• Show
Clear All

• Missing hour between Mitre Square and Goulston Street

Eddowes is murdered at 1:40am (approx.)
    2:20am Long doesn't see apron.
    2:50am Long finds apron.
    Min. 40min to a Max. of 1hr 10min.
    55 minutes (mean).

So it is approx. 1 hour of JtR moving from Eddowes in Mitre Square to Goulston Street.

He has a knife, bloody apron, left kidney and the major part of her uterus.

Why is he taking so long to go home? What is he doing?
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

There's already a Loooooooooong thread on this.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      There's already a Loooooooooong thread on this.
      Loads of stuff in books too but would like to see what the consensus is here.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
        Loads of stuff in books too but would like to see what the consensus is here.
        And if you read the long thread you'll find out that there is no consensus
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Reading Neil Bell's book....There's a possibility that the doorway wasn't covered in the earlier patrol....The street was divided into three sections on later beat maps.......

Comment

What corner of the apron was cut?

Comment

The likelihood of him hanging around right after the murder is slim.

The likelihood he went home to change and dropped the apron on a second round out that night is more parsimonious. So why go out?

Well it connects JtR with anti-semetic feelings and where he places blame but more likely the hour + was the delay time before going back to Mitre Square to join the observing crowd and police at work over his crime.

Comment

Was there an 'observing crowd' in Mitre Square at 3am in the morning? Mitre Square was a rather out-of-the-way and lonely spot out of business hours.

I do think that Jack had a bolt-hole, in Whitechapel, across the City boundary. He probably went there to clean up, taking his souveniers (kidney and apron) with him. It may only have taken him a matter of a few minutes to go out again, write a contemptuous message about Jews and deposit the apron in the entry of a building housing many Jewish tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                  Was there an 'observing crowd' in Mitre Square at 3am in the morning? Mitre Square was a rather out-of-the-way and lonely spot out of business hours.
                  I thought that the police had already gone around waking up everybody in the area to find out if they had seen or heard anything?

Comment

There were few residents actually in Mitre Square, though. A City policeman and his family slept through the drama in their house, which was the only one occupied. The one next door was dilapidated and wrecked. All the other dwelling houses in the Square were empty.

There was a resident caretaker and his wife in one warehouse and the watchman, George Morris in the other. The Square was swarming with City police by about 2am, but there dont seem to be reports of crowds of civilians standing around.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                      There were few residents actually in Mitre Square, though. A City policeman and his family slept through the drama in their house, which was the only one occupied. The one next door was dilapidated and wrecked. All the other dwelling houses in the Square were empty.

There was a resident caretaker and his wife in one warehouse and the watchman, George Morris in the other. The Square was swarming with City police by about 2am, but there dont seem to be reports of crowds of civilians standing around.
                      There are some sketches of crowds gathered from newspapers but I don't know if its from the time or just sightseeing at later dates. Didn't the police wake more people up than just those in the square? I thought it turned into a major operation that night.

Anyway I suppose a crowd gathering isn't needed. If he went home that would have allowed him time to get the chalk and remove the organs from the apron piece. Then waiting for the policeman to walk by, go write the GSG and leave the apron. Maybe then just go home again, but it wouldn't surprise me after a wash up and getting rid of incriminating things, JtR could have returned to see and enjoy more of the fuss he created.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                        Why is he taking so long to go home? What is he doing?
                        I wonder if he somehow got involved with the search parties coming from Berner Street?

Comment

Anyway I suppose a crowd gathering isn't needed. If he went home that would have allowed him time to get the chalk and remove the organs from the apron piece. Then waiting for the policeman to walk by, go write the GSG and leave the apron.
                          He's got to steal the shawl first...

Comment

What if the killer was in the buildind in Wentworth St,when Long and Halse passed by? As to my question on what corner of the apron was found in the building,I would guess the left ,and that the shape was more of a triangular shape than square or rectangular.Does it matter.I believe so.

Comment

Working...
                            X