Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi caz.

The postcard says
    number one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off. ha not the time to get ears for police
    He's saying himself that he did not cut Stride's ears. The letter predicted that he would cut an ear. It doesn't say anything about cutting Eddowes' ear. And he didn't cut the ears off, which Dear Boss says he would. He certainly would have had time to cut Eddowes' ears off if he wanted to validate the letter.

There's no way way I can see this as validating the prediction in letter--quite the contrary, he's admitting that his prediction failed and he's attempting to explain it. I see no coincidence here at all, quite the opposite. He doesn't even try to say "I cut the second one's ears, not all the way off, but some, sort of like what I said I would do, but not exactly."

I do see your interpretation of "you'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow." My take on it was that the postcard was written Sunday, and that he's bragging that something will be found on Monday. If this is the correct interpretation, it's a failed prediction.

Comment

Words from the world of Jack the Ripper

The other day I was listening to a Radio 4 phone in when a caller came on who was obviously Southern Irish. He was talking about the MP’s expenses then suddenly used a phrase I thought I would never hear. He said:

“I’m not codding you…………….”

To actually hear those words used in a normal run of the mill way really made me sit up and take notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post

1. He certainly would have had time to cut Eddowes' ears off if he wanted to validate the letter.

2. I do see your interpretation of "you'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow." My take on it was that the postcard was written Sunday, and that he's bragging that something will be found on Monday. If this is the correct interpretation, it's a failed prediction.
        Hi Christine,

On the points I quoted above;

1. I think thats a key to its probable authenticity. If he had time to cut her nose and her apron, he had time for an ear. Not taking any ears from any victim that night shows the writer as someone who did not ensure that his "prediction" would take place,...even when in control at a murder scene.

2. The date of the postcard suggests it was processed in the mail system for delivery on Oct 1st...which leaves it being posted Sunday as viable....and therefore he is suggesting that the Monday papers would be printing the details.

But the first is a strong indicator that the author was not the man that killed on Sept 30th.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post

But the first is a strong indicator that the author was not the man that killed on Sept 30th.
          Sorry...that should have read men.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
            The other day I was listening to a Radio 4 phone in when a caller came on who was obviously Southern Irish. He was talking about the MP’s expenses then suddenly used a phrase I thought I would never hear. He said:

“I’m not codding you…………….”

To actually hear those words used in a normal run of the mill way really made me sit up and take notice.
            Hi Bob,

How wonderful. It's amazing how little things like that can make you prick up your ears. There's a touch of the racing tipster about that postcard too, if you ask me.

Originally posted by Christine View Post
            Hi caz.

The postcard says...

...He's saying himself that he did not cut Stride's ears. The letter predicted that he would cut an ear. It doesn't say anything about cutting Eddowes' ear. And he didn't cut the ears off, which Dear Boss says he would. He certainly would have had time to cut Eddowes' ears off if he wanted to validate the letter.

There's no way way I can see this as validating the prediction in letter--quite the contrary, he's admitting that his prediction failed and he's attempting to explain it. I see no coincidence here at all, quite the opposite. He doesn't even try to say "I cut the second one's ears, not all the way off, but some, sort of like what I said I would do, but not exactly."
            Thanks Christine, but I do know what the postcard says.

I wasnt codding dear old Boss when I gave you the tip, you ll hear about saucy Jacky s work tomorrow double ev-ent this time number one squealed a bit couldn t finish straight off. had not time to get ears for police thanks for keeping last letter back till I got to work again.

The author is saying he had no time to get any ears on his latest job - either in Dutfield’s Yard or Mitre Square. His ‘last’ letter (interestingly Dear Boss is not referred to as his ‘first’) had playfully promised to ‘clip the lady s ears off’ on the ‘next job’ and send them to the police ‘just for jolly’ - ie for the sheer hell of it. Had its author predicted, as you suggest, that the killer would merely ‘cut an ear’, he’d have been spot on, because Kate’s ear was indeed cut. In fact a bit of ear was clipped right off during this first attack on any victim’s facial features, and it only came to light later, when it fell from this one’s clothing - and someone uttered the immortal line: “What’s this ear?”

