into this thread and I'll do my best to honestly answer each and every one of them this weekend.
                Thanks to everyone who posts interesting questions, arguments and information on this site. Without all of you, my installation wouldn't have been possible.

Sincerely,

Dave Allen

Comment

It's too late at night, after too awful of a day, to click the links. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be up to it.

On the other hand, I am trying, after a cross-half-country move, not to be quite so tempted by the notion that Austin is now just 8 hours away, rather than 22 hours.
                  ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Questions For Dave

Hi, Dave, thank you for offering to answer our questions.

I used to spend a lot of time in Austin & even lived there once for about 6 months. Austin's pretty hip. I was back for a visit just last January, and absolutely had to go cave-exploring at the Inner Space Caverns again, one of the coolest places in the world!
                    The only problem is that ever since getting home I've been craving good Texas Barbecue. It's hard to come by around here, so I've been going through a slow and terrible withdrawal.

As I stated above, I find your piece "McCarthy's Rents" disturbing; was that your intent?

Is it aimed at the people who maybe don't realize how horrific the Ripper murders really were?

I do realize how sick and reprehensible they were, and that victims like Mary Kelly were once living, breathing, feeling, human beings who suffered ghastly deaths, which is why seeing her turned into an 'art installation' bothers me.

>> Did you create this because you are trying to say something to the people who still think Jack the Ripper was a darkly romantic figure in a long black cloak?
                    If so, do you think it has been effective?

Thanks again for showing up so we could ask you directly; I appreciate it.

Best regards, Archaic
                    Last edited by Archaic; 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Archaic,

Do you know the meaning of the phrase "leading question"?

Dave,

How about just this: Why did you choose to make this re-creation? What was your point?

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Pretty gruesome stuff. No baphomet idol or FM on the wall either.
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Reminds me of something Tracey Emin would do....

Comment

In a rather odd way I enjoyed your work Dave- You're NOT the Dave Allen I went to art college with in the 1970's then!

Personally I find your work interesting
                            Not going to get into bolsters/positioning etc etc- just thnk you've given a great image there- (If you know what I mean..)

Suzi x

Shame the table's wrong...... :/
                            Last edited by Suzi; 11-06-2009, 04:09 PM.
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Dave.

I think your instillation is very interesting, it takes a tremendous leap from the scene depicted in the original image firmly locked in 1888, to the full visual reality.

I have to say if I was closer, I would go see it.

It's certainly a brave exhibit that will engender strong emotion, both negative and positive, either way I would imagine this was an integral part of the strategy for marketing yourself and your work.

As a photographer with a keen interest in the darker side, I attempt to capture the atmosphere I feel at the moment the shot it taken. Some of the places I visit leave an impression on me that I follow up by research, by doing this I get a real feel for the people and events that have passed through the location. Its the closest I can get to actually meeting the people and in a sense "you get to know them".

Without wishing to hijack the thread the above image is an example, you soak up the atmosphere and stand in silent contemplation, visualising the mechanics of such a place.

You have obviously put a tremendous effort into this particular exhibit over a long period, I believe it would have been impossible for you to remain emotionally detached from this horrific event.

My questions to you are, given your interest in true crime, coupled with your research into the victim what were your thoughts and emotions as the exhibit took shape?

Did you feel you got to know Mary and experience her pain?

Or were your thoughts singularly drawn to the author of the crime?

Did you stand in silent contemplation at times visualising the original event as it took place?

And finally upon completion, did you see the murder of Mary differently to
                              when you first started the project?

Comment

Working...
                              X