Census details (Recovered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census details (Recovered)

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-4670.html as retrieved on 17 Jan 2008 09:20:04 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
    The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.
    This cached page may reference images which are no longer available. Click here for the cached text only.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1

Google is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
    These search terms have been highlighted: casebook census details littlechild

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police and Officials > Individual Police Officials > Littlechild, Chief Inspector John George > Census Details - John Littlechild

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PDAView Full Version : Census Details - John Littlechild

chris17th August 2007, 12:00 PM
    John George Littlechild

1861:
    North Brink, Wisbech, Cambs
    Head: John Littlechild (Widower) aged 52 born Duxford, Cambs - Brewer's blacksmith
    Children:
    Hester aged 22 born Herts
    Emma aged 16 born Royston
    John G aged 13 born Royston
    Thomas aged 11 born Royston
    Niece:
    Emma Bennett aged 12 born Royston

1871:
    47 Horseferry Road, Westminster
    Head: John G Littlechild aged 23 born Royston, Cambs - Detective Officer M.P.
    Wife: Susan A Littlechild aged 21 born Little Hempston, Devon
    Child:
    Annie P aged 6 months born Westminster
    Sister in Law:
    Fanny Brewer aged 12 born Little Hempston, Devon

1881:
    6 Winchester Terrace, Westminster
    Head: John G Littlechild aged 33 born Royston, Cambs - Inspector Met Police
    Wife: Susan A Littlechild aged 31 born Hempston, Devon
    Children:
    Annie P aged 10 born Notting Hill
    Ada E aged 9 born Westminster
    Florence L aged 3 born Westminster

1891:
    13 Royal Road, Clapham
    Head: John George Littlechild aged 43 born Royston, Herts - Chief Inspr. Metropolitan Police
    Wife: Susan Ann Littlechild aged 41 born Little Hempston, Devon
    Children:
    Annie Palmer aged 20 born Kensington - Telegraph Clerk GPO
    Ada Elizabeth aged 19 born Westminster - Dressmaker
    Florence Louise aged 13 born Westminster
    Gertrude Frances aged 6 born Clapham

1901:
    8 The Chase, Clapham
    Head: John George Littlechild aged 53 born Royston, Herts - Police confidential inquiry agent
    Wife: Susan Ann Littlechild aged 51 born Little Hempston, Devon
    Children:
    Ada Elizabeth aged 29 born Westminster - Clerk
    Florence Louise aged 23 born Westminster
    Gertrude Frances aged 16 born Clapham
    Marion Gladys aged 8 born Clapham

Sam Flynn17th August 2007, 09:37 PM
    Emma aged 16 born Royston
    John G aged 13 born Royston
    Thomas aged 11 born Royston
    Why were they all these "Littlechildren" christened "Royston" before, presumably, later changing their names?

Graham17th August 2007, 09:52 PM
    Why were they all these "Littlechildren" christened "Royston" before, presumably, later changing their names?

Better than having a handle like 'Dressmaker' (Jewish, plainly) or 'Clapham'.

By the way, business took me to Merthyr again yesterday. Brilliant. I watched the shimmer in the air from the heating-duct outlet of the Hoover factory, and caught the mass indifference of the populace to the Valley Burger Bar offering double fries with a Jumbo bacon-buttie. Yes, I'm paid for all this, too.

And I guess that your translation of 'Tafarnaubach' as 'little inns' must wing its way back to toga-toting times and 'tabernae'.

Cheers,

Graham, see.

Sam Flynn17th August 2007, 10:27 PM
    And I guess that your translation of 'Tafarnaubach' as 'little inns' must wing its way back to toga-toting times and 'tabernae'.
    Hiya butt!

Indeed, you're right about the etymology of "tafarnau", pronounced (I'm sure you know) not as "taff-arn-awe", but "tav-arn-eye" - not a million miles from "tabernae". There's a large Latin legacy still evident in Welsh nouns, such as:

cadair - cathedra - chair
    ffenestr - fenestra - window
    llyfr - liber - book
    cwrw - cervisia - beer
    eglwys - ecclesia - church
    braich - bracchium - arm
    gwydr - vitrum - glass
    cleddyf - gladius - sword
    preseb - praesepe - manger
    cwer - cera - wax
    carchar - carcer - prison
    cadwyn - catena - chain

One of my favourites is:

ysgwydd - scutum - shoulder

This is an echo of the Dark Ages, and appears at least as far back as poetry dated to the 7th Century. The Old Welsh "ysgwyd" [shield] came from the Latin "scutum" but, by association with the body part over which the shield was slung, became over time simply the word for "shoulder"!

(Sorry, Chris, for going O/T there!!!)

pearlyanna18th August 2007, 05:09 PM
    Just to extend a little on an excellent post by Chris

John George Litlechild married Mary Ann Palmer 5 Oct 1833 Reed Herts

From the 1841 & 51 census they also had 3 other children

Elizabeth Palmer Littlechild born 1834 Reed Herts
    Kezia Littlechild born Barkway Herts
    Daniel Littlechild born 1841 Royston Herts

It seems Daniel travelled around a lot, 1861 hes inn Warwickshire, 1870 he marries Louisa Jane Cooper in Northampton, 1871 hes in Lancashire.
    On the 1881 Census

Daniel Littlechild ,Head, born 1841 Royston, City Police Constable
    Louisa Littlechild, Wife, bon 1850 London Middx
    Alice Rallings, Lodger, born 1857, london Middz, servant formerly
    John G Rallings, Lodger, born 1861, Edmonton Middx, Coach painter
    Mary A Pritlove, Lodger, born 1845, Bristol, Boot machinist

Living at 5 Clifton St, Shoreditch

Also 1881 Census

Rebekah Rallings, Head, wid, age 38 born Royston, formerly wheelwrights wife
    Clara Rallings, Dau, age 7 born Royston, Scholar
    Alfred Rallings, son, age 6, born Royston, Scholar
    Thomas C Rallings, son, age 1 , born Royston
    John Littlechild, Boarder, age 73, born Duxford, Camb. Formerly Blackmith
    Ernest Baker, Lodger, age 16, born Chishill. Cabinet makers apprentice

Living London Rd, Royston, Herts.

John Litttlechild snrs daughter Elizabeth Palmer Littlechild married John Stemmers Rallings in the Jun Q 1859 Islington, while I can find no direct link with the Rallings living with the Littlechilds from Elizabeths and the Royston connection I would think that both families if not related knew each other
    well.

In 1901 Daniel Littlechild , age 60, born Royston, City of london Polica Pensioner, living Wood Green
    I had not previously known that Littlechild had an elder brother in the police force and I would think it was Daniel who followed John into the force and not the other way round.
    I would very much like to know what Daniel status was in 1891 ,I dont have access to the details,was he promoted, retired or just still a constable living in the shadow of his youger brother, if someone could take a look it would be much appreciated.

Hope this is of interest to someone

Anna

robert18th August 2007, 08:27 PM
    Hi Anna

He was transcribed by Ancestry as Daniel Little Child.

87 Finsbury Pavement, City of London

Daniel Littlechild, 50, Police Constable, City of London, night duty, b. Royston Cambs
    Wife, Pauline, 56, b. Staffs Wolverhampton

Robert

pearlyanna18th August 2007, 10:08 PM
    Thank you Robert, much appreciated

Anna

vBulletin v3.6.0, Copyright ©2000-2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Working...
X