Anyway, Kate’s killer may or may not have realised at the time that he’d managed to clip a bit of her ear off. It was very dark, his ‘safe’ time was very limited, and his adrenaline would have been sky high if he’d just had a fruitless and frustrating time of it with Liz. So he arguably wasn’t about to spend a whole lot of time severing trifles ‘just for jolly’, especially if it could involve fannying around in the darkness trying to retrieve and pocket them, with the main event still ahead of him. The police would just have to be patient. He could cause real mayhem by bagging a more substantial body part like a womb or kidney.

In that context, having not the time to get ears makes sound sense to me.

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 05-27-2009, 07:40 PM.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Like Caz, I feel the cutting of the ear was accidental. Its common in some throat cuts that the ear gets slashed during the act. One line of thought I had is the author was party to the mutilation, the ear cut, via gossip as opposed to news reports. Reporters and public alike mingled with PCs and information was obtained. See The Star Oct 1st 88.
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty and Caz,

The cutting of the ear may well have been accidental, but I don't believe it ended up in the folds of her dress by accident. Regardless, the Dear Boss/Saucy Jacky author was certainly lucky.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

The fact that in his scene of crime report Brown noted the ear (and not that a portion was missing) indicates it was still attached.

It would seem it either became detached in transit, or during the clothing removal, and fell amongst her clothing. And in turn was noted as her body was being stripped.

There was no indication it had been placed there.

Either the author was very lucky or he knew full well what he was talking about.

Monty
                  Last edited by Monty; 05-28-2009, 10:05 AM.
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

If the ear was in the folds of her dress when the body was moved and then transported,moved again to a slab etc then i'm sure it would have dropped out at some stage,so i agree with Monty on this one,i'm sure it fell off during stripping or transit into the dress folds.

Comment

Little Help

Ok, I have just entered into the world of Jack a few weeks ago, something from the same era reminded me of the situation, so I came to see if something was here. Well I look at the Boss letter and think that he mailed the wrong version to the news, then I look at this postcard and think that it is totally wrong. I mean this thing looks so wrong that I can not believe that it began to work, so can somebody shed some light please? I don't mean that the postcard is wrong, but that postmark looks as staged as it gets. I can not find an "R" postal code for the second postmark, and if that "7" is correct with that "E", isn't that in an area where the postmark would not matter anyway? The thing that I see is that the postmark means the world, and yet areas have mail sitting from Saturday night, until Monday morning; that is a Monday postmark isn't it? I don't know, looks really odd that a person picking mail out of a box doesn't notice a postcard with bright red ink, neither does the guy sorting mail, that puts it in backwards so that the guy stamping it doesn't notice that he stamped the wrong side, so that someone else can spend five minutes to make sure that the stamp is picture perfect straight over a pre-paid postcard stamp, which he does not have to do since the only reason to deface a stamp is so it can not be used again, and you can't with pre-paid, and adds an "R" that is a mystery postal code to me, so that somebody can deliver it Monday morning...and nobody reads it, or calls the police? Is that about right?
                      I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                      Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

How would the postcard read, if the punctuation were improved?
                        Here are some alternately punctuated versions of the text, with each sentence on a new line, for clarity.

Original:

I wasnt codding dear old Boss when I gave you the tip, you ll hear about saucy Jacky s work tomorrow double ev-ent this time number one squealed a bit couldn t finish straight off.
                        had not time to get ears for police thanks for keeping last letter back till I got to work again.

I take this as being understood to read like this:

I wasn't codding dear old Boss, when I gave you the tip.
                        You'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow.
                        Double event this time.
                        Number one squealed a bit - couldn't finish straight off.
                        Had not time to get ears for police.
                        Thanks for keeping last letter back till I got to work again.

Here is a version in which the phrase 'double event', is interpreted as though the writer is suggesting a newspaper headline:

You'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow: Double Event!
                        This time, number one squealed a bit - couldn't finish straight off.

