Osama Bin Laden DEAD- Killed By U.S. Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osama Bin Laden DEAD- Killed By U.S. Forces

A nearly decade-long manhunt for the mastermind of the worst terrorist attacks on U.S. soil ended north of Pakistan's capital Monday as American commandos killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in a pre-dawn firefight.

Hallelujah!

Finally!

This feels very personal to me. My first cousin was in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 when the planes struck. He barely escaped with his life. Many of our family friends and neighbors did not.

I come from a long line of New York City Firemen going back over 120 years. 343 NYC Firemen were among the 3,000 killed on 9/11.

I'm thinking of them right now, and of all the servicemen and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan- and not just the U.S. forces, but all the Coalition Forces.
    I hope they will be coming home to their loved ones soon.

Best regards,
    Archaic

I fear the retalliation by his supporters.I am genuinley scared of what is going to happen to the world now

Comment

I hate to be a naysayer- I really, really do. But I feel I must say a few things here.

First of all, Osama Bin Laden was not the mastermind of 9-11 as the media has made him out to be, and that is really not in dispute. The acknowledged mastermind was (and I'll probably err in the spelling) Kalleed Sheik Mohammed, who is currently awaiting trial in Guantanamo Bay. Bin Laden certainly played a major part but only as a facilitator, a guy who introduced people to each other and gave them money at the request of others.

Two, Bin Laden's death has been reported unofficially many times since 2001, either in combat or by drone attack or natural causes owing to his kidney problems, etc. He has released no videos since 2002, only audiotapes that could be easily faked, and in his last video appearance he looked clearly wounded.

Three, President Obama has just announced the death of Bin Laden at the hands of an operation he ordered at a time when he greatly needs his approval rating to go up for re-election.

Four- and this is unbelievable- I'm listening to the news updates as I write this and they have just announced that Bin Laden's body has now been buried at sea! If there was one thing guaranteed to fuel conspiracy theories until the end of time, not producing the body would have to be it.

I don't want to be one of those people, I really don't. I hope it's true. We will have to watch for the next day or two. Surely there will be some proof offered? Pictures, video, samples taken from the body for DNA analyses before they disposed of it? Surely. We wait.

p.s. Whether it's true or not, what matters is who believes it and who doesn't, and for that reason I also fear the possible retaliation.

Comment

have just announced that Bin Laden's body has now been buried at sea! If there was one thing guaranteed to fuel conspiracy theories until the end of time, not producing the body would have to be it.
        p.s. Whether it's true or not, what matters is who believes it and who doesn't, and for that reason I also fear the possible retaliation.
        [/QUOTE]

I totally agree !
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

kensei

Perhaps not the mastermind of 911 but he was certainly the figurehead of Al Qaeda. That alone makes this news welcome.

Comment

Agreed, Jason. If it is true it is very welcome indeed.

Comment

If we lived in fear of retalliation all of the time, nothing would be accomplished. Bin Laden was 'the' symbol for Al Qaeda... no matter what his operational status was.

Considering that this SOB had little personal security in a compound surrounded by the homes of many Pakistani officials... and felt safe there, what do we do about all of the aide we have been giving that country? I know what I'd do.

I congratulate our Navy Seals for the great job they did and hope this is a good indication that our president has matured in his leadership... that he now realizes the world for what it is and not what he imagined... and that intelligence derived at GITMO may have played a crucial part in bringing this operation to a successful conclusion... and that there may be some sense of closer for the families who lost loved ones on 9/11.

Right now... I'm one damned proud American!

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Does this mean my Osama Bin Laden cigarette lighter is now worth more or less? The LED still lights up in the WTC but its out of fuel. I just checked. It was some of the spoils of war my next to oldest son brought back from Iraq. I have it with my stash of Saddam money.

Good news if its true. I had him at #2 on my World's All-time Ten Most Wanted list right after JtR and before the Cleveland Torso Slayer who now moves up to second I guess.
                Last edited by sdreid; 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Doubt

Hi all.

Well, to be honest, I'm treating this news with quite some suspicion.

Obama has an election to face, and from what I've been told by American friends, he's regarded by many to be the most incompetent President in years.
                  To get Bin Laden would surely be a huge boost to any President's election campaign, but to declare that the body had been buried at sea arouses the gravest suspicion. To see the body would surely have been the greatest boost to the people of New York, who went through the horrors of 9/11.

Without the body, this may all blow up in Obama's face.

DYLAN

Comment

Originally posted by DYLAN View Post
                    Hi all.
                    Obama has an election to face, and from what I've been told by American friends, he's regarded by many to be the most incompetent President in years.

DYLAN
                    myeah, at least he tried, i just think american people wants all the social securities and social develloppement without paying more taxes, they just don't realize that you can't get health care and hospital for free without paying a bit more taxes, as we say here, they want the butter, the money of the butter AND the cream lady with it! but i also think corporations had their guilt in it...
                    now regarding the "death" of Oussama, well, in religion, a good extremist is a dead extremist...

Comment

Osama Bin Laden - world hide & seek champion 2001-2011.

Osama Bin Laden killed in pakistan.
                      Who said you can't take the bin out on a bank holiday......

The jokes begin.
                      Last edited by jason_c; 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Sadly, while I understand why was necessary, it will not accomplish what everyone here would like to see, which is the end of the violence in the Middle East, or the end of violent radical Muslim (and other violent) groups.

Edited to add...this is what I mean by the above...

Still, I lost a friend/former coworker in 911, so I understand why this had to be done...
                        Last edited by cappuccina; 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM.
                        Cheers,
                        cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

You want jokes?

I'll give you jokes.

Saddam Hussein was bankrolled by American taxpayers' money to wage war against Iran and we string him up. Similarly the Taliban were financed by US taxpayers to **** up the Russians in Afghanistan some years ago and now they're the agents of Satan
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Ummmm, while I understand what you are saying, the Obama Administration did the right thing here, and they are not to blame for the past mistakes....and uhhhh, the "British Empire" has also committed its fair share of human rights atrocities...
                            Cheers,
                            cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

We were allies to Stalin's Soviet Union during WWII in order to defeat the immediate threat of Nazi Germany... and Stalin probably killed more people than Hitler did. Then we fought the cold war with them for the next 45 years.

Priorities change.
                              Best Wishes,
                              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                              X