What does this sign say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this sign say?

I took this picture of the sign above the entrance to the Board School building in Durward Street in 2000. I'm unable to quite read it and would be pleased if anyone could tell me what it says. I've looked into the history of the building to try to find out but to no avail. The second word appears to read "Works" but I can't decipher the first. I have a larger image if that would help.
    Attached Files

Position of entrance and sign

This pic shows the location of the entrance door and sign in the other pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

Elfin?

Comment

Steven, you are correct! Isn't it amazing - I've tried various Google searches trying to find out with no luck. Yet as soon as I google "Elfin Works" + Durward it's mentioned in lots of places. Thanks. I should have posted the question ages ago!

The board school, the only building extant from 1888 was closed down in 1915[8] before becoming Elfin Works, but had fallen into disuse by the 1970s. After many years of being threatened with demolition following a fire in the mid-1980s, it was renovated as apartments in 1996 and is now called Trinity Hall.

Comment

Tis indeed Elfin Works.

The school transformed into a hosiery type business and then, after years of ruin, flats.

Monty

PS It seem our posts crossed Amdyhou. Schroders, across the road, used to supply hats and socks during the war period. There was rumour that there was a bridge between Schroders and the Elfin Works. The man we need is John Bennett who has quite a knowledge of the building.
          Last edited by Monty; 09-17-2011, 03:02 PM. Reason: add a PS
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I see “Elfin Works“ too, although at first sight for a minute I wondered if it said “Hell Works“.
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

You're welcome, amdyhou.

Best wishes,
              Steve.

Comment

Working...
              X