In this version, the reference to ears seems more in reference to 'number one' (Liz Stride), than either of number one or two.

In the next version, 'couldn't finish straight off' is reinterpreted.
                        The phrase 'finish off', in the context of a murder, would normally be a euphemism for 'final action required to end the victim's life'.
                        For a murderer intent on mutilating the victim after death, who had already 'finished her off' by cutting her throat, 'couldn't finish straight off' is an odd turn of phrase.
                        Maybe 'straight off' is actually meant in the sense of; I was straight off:

This time, number one squealed a bit - couldn't finish - straight off!

The phrase 'squealed a bit', reminds me of 'she screamed three times, but not very loudly.'
                        Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

There is another reason to suppose that the standard reading of the postcard is incorrect.
                          You'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow - refers to what day?

Suppose the writer actually began writing the card on the Saturday, and then decided he couldn't finish straight off until completing the 'double event', or that it was too risky to post until the next day.
                          On the Sunday afternoon, he completes the writing and posts the card.
                          Slight problem - the word 'tomorrow' is on the card - which at the time of writing meant 'Sunday'.
                          Too bad - postcards aren't cheap items in 1888, so it will have to do.

Saturday:

Sunday:
                          Jack the Ripper

[smears with blood]

Why would a hoaxer write 'tomorrow', rather than 'today'?
                          A hoaxer would want to make it appear that the card had been written on early on the Sunday morning, and dear old Boss will be hearing about it all, that day, not on Monday.

Comment

Yes, an important fact of the ‘Saucy Jacky’ postcard that is usually overlooked, “You’ll hear about Saucy Jacky s work tomorrow. Many people consider this a mistake, being postmarked 1st Oct, but in fact bears out the fact that it was actually written the previous night, the night of the double murder!!!
                            Strange also how no-one queries "ev-ent". There must be a reason for it.
                            It's rather like the debate on the spelling of "Juwes" or "Jewes", is it a "u" or is it an "e". No mention of why there's a second and unnecessary "e".
                            The devil is forever in the detail.
                            ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good post.

Originally posted by Spider View Post

It's rather like the debate on the spelling of "Juwes" or "Jewes", is it a "u" or is it an "e". No mention of why there's a second and unnecessary "e".
                              The second question I cannot answer at this stage.
                              The first question seems to have been answered here, by a chap going by the name of Jack the Ripper.

Comment

Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post
                                How would the postcard read, if the punctuation were improved?
                                Here are some alternately punctuated versions of the text, with each sentence on a new line, for clarity.

Original:

I wasnt codding dear old Boss when I gave you the tip, you ll hear about saucy Jacky s work tomorrow double ev-ent this time number one squealed a bit couldn t finish straight off.
                                had not time to get ears for police thanks for keeping last letter back till I got to work again.

I take this as being understood to read like this:

You'll hear about Saucy Jacky's work tomorrow.
                                Double event this time.
                                Number one squealed a bit - couldn't finish straight off.

Here is a version in which the phrase 'double event', is interpreted as though the writer is suggesting a newspaper headline:

This time, number one squealed a bit - couldn't finish straight off.

In this version, the reference to ears seems more in reference to 'number one' (Liz Stride), than either of number one or two.

In the next version, 'couldn't finish straight off' is reinterpreted.
                                The phrase 'finish off', in the context of a murder, would normally be a euphemism for 'final action required to end the victim's life'.
                                For a murderer intent on mutilating the victim after death, who had already 'finished her off' by cutting her throat, 'couldn't finish straight off' is an odd turn of phrase.
                                Maybe 'straight off' is actually meant in the sense of; I was straight off:

The phrase 'squealed a bit', reminds me of 'she screamed three times, but not very loudly.'
                                hi not
                                so you have dear boss that gets three things right and saucy jack gets one right-squealed a bit (stride). added to that he thanks them for holding the dear boss letter back until he gets to work. it all adds to their authenticity IMHO.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X