"Combinable timelines": a non-expert proposal for the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Combinable timelines": a non-expert proposal for the site

I apologize beforehand for the imprecise terminology, since I know next to nothing about web design. I saw that on the site there are already a general timeline for Ripper-related events, and timelines for the canonical victims (maybe I missed some other one). I thought that it could be useful if several timelines, including some which could be compiled for suspects, other characters, political events, etc. could be combined in the following way: at the top of the webpage there could be checkboxes for each timeline, so that only events included in the ticked timelines would be displayed on the page, of course chronologically ordered. I don’t know if the software used for the Ripper wiki can accommodate such features.
    Last edited by eclectic browser; 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM.

Originally posted by eclectic browser View Post
    I apologize beforehand for the imprecise terminology, since I know next to nothing about web design. I saw that on the site there are already a general timeline for Ripper-related events, and timelines for the canonical victims (maybe I missed some other one). I thought that it could be useful if several timelines, including some which could be compiled for suspects, other characters, political events, etc. could be combined in the following way: at the top of the webpage there could be checkboxes for each timeline, so that only events included in the ticked timelines would be displayed on the page, of course chronologically ordered. I don’t know if the software used for the Ripper wiki can accommodate such features.
    Hi there

Presumably you are suggesting combination of timelines to track whether certain suspects would have had the opportunity to have committed the murders. The simple truth though is that we don't know enough about the movements of most of the suspects to know whether their locations at various points in time coincided with the murders. So in other words I am not sure that what you are suggesting would be useful or not. My sense is that it would not be helpful.

Best regards

Chris George
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I suppose that my proposal is unlikely to give us immediate breakthroughs in research, but it could be useful as a compendium and for illustrative purposes, as the wiki is. For example, combining the timeline of Sickert with that of the canonical murders could show at a glance how unlikely it is that the former is the Ripper.

Combining the timelines of, say, a given suspect, the canonical victims, one or more of the alleged Ripper victims or murders such as the torso ones, could give hints to a scholar whether that line of research is worth pursuing.

Finally, a scholar might find unexpected links between events by combining timelines not closely related to the murders, such as timelines about the politics of the age, the police, etc…

Anyway, these are just a non-expert’s musings.

Best regards.
      Last edited by eclectic browser; 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X